LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Avandia Legal News Articles & Interviews
November 29, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA Eases Warnings For Avandia ]
Washington, DC Earlier this week, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced it is requiring the removal of certain restrictions on prescribing and use of the diabetes drug Avandia (rosiglitazone). The move is designed to reflect new information regarding the cardiovascular risk of the medicine. The FDA states that their actions are consistent with the recommendations of expert advisory committees.
October 29, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GSK to Face Avandia Racketeering Class Action Lawsuits ]
New York, NY GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) LLC is facing three federal racketeering class actions, alleging the pharmaceutical company concealed the risk of adverse cardiovascular effect associated with its diabetes drug Avandia, and that it duped health benefit payors into covering the expensive prescriptions. In her ruling, US District Judge Cynthia M. Rufe refused to dismiss claims from three union benefit funds under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.
July 28, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Testimony against Takeda in Actos Lawsuit Alleges Profits Put before Patients ]
New York, NY A recent Actos bladder cancer lawsuit alleged that officials at Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., put profits ahead of patient safety when it came to Actos side effects. Testimony at the lawsuit, which was heard in March 2013, alleged the company was against including a bladder cancer warning on the Actos label. The Actos lawsuit resulted in a $6.5 million award to the victim, which was later overturned by the judge.
June 9, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ FDA Panelists Vote to Ease Restrictions on Avandia ]
Silver Springs, CO If anyone was curious as to the severity of the “hit” suffered by GlaxoSmithKline when its one-time superstar diabetes drug Avandia descended into a sea of concern over Avandia side effects, one needs only to look at the numbers. At its peak, more than 117,000 Americans were prescribed Avandia for Type 2 Diabetes. Following severe restrictions mandated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) three years ago, that number fell to just 3,400.
April 17, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Diabetes Meds Avandia and Januvia Under Renewed Scrutiny by FDA ]
Washington, DC Type 2 diabetes medications Avandia, Januvia, and Byetta are making the news right now, for all the wrong reasons. Reports out of London and Washington this week state that in June, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be re-reviewing results of a re-analysis of a 2009 study called Record, which showed a more than doubling of the risk for heart failure associated with Avandia (GlaxoSmithKline[GSK]). Bloomberg reports the re-analysis was requested by a previous advisory panel that found the drug should remain available in the US, despite its having been taken off the market in Europe.
November 2, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Following Avandia Problems, GlaxoSmithKline Agrees to Share Information ]
Toledo, OH Following concerns that it hid important clinical data on Avandia, drug maker GlaxoSmithKline has said it will now share more clinical data. GlaxoSmithKline was recently fined for withholding safety data about the risk of Avandia side effects from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA has severely restricted the uses for Avandia and GlaxoSmithKline has faced hundreds of Avandia lawsuits.
July 5, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Yet Another Actos Bladder Cancer Lawsuit ]
Lafayette, LA While Actos has recently come under the microscope for Actos macular edema, cases alleging the popular Type 2 diabetes drug triggered the onset of bladder cancer continue to roll in. One of the latest is that of a Virginia plaintiff who filed an Actos bladder cancer lawsuit last month in the US District Court for the Western District of Louisiana.
July 2, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GSK to Pay $3 Billion to Settle Criminal Charges on Avandia, Paxil and Wellbutrin ]
Washington, DC In what is being touted as the largest case of healthcare fraud in US history, GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK) is pleading guilty to misdemeanor criminal charges and will pay $3 billion in settlement of those charges relating to its drugs Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Avandia.
November 16, 2011. By Abi Kistler.
Read [ Are Diabetic Native Americans at Greater Risk for Actos Side Effects, too? ]
Tempe, AZ November is National Diabetes Month and according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA, www.diabetes.org), there are roughly 26 million Americans living with diabetes—and another 79 million at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The numbers are startling—in fact, every 17 seconds someone is diagnosed with diabetes, and the disease kills more people than breast cancer and AIDS combined each year. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the US.
November 3, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GSK To Pay $3 Billion to Settle Avandia Claims ]
Washington, DC A $3 billion settlement has been reached between GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of the controversial diabetes medication Avandia, and federal authorities, ending investigations into whether or not the company marketed drugs for unapproved uses, among other charges.
- FDA Asks for Actos Bladder Cancer Warning By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-11)
- Restrictions Announced in Avandia Use By Heidi Turner (May-25-11)
- Drugmaker Sued over Failure to Warn of Avandia Side Effects By Charles Benson (Mar-13-11)
- GlaxoSmithKline Faces Louisiana Lawsuit Over Avandia; Reportedly Settles Other Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Feb-22-11)
- Drugmaker Settles Avandia Heart Attack Lawsuit Prior to Trial By Charles Benson (Feb-16-11)
- New FDA Restrictions Now Reflected on Avandia Label By Gordon Gibb (Feb-8-11)
- Drugmaker's Legal Costs Increase Due to Avandia Claims By Charles Benson (Jan-26-11)
- Avandia: "Substantial" New Cases Since the Summer By Gordon Gibb (Jan-20-11)
- Judge Allows Experts' Witnesses in Avandia Lawsuits By Lucy Campbell (Jan-20-11)
- GSK To Pay Billions More over Avandia By Lucy Campbell (Jan-18-11)
- Attorney: Don't Wait to File Avandia Claim By Heidi Turner (Jan-15-11)
- What Will 2011 Bring for Avandia? By Heidi Turner (Jan-7-11)
- Death Toll from French Drug Similar to Avandia Surpasses 2,000 By Charles Benson (Dec-25-10)
- Critic Says Avandia Should Be Banned By Heidi Turner (Dec-20-10)
- Makers of Avandia Sued by the State of Utah By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-10)
- New Warnings Given for Avandia Risks By Charles Benson (Nov-26-10)
- Avandia: Do FDA Warnings Help Determine Whether a Medicine Should Be Prescribed? By Heidi Turner (Nov-19-10)
- Will New Potential Benefit Breathe New Life into Avandia? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-4-10)
- Avandia Heart Attacks Force FDA to Severely Restrict Drug's Use By Charles Benson (Oct-25-10)
- What Should Patients Do In Light of Avandia Restrictions? By Heidi Turner (Oct-14-10)
- Even With Restrictions on Avandia, FDA Still Cautious By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-10)
- FDA Announces Severe Avandia Restrictions By Heidi Turner (Sep-23-10)
- British Medical Journal: Pull Avandia from Market By Charles Benson (Sep-20-10)
- Actos possibly linked to Bladder Cancer By Jane Mundy (Sep-19-10)
- Could Avandia Be Pulled from European Market? By Heidi Turner (Sep-12-10)
- UK Medical Agency Concerned About Avandia By Lucy Campbell (Sep-6-10)
- New Study Further Clouds Debate over Avandia By Gordon Gibb (Sep-3-10)
- Avandia Memo Reportedly Biased By Heidi Turner (Aug-25-10)
- TIME: Glaxo Knew of Avandia Heart Attack Risk By Charles Benson (Aug-21-10)
- The FDA's Avandia Decision By Heidi Turner (Aug-13-10)
- Avandia's Fate is Sealed, Says Doctor. "The Drug is Done" By Gordon Gibb (Aug-5-10)
- GlaxoSmithKline to Pay $460 Million to Avandia Plaintiffs By Heidi Turner (Jul-28-10)
- FDA Stops Avandia TIDE Trial By Lucy Campbell (Jul-21-10)
- GSK Settles 10,000 Avandia Suits for $460M By Lucy Campbell (Jul-14-10)
- FDA Panel Recommendations Could Be Serious Blow to Avandia By Heidi Turner (Jul-14-10)
- Expert Panel Finds Avandia Increases Risk for Heart Attack By Lucy Campbell (Jul-14-10)
- FDA Medical Reviewer Slams RECORD Trial Conclusions, Casting Further Doubt on Avandia By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-10)
- Avandia Debate Continues at ADA Conference By Gordon Gibb (Jul-7-10)
- Bad News for Avandia from Two Big Studies By Lucy Campbell (Jun-28-10)
- Avandia Rejected in Germany By Heidi Turner (Jun-27-10)