Request Legal Help Now - Free

Credit Card Company Practices: Legality is Questionable

. By
Bothell, WAHugh Gerrard had a credit card with Chase Bank and never made a payment late in 10 years—his credit rating was impeccable. But he made one mistake that cost Chase a loyal customer. "Because I overlooked an old balance of $20, my interest rate was raised to 29.9 percent from 5.99 percent," says Gerrard.

"Last April Chase made me an offer--to use a convenience check as a balance transfer," explains Gerrard. "They offered me a low interest rate of 5.99 percent so I thought it was a good deal. I wrote check for $2,700 to pay a balance from another credit card company—American Express.

credit card rate hike angerThen I got a statement from Chase and paid $500 on my balance. But I noticed my interest rate went up to 29.9% from 5.99%. I called immediately. Their reply: I was late on a payment and my agreement was null and void, allowing them to revert to this higher percentage. Of course they didn't notify me that I was late on a payment.

Apparently I had a $20 balance that I hadn't paid—but I accept responsibility for this amount. However, Chase did not notify me; they didn't tell me that because I was late on this $20 payment, my rate would be excessively increased. Now, this increase could potentially cost me about $500.

I called Chase and said 'This isn't right, I have been a customer for 10 years and have an excellent credit history and I have documentation to back that up.' (In fact, Chase never reported to the credit report agency that I was ever late on a payment. I have a perfect credit history report--from two agencies.)

'I want your original agreement back with the interest rate of 5.99%,' I said to Chase. They said no. Next up, I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said no.

Then I searched the Internet. I found some information about my issue and credit card hikes on [] and one of your lawyers got back to me right away. He suggested I pay them off, which I did. Then I closed my account. He said I am lucky that I have the means to pay them off. He gave me sound advice for free.

He also advised me to file a report with the Attorney General of the state of Washington. The Attorney General sent a letter to Chase on my behalf. I then received a letter from the Vice President of Chase. In the letter she said 'I am so sorry you closed your account and I would like to reopen your account with the same credit limit of $18,000 and offer you a convenience check for balance transfers at 5.99% for the life of the loan.'

Too late. I didn't respond, nor will I ever do business with Chase again.

Ironically my mortgage and car are financed through Chase and I never had a problem. But the credit card division is predatory and the legality of their practices is questionable. Shouldn't they inform you about raising these rates?

Chase refunded me $152 which was calculated as interest over a 30-day period. I would say that is an admission of guilt. I can go to downtown Seattle, find a loan shark at 30 percent and he would be more personable. These customer service people just say 'no'--I guess they would rather lose a 10 year customer.

The lawyer I spoke with told me that he has filed a class action lawsuit with the state of Washington to mandate that credit card companies (he specifically had a law suit against Chase) must inform you when they have a rate hike. I'm sure their customers agree."


Credit Card Rate Hikes Legal Help

If you have been a victim of any unfair practices by your credit card company, including substantial rate increases, unfair penalties or broken promises, and would like to take a stand by participating in an action against them, please contact a lawyer involved in a possible [Credit Card Abuse Lawsuit] who will review your case at no cost or obligation.


Fields marked * are mandatory. Please read our comment guidelines before posting.


Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

*Email Address:

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.
*Your Comment:

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.

Click to learn more about
Request Legal Help Now! - Free