Request Legal Help Now - Free


United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund Establishment and Development

Santa Clara:, CA In moving forward with the development of the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund (“the Fund”), the US Attorney General has appointed a Special Master, (codified at 42 U.S.C. § 10609 (2015).

The Act mandates that the Special Master “publish in the Federal Register and on a website maintained by the Department of Justice a notice specifying the procedures necessary for United States persons to apply and establish eligibility for payment, including procedures by which eligible United States persons may apply by and through their attorney.” 42 U.S.C. § 10609(b)(2)(A). The notice is not subject to the federal regulatory public comment process.

Once application procedures have been published, the specific group of terrorism victims defined in the Act may seek compensation from the Fund. The Fund may compensate eligible United States persons who (1) hold a final judgment issued by a United States district court awarding the applicant compensatory damages arising from acts of international terrorism for which a foreign state sponsor of terrorism was found not immune from the jurisdiction of the courts of the United States under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act; or (2) were taken and held hostage from the United States Embassy in Tehran, Iran, during the period beginning November 4, 1979, and ending January 20, 1981, or are spouses and children of these hostages, if identified as a member of the proposed class in case number 1:00-CV-03110 (EGS) of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.

Legal Help

If you have a similar problem and would like to be contacted by a lawyer at no cost or obligation, please click the link below.
Published on Jun-29-16


Please read our comment guidelines before posting.

Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.

Request Legal Help Now! - Free