LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Credit Card Abuse Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 1, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Credit Card Abuse Comes in All Shapes and Sizes ]
Brooklyn, NY While the settlement may be worth CDN $8 million, the value to credit card holders affected by the agreement is worth about five bucks. On the other side of the credit card abuse ledger is a case that may easily translate to the largest antitrust case in US history.
March 8, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Studies: Credit Card Rate Hikes Down after Passage of Legislation ]
Washington, DC Two new surveys released recently by the government indicated that reforms have led to the near elimination of credit card rate hikes and over-limit charges as well as a reduction in penalty fees, the Washington Post reports.
February 10, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Chase in Credit Card Rate Hikes Case ]
Washington, DC The Supreme Court recently ruled that Chase Bank USA could legally implement credit card rate hikes on a man's card without notifying him, The Associated Press reports.
January 10, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Credit Card Fraud Victims at California Gas Station Increase to 282 ]
Sierra Madre, CA Thus far, detectives have identified 282 credit card fraud victims at a gas station in Sierra Madre, California, the Los Angeles Times reports.
January 1, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Potential Still Exists for Credit Card Abuse ]
Muncie, IN Happy New Year. Beyond the headache from too much New Years' revelry is the financial headache of Christmas bills coming in. But lest you think otherwise, credit card abuse takes many forms and is not limited to the consumer simply using the plastic way too many times. There are also credit card fees that comprise a never-ending parade of charges.
December 23, 2010. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Discover Accused of Misleading Tactics ]
Cottage Grove, MN When it comes to credit card abuse, many customers may have thought the new credit card laws offered them greater protection from predatory credit card practices. In truth, there is some protection from credit card rate hikes and credit card fraud, but those restrictions have forced credit card companies to find new ways of generating profits—all at the consumer's expense.
June 30, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Fed Examines Credit Card Rate Hikes, Caps Penalties ]
Washington, DC Consumers received a bit of good news when the Federal Reserve recently capped most credit card late fees and other penalties at $25.
May 3, 2010. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Credit Card Abuse Still Exists, Despite the Credit CARD Act ]
Boston, MA Although it has been two months since the Credit CARD (Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure) Act went into effect, there are still cases of credit card abuse that consumers must deal with. The Credit CARD Act was meant to limit instances of abusive practices by credit card companies, but some loopholes exist that allow companies to get away with treating customers poorly.
October 28, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Citibank Cancels Credit Cards with Little Warning ]
New York, NY Beyond the sometimes onerous fees associated with many credit cards, credit card abuse takes other forms—not the least of which includes the allegedly unjust termination of a credit card.
October 28, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ $336 Million Settlement for Credit Card Fees Lawsuit ]
Manhattan, NY A credit card abuse class-action lawsuit that's been in the pipeline for about eight years and approved in 2006 has won final approval from a US judge. The settlement will see $336 million spread amongst a whopping ten million-plus claimants who alleged credit card consumer abuse and unjust credit card fees.
- Credit Card Abuse: To Be Continued? By Jane Mundy (May-19-08)
- Credit Card Rates: Transfer Fees Increase By Jane Mundy (Apr-26-08)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes: Four Customers Tell Companies to Take a Hike By Jane Mundy (Mar-30-08)
- Credit Card Abuse: "They Do It Because They Can" By Heidi Turner (Mar-16-08)
- Credit Card Abuse Takes on Many Forms By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-08)
- Credit Card Abuse: Like Your Balance, it Keeps Going On, and on, and... By Gordon Gibb (Feb-21-08)
- Credit Card Rate Increases Anger Customers By Ginger Gillenwater (Feb-15-08)
- Credit Card Abuse: The only Abuse that is Legal By Gordon Gibb (Feb-7-08)
- Credit Card Abuse: "I'm going to Fight till the End" By Jane Mundy (Nov-24-07)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes: Devious Practices Online By Jane Mundy (Oct-20-07)
- Credit card holders: Are You a Deadbeat or Revolver? By Jane Mundy (Oct-7-07)
- Credit Card Company Practices: Legality is Questionable By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-07)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes Not Always Obvious to Consumers By Heidi Turner (Sep-3-07)
- Consumer Protection Board Fights Against Credit Card Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jul-26-07)
- Credit Card Abuse: a Debt that Never Ends By Gordon Gibb (Jul-10-07)
- A Dear John Letter to My Credit Card By Gordon Gibb (Jul-2-07)
- Credit Cards: The Hidden Costs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-10-07)
- Unreasonable Credit Card Rate Hikes By Heidi Turner (Apr-2-07)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes: Two Companies Change their Practices By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-07)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes: No one Wins By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-07)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes - Some Nasty Practices By Heidi Turner (Jan-7-07)
- Foreign Currency Fees: Another form of Credit Card Abuse By Heidi Turner (Oct-30-06)
- Consumer Fraud: Beware Monthly Dues By Jane Mundy (Sep-27-06)
- Credit Card Companies Rely On Your Score By Jane Mundy (Sep-25-06)
- Credit Card Rate Hikes: a Lose-Lose Outcome By Jane Mundy (Aug-30-06)
- Credit Card Abuse: How Universal Default Affects You By Heidi Turner (Aug-6-06)