LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
DRUGS/DEVICES Legal News Articles & Interviews
May 28, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Washington, D.C. The American Association of Justice’s (AAJ) review of 150 years of drugs and devices offered to ostensibly improve or protect the health of women, sometimes with devastating even deadly results, is a well-researched, informative and sometimes oddly entertaining read.Read [ Deadly Drugs and Devices Report by AAJ is a Must Read for Women ]
April 14, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Study Reveals Doctors Not Told About Serious Drug Side Effects ]
Vancouver, BC While drug companies do not have the moral, ethical or legal authority to promote drugs off-label for uses for which they are not indicated, doctors can, and do. That’s because a doctor’s knowledge and training allows the physician to assess the needs of a patient against the monographic and other formulaic information associated with a specific drug, and prescribe the medication for an indication not sanctioned by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or Health Canada.
December 22, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ 12 Million Bottles of Motrin Recalled ]
Washington, DC McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division of McNeil PPC Inc. (McNeil) has announced a recall of certain lots of Motrin IB 24 count coated caplets, Motrin IB 24 count coated tablets and Motrin IB 24+6 count coated caplets from retailers. The recall involves 12 million bottles of the pain reliever.
October 31, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ YAZ/Yasmin Increases Risk of Blood Clots by 75 Percent, Says FDA Study ]
Washington, DC According to results from a new study released by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), newer generation birth control pills such as YAZ/Yasmin increase the risk of blood clots more than older generation pills.
March 26, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Could Fertility Drugs Foster Mad Cow Disease in Humans? ]
Vancouver, BC For the first time anywhere, a Canadian study has revealed a potential for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) associated with the use of fertility drugs. A close cousin of CJD is bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), more commonly known as "mad cow disease." Study authors stress that so far the danger is theoretical—and if there were a risk at all, the risk would likely be minor at best. There have been no reported cases.
January 18, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GSK To Pay Billions More over Avandia ]
London, UK GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the maker of the infamous diabetes medication, Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate), has announced that it will set aside $3.4 billion to pay for investigations by the US government and product liability lawsuits stemming from its marketing of the drug. The amount is expected to wipe-out GSK's quarterly profit which will be reported on February 3.
December 17, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA to Remove Breast Cancer Indication for Avastin ]
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has announced that the agency is recommending removing the breast cancer indication from the label for Avastin (bevacizumab) because the drug has not been shown to be safe and effective for that use.
December 14, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Death by Overdose of 5 Children Prompts FDA Warning for Tessalon ]
Washington, DC The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that accidental ingestion of Tessalon (benzonatate) by children younger than 10 years can result in serious side effects or death.
December 8, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA Considering New Diet Drug that Contains Wellbutrin ]
Washington, DC An FDA advisory committee has voted 13-7 in favor of approving a new diet drug designed to aid weight loss.
November 3, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA Panel Recommends Phenytoin Warning for Purple Glove Syndrome ]
Washington, DC An advisory committee of the Food and Drug Administration has recommended that intravenous (IV) phenytoin, an anti seizure medication marketed as Dilantin, should be labeled with warnings that the drug can cause Purple Glove Syndrome, (PGS). The panel stopped short of having the drug pulled from the market.
- Significant Decision Reached in Redux Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Oct-15-10)
- FDA Says Menaflex Collagen Scaffold Should not have Been Cleared By Lucy Campbell (Oct-14-10)
- All Marketed Sibutramine Drugs Voluntarily Withdrawn in Canada By Lucy Campbell (Oct-13-10)
- FDA Says Possible Increased Risk of Fracture with Bisphosphonates By Lucy Campbell (Oct-13-10)
- Weight Loss Drug Meridia Pulled From US and Canadian Markets By Lucy Campbell (Oct-8-10)
- Norian to Pay $23 Million for Illegal Bone Cement Tests By Lucy Campbell (Oct-5-10)
- Ortho Evra Health Risks - VP Claims J&J Knew By Lucy Campbell (Sep-22-10)
- Forest Pharmaceuticals Agrees to Pay $300M in Criminal Penalties By Lucy Campbell (Sep-21-10)
- FDA Panel Split on Meridia By Lucy Campbell (Sep-16-10)
- $1.5 Million Awarded in First Ever Vaccine Autism Settlement By Lucy Campbell (Sep-9-10)
- UK Medical Agency Concerned About Avandia By Lucy Campbell (Sep-6-10)
- Meridia Found to Increase Risk for Adverse Health Events in Some By Lucy Campbell (Sep-2-10)
- Beware the Potentially Deadly Medical Tube Maze By Gordon Gibb (Aug-29-10)
- Drug Recalls More than Double Since 2008 By Lucy Campbell (Aug-16-10)
- Not All Clinical Trial Results Published: Study By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-10)
- J&J Faces Devastating Inspection at Lancaster Plant By Lucy Campbell (Jul-26-10)
- J&J Subpoenaed over Recalled Drugs By Gordon Gibb (Jul-22-10)
- FDA Stops Avandia TIDE Trial By Lucy Campbell (Jul-21-10)
- Expert Panel Finds Avandia Increases Risk for Heart Attack By Lucy Campbell (Jul-14-10)
- Bad News for Avandia from Two Big Studies By Lucy Campbell (Jun-28-10)
- GSK Settles 200 Paxil Lawsuits Alleging Birth Defects By Lucy Campbell (Jun-23-10)
- Pfizer Loses Prempro Appeal By Lucy Campbell (Jun-21-10)
- Benadryl Added to Tylenol Recall By Lucy Campbell (Jun-16-10)
- Avandia Increases Heart Risks and Deaths over Rival Drug By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-10)
- Johnson & Johnson's McNeil Motrin Scheme Exposed By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-10)
- Johnson & Johnson's Headache By Jane Mundy (May-29-10)
- FDA Investigating Adverse Event Reports Associated with Tylenol Recall By Lucy Campbell (May-25-10)
- FDA Expands Investigation into Tylenol Recall By Lucy Campbell (May-18-10)
- FDA Considers Criminal Penalties Over McNeil Plant Conditions By Lucy Campbell (May-5-10)
- Popular Children's and Infant's Medications Recalled By Gordon Gibb (May-2-10)
- Children's Tylenol and other Over-The-Counter Drugs Recalled By Jane Mundy (May-1-10)
- Guidant Should Be Held to Greater Accountability By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-10)
- Seroquel Investigation Settled for $520 Million By Lucy Campbell (Apr-27-10)
- FDA Concerned About Infusion Pumps By Heidi Turner (Apr-24-10)
- New Study Highlights Suicide Risk of Anticonvulsant Drugs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-14-10)
- FDA New Warnings about Zocor By Jane Mundy (Mar-20-10)
- FDA Re-evaluates Medical Device Safety Approval Process By Charles Benson (Mar-1-10)
- Herbal Remedies May Be Harmful to Health By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-10)
- Canada Investigating Glaxo H1N1 Vaccine Adverse Reactions By Lucy Campbell (Nov-26-09)
- Vytorin and Zetia Setback By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-09)