• Liz July 23, 2009 at 2:54 am

    I went through this situation and am still dealing with it. The first course of action is to call your mortgage company and explain you have chinese drywall and that you have to move out for your health. They will give you a special forbearance for a few months (3 to 4 usually) which buys you some time to get your life together elsewhere and hire an attorney.

    Do not stay in your homes! Why would you stay inside a toxic gas chamber if you can reasonably get away. At this point, you and your family's health is the most valuable thing you own and should be protected at all costs.

  • AbiK July 23, 2009 at 3:56 am

    Hi Liz,

    Thanks for your comment and tip for other readers about calling your mortgage company. Many people affected by Chinese drywall most likely think calling their homeowner's insurance company is the only call to make. You also mention calling an attorney–a smart move. An attorney can help navigate the process at a time when homeowners feel at a loss.

    And I completely agree with you that Chinese drywall victims who are experiencing health issues should get out of their homes if there is any way possible.

  • Leave a Reply


Find us on