LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Heparin Legal News Articles & Interviews
August 6, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ China Continues Crackdown on Bogus Drug Manufacturers ]
Shanghai A report out of China Sunday pertaining to a government crackdown on counterfeit drugs and tainted food supplies would understandably leave health advocates in the US concerned about the quality of imports coming into the country from that part of the world.
February 22, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The Heparin Contamination Hangover Continues to Persist ]
Washington, DC It's a hangover of sorts from the Heparin Contamination scare of three years ago. That's when tainted heparin was traced back to the unsanitary production of pure heparin via unregulated sweatshops in China and the introduction of a mystery contaminant. But what of the checks and balances that would help to catch a problem and stop it dead in its tracks before it gets to market?
December 10, 2010. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Mother Believes Disabled Daughter Suffered Heparin Contamination ]
Detroit, MI In May 2009, Cathy's mentally disabled daughter was rushed to the hospital with severe abdominal pain and the doctors found blood clots. "Right away she was given Heparin IV and she started bleeding outwards—there was blood everywhere," says Cathy. "Then she had a heparin allergic reaction—her abdomen was severely swollen and covered in a scarlet rash.
December 4, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ B. Braun Recalls Potentially Tainted Heparin ]
Irvine, CA California-based B. Braun Medical Inc. recently announced the recall of seven lots of heparin, an anticoagulant, due to concerns that they could be tainted with small amounts of oversulfated chondroitin sulfate (OSCS), according to the FDA.
November 26, 2010. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Heparin Recall—Same Contamination, Different Time ]
Los Angeles, CA The latest heparin recall by B. Braun Medical Inc. is the same problem that poisoned hundreds of patients in late 2007 and early 2008. How could this happen again? "Obviously it is the result of some sloppy work on the part of the supplier, Scientific Protein Laboratories, or B. Braun, or both companies," says attorney Roger Drake, with the law firm Baum, Hedlund, Aristei & Goldman.
November 17, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Did Heparin Mix-Up with Insulin Contribute to Infant's Death? ]
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Not long ago actor Dennis Quaid made headlines after his infant children were given an adult dose of heparin in the hospital, rather than the formulation meant for infants. An investigation determined the labels of the two formulations were too similar. Well, it has happened again—sort of. This time, in Canada. And this time, insulin was mistaken for heparin injection due to a similarity in the label.
October 29, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Seven Lots of Heparin Recalled ]
Washington, DC B. Braun Medical Inc. (B. Braun) was recently notified by its supplier, Scientific Protein Laboratories LLC (SPL), of a nationwide recall of a lot of Heparin Sodium USP Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) sold to B. Braun because additional testing of retained crude heparin samples used by SPL to manufacture this single API lot indicated a trace amount of oversulfated chondroitin sulfate (OSCS) contaminant. As a result, B. Braun is initiating a voluntary recall of seven lots of heparin injection products to the healthcare provider level. These lots were manufactured in 2008 and will be expiring on October 31, 2010 and November 30, 2010.
April 2, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Child Dies of Heparin Overdose, Investigation Launched ]
Omaha, NE A two-year-old toddler died Wednesday after she was given too much heparin at a Nebraska hospital. Almariah Duque, who was in the hospital for multiple organ transplants and also recovering from gastrochisis, died on the afternoon of March 31 at the Nebraska Medical Center. She had been declared clinically dead that morning.
January 23, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Conflict of Interest Alleged Against FDA and Heparin Contamination ]
Washington, DC An allegation of conflict of interest that grew out of the heparin contamination case of 2008 is still very much alive today. While patients became ill and died from tainted heparin injections, the director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research found herself embroiled in controversy.
January 13, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Family Files Suit after Texas Man Dies from Heparin Injection ]
Lufkin, TX The family of a man who allegedly died from complications arising from a contaminated heparin injection has filed a product liability lawsuit against the makers of the blood thinning agent, Baxter, and the medical facility that administered the drug.
- Patient Told Heparin Is Mandatory By Jane Mundy (Jan-2-10)
- Dennis Quaid's New Organization Could Combat Heparin Contamination By Charles Benson (Dec-22-09)
- Amputee Files Lawsuit against Heparin Maker By Jane Mundy (Dec-17-09)
- Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin May Help Prevent Miscarriage By Gordon Gibb (Dec-8-09)
- Leg Amputee Blames Heparin By Jane Mundy (Nov-29-09)
- New Procedures Can Easily Reveal Heparin Contamination By Charles Benson (Nov-21-09)
- "Heparin Killed My Father" By Jane Mundy (Nov-16-09)
- More Companies Getting Into the Heparin Business By Gordon Gibb (Nov-4-09)
- "Heparin is Given Indiscriminately" By Jane Mundy (Oct-28-09)
- Will Overlap of Old and New Heparin Be a Problem? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-19-09)
- Heparin Manufacturing Change Leaves Mother Frustrated By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-09)
- Skin Lesions Emerging as New Heparin Allergic Reaction By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-09)
- Heparin: A Long List of Reported Problems By Heidi Turner (Sep-6-09)
- Contaminated Heparin Deadly to Some By Heidi Turner (Aug-23-09)
- Heparin Doesn't have to be Contaminated to be Dangerous By Gordon Gibb (Aug-12-09)
- Woman Watching Mom Die After Possible Contaminated Heparin Exposure By Heidi Turner (Jul-31-09)
- Attorney Roger Drake: There is Still Time to Join a Heparin Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-22-09)
- What Role Did Antiquated FDA Computers Play in Heparin Deaths? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-8-09)
- Heparin 's Recall--One Year On By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-09)
- Heparin Contamination A Worst Case Scenario for Some Patients By Heidi Turner (Jun-17-09)
- Heparin Contamination a Brown, Gummy Goo at AM2PAT By Gordon Gibb (Jun-10-09)
- Patient Concerned About Possible Heparin Reaction By Heidi Turner (Jun-1-09)
- Heparin Contamination: The Dangers of Unknown Ingredients By Heidi Turner (May-29-09)
- Heparin Deaths Bring Blood Thinner to Spotlight Again By Heidi Turner (May-22-09)
- Two New Heparin Deaths Spark Renewed Concerns By Gordon Gibb (May-13-09)
- Two New Patient Deaths Prompt Heparin Review By Lucy Campbell (May-11-09)
- Heparin Contamination Left Doctors Scrambling for Answers By Heidi Turner (Apr-24-09)
- Tainted Heparin Still a Lightning Rod of Opinion, Litigation By Gordon Gibb (Apr-10-09)
- Heparin Patient "Suffering" By Heidi Turner (Mar-31-09)
- Heparin Stroke Devastating to Lung Transplant Recipient By Heidi Turner (Mar-22-09)
- Heparin Ordeal a Mother's Nightmare By Heidi Turner (Mar-11-09)
- Medical Mystery Possibly Linked to Heparin By Heidi Turner (Mar-4-09)
- Tainted Heparin Syringes Led to Deaths, Illness By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-09)
- Tainted Heparin: The FDA Let You Down By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-09)
- Did a Massive Dose of Heparin Cause Stroke? By Jane Mundy (Feb-8-09)
- Heparin can Promote rather than Prevent Thrombosis By Jane Mundy (Jan-29-09)
- Heparin in the Top Ten By Jane Mundy (Jan-14-09)
- Baxter Cited in Tainted Heparin Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jan-10-09)
- Why Was My Sister Given Heparin? By Jane Mundy (Jan-3-09)
- Widow Grieves at Christmas, possibly due to Heparin By Jane Mundy (Dec-26-08)