LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
California Denied Disability Insurance Legal News Articles & Interviews
February 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A medical professional who could no longer fulfill the functions of her occupation due to a diagnosis of Lyme disease, had her long term disability benefits claim denied by her LTD provider. Plaintiff Laura Wakil holds that Unum unfairly denied her LTD benefits that were rightfully hers' according to the terms of her policy, and she is taking the insurer to court after filing an Unum lawsuit in an attempt to achieve benefits resulting from her disability.Read [ Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance ]
October 15, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Allegations of wrongly denied insurance claims hardly count as news, when it comes to the Standard Insurance Company. Even when disability claims are not denied outright, processing time may drag on, investigations may be delayed, requests for additional information may pile up, and claimants may even be advised not to consult a lawyer. It’s maddening, it’s frustrating, and it does harm.Read [ California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit ]
June 7, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Aetna Life Insurance Co., is facing a long-term disability denial lawsuit brought by policy holder who had her long-term disability benefits denied, despite being qualified.Read [ Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim ]
August 28, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Anthem Blue Cross Faces Another California Insurance Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA Another California insurance lawsuit has been filed against Anthem Blue Cross, alleging the company changed policyholders’ insurance plans without telling them, resulting in unforeseen medical bills. The lawsuit, filed in August, follows a California insurance lawsuit filed in July that made similar allegations against the insurance company.
July 30, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ UnitedHealth Files Lawsuit against California Insurance Commissioner ]
Los Angeles, CA Usually insurance companies are the defendants in insurance lawsuits that involve allegations of mishandled claims, but UnitedHealth has filed a California insurance lawsuit against the California insurance commissioner. The lawsuit alleges California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones is abusing his power and has sought punishment against the insurer for minor violations.
July 16, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Surgeon Sues Over California Denied Disability ]
Walnut Creek, CA A recent court decision under California insurance law demonstrates just how complex lawsuits alleging denied disability insurance can become. There is also no guarantee that a rider purchased on an insurance policy will automatically provide the benefits associated with that rider, without the courts becoming involved.
June 30, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Most Denied Disability Insurance Claimants Win, but Not All Do ]
Los Angeles, CA It’s a proven fact that in most cases, disability insurance claims are almost always denied on the first try, often denied on the second attempt, but more often than not accepted and approved on the third attempt, on appeal. It’s the way the insurance industry appears to prefer to work. However, in spite of California Insurance Law, some claims are denied outright due to an interpretation that the claimant retains the capacity to work regardless of mobility issues, without any thought given to the potential pain that may stem from attempting to realize that limited mobility.
June 19, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Filing Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits ]
Oakland, CA Among the more stressful things a person can go through, having a legitimate insurance claim denied has to be close to the top of the list. After all, the person who submitted the denied disability insurance claim is likely already going through health problems and is probably off work and worried about finances while dealing with health problems. California policyholders who have had their insurance claim wrongfully denied can take action to appeal the decision, which is what some people have done.
May 27, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ To Overturn Denied Disability Insurance, Vigilance Is Key ]
Los Angeles, CA It seems apparent that the primary modus operandi for most insurance carriers is to deny insurance claims as a default, expecting that policyholders will appeal the denial and fight for their benefits. An earlier article by LawyersandSettlements.com’s Heidi Turner noted that many policyholders tend to throw in the towel at the first stage of denial, when in actual fact a California ERISA denied claim - either out of sheer meanness or a legitimate reason such as incorrect or incomplete data - can just be the first stage in a lengthy process that will often result in benefits following a protracted negotiation.
May 13, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California Denied Insurance: Appeals Frequently Successful ]
Pasadena, CA When patients have their California insurance claim denied, they can often feel frustrated and believe there is no point in appealing the decision. When they do appeal their denied disability insurance and their appeal is denied, they may want to give up entirely, rather than undergoing another fight. But according to some reports, policyholders who have their insurance claim denied stand a good chance when they appeal to a third party.
- Teacher with Debilitating Injuries Twice Denied Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-14)
- Judge Finds Insurer Guilty of Bad Faith By Heidi Turner (Apr-20-14)
- Keeping Track of a Bad Faith Insurance Claim By Heidi Turner (Mar-29-14)
- WW II Veteran Denied Disability Insurance for 28 Long Years By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-14)
- California PTSD Sufferer Denied Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-14)
- Veterans Denied Disability Insurance and Treatment May Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jan-22-14)
- Consumers Concerned About Junk Insurance By Heidi Turner (Jan-12-14)
- Denied Disability Insurance: The Devil in the Fine Print By Gordon Gibb (Dec-27-13)
- California Insurers Told to Allow Speech Therapy By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-13)
- State Cracks Down on Denied Disability Insurance for Autistic Kids By Gordon Gibb (Nov-28-13)
- California Insurance Lawsuits Filed against Anthem Blue Cross By Heidi Turner (Nov-9-13)
- Plaintiff Seeks Damages Under California Insurance Law By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-13)
- Supreme Court Hears Case Involving Statute of Limitations in ERISA Denied Claim By Heidi Turner (Oct-17-13)
- Court Rules in Favor of Denied Disability Insurance Plaintiff By Gordon Gibb (Sep-27-13)
- California Insurance Regulations Mean Lawsuits Can Be Filed, Depending on the Circumstances By Heidi Turner (Sep-11-13)
- Lawsuit Filed Over California Insurance By Heidi Turner (Aug-25-13)
- Changes to California Insurance Don’t Help By Gordon Gibb (Aug-15-13)
- When Denied Disability Insurance Means Living in Your Car By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-13)
- $6 Million Settlement in California Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-13)
- California Insurance Claim Denied, Stiffed Senior Seeks Help By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-13)
- CIGNA to Settle Lawsuit Brought by California and Other States By Heidi Turner (May-26-13)
- Appeals Court Finds for Plaintiff in Denied Disability Insurance Claim By Gordon Gibb (May-15-13)
- California Issues Insurance Directive on Discrimination By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-13)
- Force Would Not Accommodate Veteran Police Officer, Denied By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-13)
- Does California Insurance Rate Hike Mean Anything for Denied Claims? By Heidi Turner (Mar-30-13)
- Denied Disability Insurance: A Tale of Two Extremes By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-13)
- California Insurance: First-Party and ERISA Explained By Heidi Turner (Feb-27-13)
- Will an Appeal Secure California Insurance Claim Help for Couple? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-13)
- California Insurance Company Faces Discrimination Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-13)
- California City Lawsuit Alleges Bad Faith Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Jan-9-13)
- Appealing an Insurance Claim Denial By Heidi Turner (Dec-27-12)
- Two California Insurance Denials Lead to Health Net Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Dec-12-12)
- California Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-12)
- A Year After Fatal Shooting, Bad Faith Insurance Plaintiff Still Waits for Her Money By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-12)
- California Insurance Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-12-12)