LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Chantix Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 5, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Pfizer to Settle 80 Percent of Chantix Lawsuits ]
Washington, DC More than 80 percent of the 2,700 federal and state Chantix lawsuits facing Pfizer look as if they could be settled. Pfizer, the maker of the controversial smoking cessation drug known generically as varenicline, faces a raft of lawsuits alleging Chantix causes suicide, suicide attempts and other psychiatric disturbances.
December 31, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Chantix Aggression, And the Role Prescription Drugs Can Play ]
Newtown, CT As 2012 comes to a close, the horrific massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut continues to galvanize public opinion on everything from the availability of guns, to the reasons why a young man like Adam Lanza might be driven to undertake such a shocking assault on human life. And while the debate rages over the gun issue and the ultimate safety of children while at school, a quieter conversation involves the role of prescription drugs and how their use might push some individuals out of control. Chantix is one such drug that has been linked to prior examples of violence, including Chantix aggression.
December 13, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Chantix Increases Risk of Major Cardiovascular Events, FDA Warns ]
Washington, DC People taking the smoking cessation drug Chantix (varenicline) may have a higher risk of suffering major adverse cardiovascular events, according to information issued by the Food and Drug Administration this week. The results support earlier findings.
August 10, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Chantix Suicide Measured In Lives Lost ]
Victoria, BC Heidi Clow committed Chantix suicide. Champix suicide actually, given that Chantix sold in Canada is vended under the name Champix. But it's the same stuff. And the young woman from British Columbia took her own life at the age of 22, five months after starting on Champix to help her quit smoking. The Canadian woman had no history of depression prior to starting on the Canadian equivalent of Chantix, and articulated that Champix was "(expletive) her up" at some point before she died.
May 14, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Chantix Update: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly ]
Jacksonville, OR There has been much development on the Chantix portfolio in recent months that speaks to the Jekyll-and-Hyde personality of the smoking cessation drug introduced by Pfizer in 2006. Released amidst much fanfare and embraced by smokers trying to quit, Chantix was soon derailed by allegations of Chantix suicide and Chantix lawsuits.
July 4, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Chantix Increases Risk for Cardiovascular Events, New Study Finds ]
Washington, DC Results from a new study on the smoking-cessation drug Chantix (varenicline) show that it is associated with a small but significant increase in the risk for cardiovascular events.
April 11, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Experts: Clinical Trials Should Have Shown Chantix Side Effects ]
New York, NY Experts say that lawsuits from patients and warnings from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) over Chantix side effects could have potentially been avoided if clinical trials had been structured differently, Reuters reports.
March 23, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Chantix: Parents and Police Intervened ]
Attleboro Falls, MA "I started smoking when I was sixteen because I wanted to fit in," says Ryan, now 28 years old. "A few years ago I wanted to quit for health and social reasons: I started coughing and none of my friends smoked anymore, so my doctor gave me a sample package of Chantix."
March 7, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Texas Man Blames Chantix Side Effects for Church Fires ]
Tyler, TX A Texas man claims that Chantix side effects caused him to set a number of churches on fire, according to KYTX, a local CBS affiliate.
February 18, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Did Chantix Play a Role in Death of Popular Mayor? ]
Warner Robins, GA It was on September 28 of 2009 that the popular sitting mayor of Warner Robins, Georgia, was at home with his wife—presumably recharging his batteries while engrossed in a heated reelection campaign. Donald Walker was kicking the tobacco habit, too, with the help of Chantix. Suddenly, Patricia Walker was startled by the sound of a gunshot from inside their home. She called 911 at 11:08 am that morning, not knowing that her husband had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Was it Chantix suicide?
- Court in Alabama Set to Hear Chantix Suicide Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Feb-7-11)
- "I Blame Chantix for My Daughter's Suicide" By Jane Mundy (Jan-30-11)
- Chantix Worst Offender for Aggression in Drug Study By Gordon Gibb (Jan-15-11)
- Top 10 List: Dangerous Drugs By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-11)
- Mentally Ill Excluded in Chantix Clinical Trials By Gordon Gibb (Dec-26-10)
- Chantix Class-Action Plaintiff Is Former Pfizer Employee By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-10)
- Pfizer CEO Who Led Company's Push of Chantix Suddenly Retires By Charles Benson (Dec-8-10)
- Letter Writer Fears for Elderly Parent over Chantix Side Effects By Gordon Gibb (Nov-24-10)
- "I Overdosed on Chantix" By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-10)
- FDA Adds Label to Box Warning of Link Between Chantix and Suicide By Charles Benson (Nov-5-10)
- FDA Employs Full Tool Box to Monitor Chantix By Gordon Gibb (Oct-21-10)
- Smoking Cost Study Funded by Pfizer, Maker of Chantix By Charles Benson (Oct-11-10)
- Is Chantix up in Smoke? By Jane Mundy (Oct-1-10)
- Beware of Patients Suffering from Chantix Side Effects By Gordon Gibb (Sep-20-10)
- Chantix User: Chantix Led to Violent Outbursts By Heidi Turner (Sep-13-10)
- Pfizer Files Lawsuit over Chantix By Charles Benson (Sep-7-10)
- Study Links Chantix to Violence and Aggression By Heidi Turner (Sep-3-10)
- Chantix (Champix) Considered Just as Dangerous in Australia By Gordon Gibb (Aug-23-10)
- Chantix Can Drive You Batty By Jane Mundy (Aug-11-10)
- New Study Links Chantix to Violence, Aggression By Charles Benson (Aug-4-10)
- Chantix User Loses Cool, Unleashes Chantix Aggression on Own Home By Gordon Gibb (Jul-19-10)
- Chantix Not for Smokers with Mental Health Problems By Jane Mundy (Jul-15-10)
- Anti-Smoking Shot Has None of the Side Effects of Chantix By Charles Benson (Jul-6-10)
- Chantix Almost Ruined My Marriage By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-10)
- Health Canada Issues Black Box Warning for Champix / Chantix By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-10)
- Chantix User Afraid of What He Might Do By Jane Mundy (Jun-15-10)
- Pfizer Spends Millions on Lobbyists Despite Chantix Warnings By Charles Benson (Jun-3-10)
- New Nicotine Vaccine Looks Promising, May Obviate Risk of Chantix Side Effects By Charles Benson (May-29-10)
- "My Mother Committed Suicide after Taking Chantix" By Jane Mundy (May-27-10)
- Is Chantix an Antidepressant? By Gordon Gibb (May-20-10)
- Chantix Users and Attorneys Smoking Mad By Jane Mundy (Apr-13-10)
- Canadian Firms Tackle Pfizer's Smoking Cessation Drug By Brenda Craig (Mar-20-10)
- Chantix Side Effects Drive One User "off the Deep End" By Charles Benson (Mar-10-10)
- Chantix and a Loaded Gun: Police Officer Freaks Out By Jane Mundy (Mar-5-10)
- Pfizer Updates Ads for Chantix By Gordon Gibb (Feb-26-10)
- Using Nicotine Patches Longer Could Avert Risk of Chantix Side Effects By Charles Benson (Feb-10-10)
- "Chantix Nearly Killed My Wife" By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-10)
- Chantix Lawsuits Heat up By Gordon Gibb (Jan-26-10)
- "Chantix Made Me Angry All the Time" By Jane Mundy (Jan-12-10)
- Pfizer Hides Chantix Side Effects in Ads By Charles Benson (Jan-6-10)