According to authorities, 50-year-old Charles Reno of Fairmount, Indiana, was found dead inside an unoccupied building located on the grounds of a Veterans Affairs medical center in central Indiana.
Grant County Coroner Stephen Dorsey told the Chronicle-Tribune that the building was supposed to have been locked.
Dorsey added that he found the three fentanyl patches for pain relief inside Reno's pocket as well as one in his mouth. According to the news provider, the patches can cause an immediate overdose if they are put in one's mouth.
Reno was reported missing by his wife after he reportedly went to visit a friend at the hospital, the news source said.
According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, "fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opiate analgesic similar to but more potent than morphine." Typically, it is used to treat patients seeking to manage their pain following surgery.