LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Elder Care Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Nursing Homes Operator Counting on Protocol to Dismiss Lawsuit ]
Lafayette, NJ The Andover nursing homes operator is facing a proposed class action lawsuit claiming poor treatment of residents before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. He argued in federal court to dismiss the nursing home abuse complaint based on state and federal law virus protocol.
March 2, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Repeated Sexual Abuse in Nursing Home Criminal ]
Oswego, NY A female resident in Pontiac Nursing Home in Oswego suffering from dementia was sexually abused three times by another resident who was admitted to Pontiac in 2019. Management declined to tell Pontiac’s doctor and other employees that he was a known sexual offender.
Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight
May 24, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
New York, NY: Since 2017, the Trump administration has been rolling back Obama-era rules intended to protect patients from elder care neglect. Since 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, has been making rules that prevent victims of nursing home injury from bringing civil lawsuits to recover damages for neglect and abuse. Then in 2017, CMS discouraged its regional offices from fining care centers for one-time violations and issued a memo discouraging directors of state agencies from issuing daily fines for certain violations.Read [ Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight ]
October 14, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Courts Continue to Quash Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements ]
Reading, PA When one thinks of nursing home abuse, it would be expected to assume images of mistreatment of the resident through either elder care neglect, or antagonistic and grounds of physical abuse.
September 20, 2012. By Abi Kistler.
Read [ Fatal Attack of Elderly Woman in NJ Alzheimer's Facility ]
Somerville, NJ (Press Release) – Rita Ellinger, 85, afflicted with progressive Alzheimer’s, moved into Arden Courts of Whippany (18 Eden Lane, Whippany, New Jersey) in May 2010 with the hope of living the rest of her life in a caring and, more importantly, safe and secure environment. Instead, according to a multi-count injury and wrongful death civil action filed yesterday in Camden County Superior Court, Ms. Ellinger was attacked by a male resident with a known history of at least two prior violent assaults on other Arden Courts of Whippany residents. Tragically, Ms. Ellinger died five days later from massive brain injuries directly caused by the attack, according to the lawsuit.
July 1, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against Assisted Living Center ]
Lancaster, CA The son of an 89-year-old woman who died of heat stroke has filed a lawsuit alleging elder care neglect on the part of the home. The wrongful death lawsuit claims the home where the victim lived was negligent in allowing the victim to develop heat stroke.
February 6, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Record-Setting Verdict in Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit ]
St. Petersburg, FL A nursing home abuse lawsuit has resulted in a $200 million verdict against a Florida nursing home. Like other lawsuits alleging elder care neglect, this nursing home injury lawsuit alleged an elderly woman received inadequate care at the hands of those who were supposed to protect her.
May 11, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Questionable Deaths Reported in Florida's Assisted Living Facilities ]
Miami, FL A report by NPR and the Miami Herald has revealed that state regulators in Florida are not adequately protecting residents of assisted living facilities. According to their report, dozens of deaths in Florida state records appear questionable.
April 27, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Nursing Home Abuse Criminal ]
Washington, DC More than 90 percent of US nursing homes have at least one employee who has been convicted of a crime, and five percent of all nursing home employees have at least one criminal conviction, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. According to this new report (March 2011), it comes as no surprise that nursing home abuse is rampant: Some nursing home employees had been convicted of assault.
February 4, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Families Should Be on Guard for Nursing Home Neglect ]
New York, NY Families of nursing home residents need to be on guard says personal injury and medical malpractice attorney Paul Dansker. "There are a few basic problems that occur over and over again," says Dansker. "And those problems can be very, very dangerous."
- Man Sentenced to 17 Years for Raping a 94-Year Old Nursing Home Resident By Lucy Campbell (Jan-29-11)
- Sexual Violence Against Female Residents of Chicago Nursing Homes By Lucy Campbell (Jan-28-11)
- Second Suspect Arrested in Care Facility Abuse Case By Lucy Campbell (Jan-19-11)
- Victim Barred from Testifying in Nursing Home Abuse Case By Charles Benson (Nov-3-10)
- Attorneys Unravel Nursing Home Debacle By Brenda Craig (Sep-15-10)
- Alleged Nursing Home Sexual Abuse Not Reported to Victim's Family By Gordon Gibb (Aug-23-10)
- Ohio Woman Withdraws Guilty Plea in Nursing Home Abuse Case By Charles Benson (Jul-13-10)
- The Dangers of Corporate For-profit Elder Care By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-10)
- New Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit Filed in Illinois By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Richmond Woman Faces Charges of Nursing Home Abuse after Alleged Kidnapping Plot By Charles Benson (Mar-29-10)
- Three Elder Care Homes Fined in Iowa By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-10)
- Two Minnesota Law Firms Launch Case over Nursing Home Abuse By Charles Benson (Feb-2-10)
- New York Nursing Home Loses $19 Million Lawsuit Charging Elder Care Neglect By Charles Benson (Jan-2-10)
- Nursing Home, Nurses' Aides Sued for Nursing Home Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Dec-5-09)
- Nursing Home Abuse Threatens Vulnerable Patients By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-09)
- Ex Cons Caring for our Elderly in Florida By Gordon Gibb (Sep-29-09)
- Bad Behavior Returning to the Nursing Home Business By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-09)
- Maggots in Leg Wound Seen as Nursing Home Negligence By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-09)
- Nursing Home Neglect Affects the Most Vulnerable By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-09)
- Nursing Home Abuse Continues to be a Scourge By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-09)
- An Emerging Form of Nursing Home Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-09)
- When Mean Girls Lurk in the Nursing Home By Gordon Gibb (Dec-18-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: When Elder Care Isn't There By Gordon Gibb (Nov-15-08)
- Nursing Home Giant Focus of Class Action Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-23-08)
- Nursing Home Evictions Equated to Human Dumping By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-08)
- Nursing Home to Pay for Alleged Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Aug-10-08)
- Nursing Home Negligence: Tyranny in a Care Giver's Clothes By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse of the Worst Kind: Rape By Gordon Gibb (Jun-19-08)
- Loss of Dignity: Sum of $904,200 Awarded in Eldercare Lawsuit (May-20-08)
- Nursing Home Owner Charged with Neglect By Ginger Gillenwater (Apr-24-08)
- Family to File Lawsuit against Nursing Home for Death By Ginger Gillenwater (Apr-8-08)
- Death of Elderly Mother Due to Arsenic Death Causes Daughter to File Suit By Delsia Hartford (Mar-16-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: Organizations Defend Seniors By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-08)
- Blossom South Nursing Home Sued By Ginger Gillenwater (Mar-3-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: "Common but Underreported" By Heidi Turner (Feb-24-08)
- Shocking Cases of Nursing Home Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-08)
- Nursing Home Nurse Accused of Abusing Patients By Ginger Gillenwater (Feb-6-08)
- Nursing Home: "Abuse Used to get Residents to Comply" By Heidi Turner (Feb-1-08)
- More Lawsuits Filed Against Nursing Homes Alleging Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-20-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: An Overview By Heidi Turner (Jan-12-08)