LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Wrongful Termination Legal News Articles & Interviews
December 7, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Amazon Retaliates against Women Demanding Fair Pay ]
Seattle, WA In Wilmuth v. Amazon, three professional research team leaders filed a proposed class and collective lawsuit against Amazon.com, Inc. for its established practice of paying women less than men for similar work. It’s the usual gross, dreary, demeaning stuff that women deal with at work. But the Amazon researchers also claim that the company retaliated against them for raising the issue of gender pay discrimination. The retaliation they describe may amount to a form of wrongful termination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
November 19, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Home Healthcare Employer Settles Wage Lawsuit for $700,000 ]
Newark, NJ On October 20, Bayada Home Health Care Inc. agreed to pay home healthcare workers $700,000 to settle an unpaid wage lawsuit. Ivanovs v. Bayada Home Health Care Inc. was a 6-year legal battle. The workers' awards will range from $300 to $6,000, according to the settlement.
October 23, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Customer Service Representatives Stiffed of Pre- and Post-Shift Wages ]
Newark, NJ On September 22, Rusty Brittain and Richard Tounsel, two call center workers, filed a collective and class action unpaid wage lawsuit against their former employer. Brittain v. DialAmerica Marketing, Inc. alleges that DialAmerica had an established practice of failing to pay customer service representatives for all hours worked as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act. Townsel has filed an additional claim under Illinois wage and hour laws. The lawsuit seeks damages and other relief on behalf of all similarly situated employees for the past three years. DialAmerica employs more than 5,000 call service representatives and managers at locations throughout the country, so the affected class could be large.
September 15, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New York Pizza Shops Allegedly Pay Less than Minimum Wage ]
New York, NY A former pizzeria employee has filed a proposed class action lawsuit against the owner of two New York pizza shops, alleging he was paid below minimum wage and was not paid overtime. The complaint claims that an “illegal” tip credit was used to justify being paid no more than $10 per hour. The complaint, which was filed late August in New York federal court, alleges both restaurants violated the Fair Labor Standards Act, New York Labor Law and the New York State Wage Theft Prevention Act.
August 14, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Pepsi and Former Factory Worker Settle Overtime Lawsuit ]
Atlanta, GA A former Gatorade factory worker has reached an agreement with PepsiCo and its subsidiary SVC Manufacturing to settle an overtime lawsuit. Tony Bradley alleged that the company illegally tampered with his time records to avoid paying him time-and-a-half overtime premium pay. He claims that PepsiCo ignored numerous complaints he made to supervisors, HR staff and other management staff about failure to pay overtime work.
July 18, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Au Pairs Can Advertise Proposed Wage Collective ]
New York, NY A Massachusetts federal judge has given attorneys the green light to advertise their plaintiffs’ proposed wage collective, to the chagrin of Cultural Care Inc. The au pairs are seeking unpaid overtime wages from the agency. Culture Care, which claims to be the leading au pair agency and has been placing au pairs with American families for 30 years, attempted to strike almost 2,000 opt-in forms signed by au pairs by claiming that ads on the website the plaintiffs’ attorneys created were “improper and premature”.
June 23, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two Racketeer Lawsuits Filed in Georgia ]
Atlanta, GA Two separate but similar lawsuits have been filed by Mexican professionals in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia alleging racketeering and other labor violations. Jorge Oswaldo Aquino Martinez in August 2022 accused auto parts manufacturer Hyundai, a labor recruiter and staffing agency of bringing himself and other Mexican nationals to the U.S. under false pretenses. In March 2022 Jaime Obregon Acosta filed a complaint alleging that the auto body parts maker SMART Alabama, LLC violated the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
May 21, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Tegria Software Employees allege 80-hour Weeks without Overtime ]
Santa Clara, CA Former Tegria workers have filed a proposed class and collective action claiming the company, which provides consulting and technology services to healthcare clients, failed to pay overtime to consultants who “routinely” worked over 40 hours and often more than 80 hours per week, a violation of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
April 10, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Walmart Faces More Discrimination Complaints ]
Charlotte, NC Walmart has been slammed with two more disability discrimination lawsuits, both filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The retail giant is accused of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act and federal law for terminating employees due to disability-related leave and absences.
April 17, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Truckers Keep Trucking – by the Hour ]
Los Angeles, CA: The Supreme Court’s decision in March to reject the California Trucking Association’s appeal regarding workers illegally misclassified by companies as independent contractors is a victory for the California Labor Commissioner, truckers and teamsters. While the decision doesn’t set a standard for determining whether an independent driver is an employee, workers may be considered employees under the California prevailing wage law.
- Blue and White-Collar California Employees Wrongfully Terminated, National Labor Relations Board Assists By Jane Mundy (Apr-3-18)
- Google Hit with Another California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-5-18)
- Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-18)
- Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-18)
- Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-17)
- Defamation Argument Serves Fired Workers Best By Brenda Craig (Oct-30-15)
- Fired Worker Gets Half a Million By Brenda Craig (Oct-20-15)
- Microsoft Hit with $11.6M Verdict for Wrongful Termination of Star Salesman By The National Trial Lawyers (May-13-14)
- New York Wrongful Termination Results in Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-4-13)
- One Strike You’re Out: Wrongful Termination By Jane Mundy (Oct-1-13)
- Former Hempstead District Employee to Sue for New York Wrongful Termination By Gordon Gibb (Sep-2-13)
- Former Deputy Fights California Wrongful Termination By Gordon Gibb (Aug-29-13)
- Fired Nurse Launches Ohio Employment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-13)
- Firing “At-Will” Not the End of the Story By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-13)
- New Wage and Hour Law Passed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-29-13)
- Pending Trial a Test for California Wrongful Termination Law By Gordon Gibb (Jul-24-13)
- Employee of Kentucky Government Files Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-18-13)
- When a Contract Is Terminated, Is There California Wrongful Termination? By Jane Mundy (Jul-11-13)
- Wrongful Termination - Add Assault Charge By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-13)
- $2.7 Million Awarded in California Wrongful Termination Damages By Gordon Gibb (Jun-8-13)
- Working without California Overtime Doesn’t Spell Job Security By Jane Mundy (May-9-13)
- Wrongful Termination Lawsuits on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Jan-5-11)
- Three Men File Wrong Termination Lawsuits Against Wal-Mart By Charles Benson (Aug-9-10)
- ESPN Facing Wrongful Termination Lawsuit from Former Production By Charles Benson (Jun-15-10)
- Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California By Gordon Gibb (May-24-10)
- Construction Foreman in Wisconsin Sues Former Employer over Wrongful Termination By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Michigan Man Files Wrongful Termination Suit Against Ford Dealer By Charles Benson (Mar-20-10)
- Montana Deputy Sees Wrongful Termination Verdict Upheld By Charles Benson (Jan-5-10)
- Whistleblower protection cited in two wrongful termination lawsuits By Charles Benson (Sep-12-09)
- Former Toyota Rollover Lawyer Alleges Foul Play By Lucy Campbell (Sep-1-09)
- Wrongful Termination and WARN By Heidi Turner (Aug-22-09)
- Whistleblowers Allege Wrongful Termination By Heidi Turner (Jun-11-09)
- Injured Driver Alleges Wrongful Termination, Forced to Keep Working By Gordon Gibb (May-21-09)
- Wrongful Termination Claims on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-09)
- Wrongful Termination: "Totally Horrendous" By Heidi Turner (Aug-2-08)
- Secretary Alleges Firing was Politically Motivated By Ginger Gillenwater (Apr-30-08)
- Judge Stands Firm on Decision to Proceed with Wrongful Termination Suit Against ORU (Apr-6-08)
- Former Employee Files $50 Million Suit against CSX By Ginger Gillenwater (Mar-25-08)
- Former Dispatcher Alleges Wrongful Termination By Ginger Gillenwater (Feb-29-08)
- Charter School Closes Allegedly Citing No Funds Among Misgivings of Financial Misdeeds By Delsia Hartford (Feb-18-08)