LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
DePuy Hip Replacement Legal News Articles & Interviews
April 1, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Exactech Lawsuits Claim Defective Hip Implant ]
Santa Clara, CA A product liability lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas last month claims the Exactech Novation hip implant was defectively designed, which led to early failure of the hip replacement. And this month a similar lawsuit was filed in New York claiming that Exactech knew or should have known that the polyethylene liners in its hip replacements would prematurely loosen and fail, but delayed a recall.
March 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Dallas, TX: The bellwether defective hip implant lawsuits that were tried in the Northern District of Texas as part of multidistrict litigation 2244 have yielded some staggering awards for the plaintiffs. The latest Alice hip failure lawsuit ended with a $247 million award to six plaintiffs. A previous bellwether trial awarded $1.4 billion to a group of six plaintiffs, and another lawsuit ended with a $502 million jury award to five plaintiffs.Read [ The Curious Case of the Disappearing DePuy Damages ]
March 12, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Newark,NJ: Every metal-on-metal hip replacement manufacturer has been accused of defective design, and because there are two or more articulation points where the metal components can grind against each other, some MOM hip replacements, such as those made by Zimmer and Smith & Nephew, allegedly include an increased risk of metallosis. Lawsuits against both companies also claim they knowingly sold the defective hip implants and knew or should have known the devices would cause problems.Read [ Defective Hip Litigation Continues On against Zimmer, Smith & Nephew ]
January 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Houston, TX: The end of 2016 saw a flurry of activity on the litigation front just before the Christmas break, with the headlines of December 19 and 20 dealing with Hip Replacement Implant Failure and the billion-dollar settlements that emerged to close out the year.Read [ A Tale of Two Billion-Dollar Settlements ]
January 4, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Story of Failed DePuy Hip Replacement Devices “Shocking” says Lawyer ]
New York, NY Truth remains supreme in the courtrooms of America and the facts revealed in the recent litigation against Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics Inc. tell a “shocking” story of “fraud and conspiracy”, says attorney Jayne Conroy from the firm of Simmons Hanly Conroy of New York.
December 2, 2016. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: A jury in Dallas has awarded $1 billion to six plaintiffs who are suing Johnson & Johnson (J&J) alleging the DePuy Pinnacle hip implant made by the company’s subsidiary, DePuy Orthopaedics Inc., was defective and has caused them adverse health effects and subsequent surgeries to remove the device.Read [ $1B DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Verdict Against J&J ]
July 18, 2014. By The National Trial Lawyers.
The Oregon Department of Justice reached a first-of-its kind $4 million settlement on July 2 with DePuy Orthopaedics Inc. Oregon’s single-state settlement is the first government action to resolve allegations that DePuy failed to disclose to physicians and patients that its ASR XL “metal on metal” artificial hip devices had an alarming rate of failure.Read [ Oregon Reaches $4M Settlement with DePuy Over Defective Artificial Hips ]
November 20, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ J&J Reaches $2.5B ASR XL Hip Replacement Settlement ]
Washington, DC Further to announcements made last week, Johnson & Johnson (J&J) has said it will pay $2.5 billion to settle nearly 8,000 DePuy hip replacement lawsuits. DePuy Orthopaedics, a unit of J&J, withdrew its ASR XL Acetabular metal-on-metal hip replacement on August 24, 2010 following nearly 300 complaints from people undergoing hip replacement, and data which show that the implant fails sooner than earlier model implants.
November 13, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ J&J Reaches Record $4B Settlement of DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Lawsuits ]
New York, NY Reports indicate that Johnson & Johnson (J&J) has agreed to pay more than $2 billion to settle thousands of DePuy hip replacement lawsuits. DePuy Orthopaedics, a unit of J&J, withdrew its ASR XL Acetabular metal-on-metal hip replacement on August 24, 2010 following nearly 300 complaints from people undergoing hip replacement.
September 18, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ DePuy Faces Canadian ASR Hip Replacement Class Action Lawsuit ]
New York, NY A court in Ontario, Canada has certified a DePuy ASR class action lawsuit brought on behalf of Canadian citizens who were allegedly affected by the DePuy ASR recall. According to court documents filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on August 27, 2013, the DePuy ASR class action lawsuit seeks damages, including medical monitoring and emotional distress, for all persons implanted with the recalled hip system. Attorneys for plaintiffs estimate that as many as 4,000 Canadians could be included in the class. (Crisante, et al. v. DePuy Orthopaedics Inc., et al., No. CV-10-415755-00CP).
- Litigation Update: DePuy Hip Lawsuits By Lucy Campbell (Sep-11-13)
- Lawsuit Status Update: The Latest on Stryker Hip MDL By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-13)
- DePuy Hip Settlement: Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-13)
- $8.3 Million for Defective DePuy Hip Implant By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-13)
- Jury Awards $8.35M in DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Mar-8-13)
- “What a Mistake,” says DePuy Hip Recipient By Jane Mundy (Feb-14-13)
- Attorney says There’s Light at the End of the Hip and Knee Lawsuit Tunnel By Jane Mundy (Feb-10-13)
- First DePuy Lawsuit Now at Trial, How Much Did Defendant Know? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-30-13)
- DePuy Hip Hindered Golf Swing By Jane Mundy (Jan-23-13)
- New DePuy Hip Replacement Side Effect Reported By Heidi Turner (Dec-28-12)
- The Season for Giving—Including Hip and Knee Replacements By Jane Mundy (Dec-16-12)
- Johnson & Johnson Reportedly Settles DePuy Hip Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Sep-13-12)
- Double-Trouble for DePuy ASR Hip Patient By Gordon Gibb (Jun-9-12)
- Is the DePuy Hip Replacement a Dangerous Device? By Heidi Turner (May-23-12)
- Health Canada Issues Warning on Hip and Knee Replacement Failure By Heidi Turner (May-15-12)
- Consumer Reports Takes On DePuy Hip Replacement By Gordon Gibb (May-11-12)
- FDA Wants Expert Advice on DePuy Hip Implants By Charles Benson (Apr-24-12)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Phased Out After FDA Letter By Heidi Turner (Apr-12-12)
- FDA Panel to Review Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacements By Lucy Campbell (Mar-29-12)
- DePuy ASR Hip Failed Woman within Two Years By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-12)
- BMJ: Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacements a "Large Uncontrolled Experiment" By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-12)
- Executive Discussed Failures of DePuy Hip Replacement Prior to FDA Warning By Charles Benson (Feb-27-12)
- How Much Did DePuy Know About Hip Implant Failure? By Heidi Turner (Feb-22-12)
- Johnson and Johnson Receives FDA Warning regarding DePuy Hip Implant By Heidi Turner (Feb-13-12)
- Problems Don't End with Failed DePuy Hip Revision Surgery By Gordon Gibb (Jan-28-12)
- What Will the Final Cost of the DePuy Hip Replacement Recall Be? By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-12)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Prompts Lawsuit in UK By Charles Benson (Dec-23-11)
- DePuy Hip ASR Should Top the Proposed Implant Registry List By Jane Mundy (Dec-16-11)
- A Woeful Tale of Two DePuy Hips By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-11)
- Alabama Couple Files DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Nov-25-11)
- DePuy Hip Revision Surgery Lawsuits Rising By Jane Mundy (Nov-14-11)
- Physician and Attorney Discusses Depuy Hips Failure and Further Risks By Jane Mundy (Nov-2-11)
- DePuy Hip Replacement "Poster Lady" Sues By Charles Benson (Oct-8-11)
- DePuy ASR Litigation Update: Do You Qualify for a Claim? By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-11)
- Uk Report Indicates High Failure Rate for Metal Hip Implants By Lucy Campbell (Sep-16-11)
- Criticism Over Handling of DePuy Hip Replacement Recall By Heidi Turner (Sep-1-11)
- More DePuy Hip Lawsuits Filed By Heidi Turner (Jul-28-11)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuits Taking Place All Over the World By Charles Benson (Jul-18-11)
- DePuy Hip Replacement Lawsuits Filed against Distributors By Heidi Turner (Jul-13-11)
- Keep An Eye on DePuy ASR Patients: Consumer Group By Gordon Gibb (Jul-5-11)