Home Page Potential Lawsuit Toxic Mold
Mold is everywhere: it is in the air and it lives on all kinds of surfaces, from paper to wood to carpets. Household mold is common and house mold can grow anywhere indoors where there is moisture. Molds are not toxic but some molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as toxic black mold, produce toxins, known as mycotoxins. Some people who are sensitive to molds can experience allergic reactions, including breathing and heart problems, and black mold exposure can lead to severe health problems.
Toxic Mold Exposure
Toxic Mold is mold that contains poisons in its spores. The most worrisome mold, Stachybotrys chartarum (also called Stachybotrys atra), has been labeled by most health departments as a health hazard.
Toxic mold is a greenish-black mold that grows on material with high cellulose content, such as straw, fiberboard, dry wall, paper, lint and even dust and it requires constant moisture for its growth. It does not grow on plastics and vinyl.
Black mold exposure is also referred to by specialists as one of the causes of pulmonary hemorrhage, known as the "sick building syndrome". Increasingly, black mold has been causing serious problems in homes and buildings in North America. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), some recent studies concluded that approximately 50 percent of homes are inflicted with unknown moisture dilemmas.
However, black mold exposure has been known to sicken people for years. During 1993-1994 in Cleveland, Ohio, there was a rare outbreak of pulmonary hemorrhage among infants. Researchers then found out that Black mold was growing in the homes of the sick infants and this incident increased public (and the medical community) awareness of molds in homes and buildings.
Toxic mold has also caused problems for homeowners and building managers who must deal with moisture issues. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that all indoor mold growth is potentially harmful and should be removed promptly, no matter what types of mold are present or whether they can produce toxins.
Toxic Mold Symptoms
Some people are more sensitive to molds than others and mold exposure can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Others may develop severe reactions, including fever and shortness of breath. People with chronic lung illnesses may develop mold infections in their lungs.
According to the CDC, the vast majority of mold growing in the home or shower is nothing more than a nuisance and does not pose any serious health risks. However, mycotoxins, including black mold, can cause the more serious issues that occur such as breathing problems, lung inflammation, fever, burning sensations etc. They can also be responsible for acute and chronic sicknesses as serious as cancer, fibromyalgia, heart problems, lupus, and even mental deficiencies.
Most symptoms can be treated with medication and diet, but to date there is no treatment for the more serious consequences.
Toxic Mold Lawsuits
Lawsuits in the US regarding mold in residential or commercial buildings, and the exposure to their inhabitants, are increasing, mainly due to public awareness of toxic mold danger, and because of the decision by most health departments to label Stachybotrys as a health hazard.
Many building owners and homebuilders are finding themselves in toxic mold litigation. Most toxic mold lawsuits involve insurance companies that do not pay for mold-damage claims. However, insurance companies have had to settle claims when they failed to pay for moisture-related repairs that eventually turned into a mold problem. And homebuilders have been successfully sued for bad workmanship that contributed to the growth of toxic mold.
Toxic Mold Exposure Legal HelpIf you or a loved one has suffered health problems from exposure to toxic mold, please click the link below and your complaint will be sent to a lawyer who may evaluate your claim at no cost or obligation.
Last updated on Oct-12-09
TOXIC MOLD LEGAL ARTICLES AND INTERVIEWS
Household mold forces woman to live in tent
With Black Mold, Always Better to Err on the Side of Caution
Mold: It's Common. And it Can be Very Dangerous
READ MORE [ Environment Settlements and Legal News ]
READ MORE [ Personal Injury Settlements and Legal News ]
My walls have been bent for 5 yrs. When I moved in they weren't as bad as now. I've been telling the property manager since I moved in that the livingroom wall is pushing out and there's a huge lump in my livingroom wood floor. They came and cut the hump out nailed screws in it and covered it with a new floor. As years passed and they continued to ignore me about water sitting in the wall it continued to push out more and more. I grew mold all over the bathroom and my bathroom floor became very weak. They still did nothing. My son was getting bad headaches and my body aches started getting worse but my doctor didn't know what was wrong. I started losing my hair as well as my dog and my grandson kept getting a fungus on his head and his Dr didn't know from what. Well they take my livingroom wall down 3 weeks ago and my insullation is black and yellow. There is mold all over it. They wouldn't pay for us to stay in a hotel even though we let the property manager know this. They left the wall down while we still lived there. 3 weeks later they finally transferred us into a new apartment since I contacted HUD.I was able to now tell my Dr about the mold and I tested positive for an autoimmune disease fibromyalgia. I see this is liked to mold so I did a home mold kit and the mold grew all over it. I sent it off for testing. I go to UCONN next week to see a specialist but for now I'm on 3 different meds for pain and swelling that don't work. They just put me to sleep. I'm a server and I'm in so much deep aching pain everyday that I may have to quit my job. I'm trying to hang in there but the pain gets unbearable not to mention that my doctor said it affected the bottom of my spine that's why I can't sit up against anything my lower back is very tender to the touch. I have so many symptoms from mold and to find out fibromyalgia can come from that has me really pissed because my life is ruined and the property manager nave cared to look into this no matter how many times I complained.
I have no place to live. I have health problems. I may have to pay fees because I had to cancel my utility bills. Most of my belongings are still at the apartment and probably contaminated by mold. The landlord is acting like this is my fault.
Sick for weeks/months, letter from doctor stating I'm being treated for mold exposure, lost family cat to mold exposure, being evicted because of complaining to the health department and landlord won't cooperate. Sickness includes memory loss, headaches, nose bleeds, nausea, diarrhea, bronchitis, sinus infection, asthma/trouble breathing, etc.
My children have had extreme breathing problems and have been on steriods, antibiotics, nebulizers, and oxgygen repeated amount of times due to this. My apartment manager will not do anything about it. I have not been able to work due to my kids being sick all the time. I am also 6 months pregnant and have asthma attacks repeated amount of times.
ADD YOUR COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE