LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Wrongful Termination Legal News Articles & Interviews
Tegria Software Employees allege 80-hour Weeks without Overtime
May 21, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Tegria Software Employees allege 80-hour Weeks without Overtime ]
Santa Clara, CA Former Tegria workers have filed a proposed class and collective action claiming the company, which provides consulting and technology services to healthcare clients, failed to pay overtime to consultants who “routinely” worked over 40 hours and often more than 80 hours per week, a violation of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Walmart Faces More Discrimination Complaints
April 10, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Walmart Faces More Discrimination Complaints ]
Charlotte, NC Walmart has been slammed with two more disability discrimination lawsuits, both filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The retail giant is accused of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act and federal law for terminating employees due to disability-related leave and absences.
California Truckers Keep Trucking – by the Hour
April 17, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Truckers Keep Trucking – by the Hour ]
Los Angeles, CA: The Supreme Court’s decision in March to reject the California Trucking Association’s appeal regarding workers illegally misclassified by companies as independent contractors is a victory for the California Labor Commissioner, truckers and teamsters. While the decision doesn’t set a standard for determining whether an independent driver is an employee, workers may be considered employees under the California prevailing wage law.
Blue and White-Collar California Employees Wrongfully Terminated, National Labor Relations Board Assists
April 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Cruz, CA: In October 2015, two Spanish-speaking employees of Goodwill Central Coast were fired for reporting to their manager that another manager harassed them and threatened to kill one of them. Finally their case has been settled: a National Labor Relations Board judge ordered they be reinstated, with back pay. Also in federal court, Walmart is accused of wrongful termination and retaliation, both California labor law violations.Read [ Blue and White-Collar California Employees Wrongfully Terminated, National Labor Relations Board Assists ]
Google Hit with Another California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit
March 5, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Santa Clara, CA: Yet another California labor lawsuit has been filed against Google Inc. by a former software engineer who excelled at her work but, in the end felt victimized by an alleged workplace culture that objectified women. The search engine juggernaut already faces numerous lawsuits alleging discrimination and wrongful termination.Read [ Google Hit with Another California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit ]
Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour
February 16, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California labor lawsuit alleging wrongful dismissal and defamation was quietly settled earlier this week at the 11th hour after a jury had awarded damages to the plaintiff, but had yet to settle on punitive damages. While having awarded punitive damages in the case on Tuesday February 13, 2018, the jury recessed for the day with plans to deliberate the amount of punitive damages once reconvened. Late in the night on February 13, the two parties reached a confidential settlement, ending the dispute.Read [ Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour ]
Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit
January 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Oakland, CA When Eva O’Brien told her boss she was pregnant, he went nuts. He yelled, threw papers, made rude comments about her big belly and breast feeding. Then got in really close to ask if she wanted to quit. She didn’t and things got worse. Lower-paid hourly employees are among the most vulnerable and the least likely to file lawsuits, even in response to outrageous conduct. California wrongful termination law can protect workers like Eva under the “wrongful termination in violation of public policy” provision. But these lawsuits take endurance.Read [ Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit ]
Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal
June 21, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: A Wisconsin employment lawsuit that may have been lost on a complex legal technicality will live on to see another day, following a ruling by a split panel of the Seventh Circuit in Chicago.Read [ Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal ]
Defamation Argument Serves Fired Workers Best
October 30, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Gold River, CA: California employment lawyer Chris Whelan has a rather unassuming demeanor. However, make no mistake, he’s deadly in a defamation deposition when representing fired workers. With more than 30 years’ experience under his belt, he’s won a number of multimillion-dollar lawsuits by arguing that employees were defamed by employers bent on driving them out their job.Read [ Defamation Argument Serves Fired Workers Best ]
Fired Worker Gets Half a Million
October 20, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Beverly Hills, CA: Mike Alder’s firm usually handles cases where there are millions of dollars at stake. However, to Alder, this case was just as important. Big or little, they all matter.Read [ Fired Worker Gets Half a Million ]
- Microsoft Hit with $11.6M Verdict for Wrongful Termination of Star Salesman By The National Trial Lawyers (May-13-14)
- New York Wrongful Termination Results in Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-4-13)
- One Strike You’re Out: Wrongful Termination By Jane Mundy (Oct-1-13)
- Former Hempstead District Employee to Sue for New York Wrongful Termination By Gordon Gibb (Sep-2-13)
- Former Deputy Fights California Wrongful Termination By Gordon Gibb (Aug-29-13)
- Fired Nurse Launches Ohio Employment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-13)
- Firing “At-Will” Not the End of the Story By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-13)
- New Wage and Hour Law Passed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-29-13)
- Pending Trial a Test for California Wrongful Termination Law By Gordon Gibb (Jul-24-13)
- Employee of Kentucky Government Files Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-18-13)
- When a Contract Is Terminated, Is There California Wrongful Termination? By Jane Mundy (Jul-11-13)
- Wrongful Termination - Add Assault Charge By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-13)
- $2.7 Million Awarded in California Wrongful Termination Damages By Gordon Gibb (Jun-8-13)
- Working without California Overtime Doesn’t Spell Job Security By Jane Mundy (May-9-13)
- Wrongful Termination Lawsuits on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Jan-5-11)
- Three Men File Wrong Termination Lawsuits Against Wal-Mart By Charles Benson (Aug-9-10)
- ESPN Facing Wrongful Termination Lawsuit from Former Production By Charles Benson (Jun-15-10)
- Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California By Gordon Gibb (May-24-10)
- Construction Foreman in Wisconsin Sues Former Employer over Wrongful Termination By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Michigan Man Files Wrongful Termination Suit Against Ford Dealer By Charles Benson (Mar-20-10)
- Montana Deputy Sees Wrongful Termination Verdict Upheld By Charles Benson (Jan-5-10)
- Whistleblower protection cited in two wrongful termination lawsuits By Charles Benson (Sep-12-09)
- Former Toyota Rollover Lawyer Alleges Foul Play By Lucy Campbell (Sep-1-09)
- Wrongful Termination and WARN By Heidi Turner (Aug-22-09)
- Whistleblowers Allege Wrongful Termination By Heidi Turner (Jun-11-09)
- Injured Driver Alleges Wrongful Termination, Forced to Keep Working By Gordon Gibb (May-21-09)
- Wrongful Termination Claims on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-09)
- Wrongful Termination: "Totally Horrendous" By Heidi Turner (Aug-2-08)
- Secretary Alleges Firing was Politically Motivated By Ginger Gillenwater (Apr-30-08)
- Judge Stands Firm on Decision to Proceed with Wrongful Termination Suit Against ORU (Apr-6-08)
- Former Employee Files $50 Million Suit against CSX By Ginger Gillenwater (Mar-25-08)
- Former Dispatcher Alleges Wrongful Termination By Ginger Gillenwater (Feb-29-08)
- Charter School Closes Allegedly Citing No Funds Among Misgivings of Financial Misdeeds By Delsia Hartford (Feb-18-08)
- Wrongful Termination: "We call it the Homeland of Insecurity." By Paul Halpern (Jan-14-08)