LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
A freelance writer for nearly two decades, Lucy Campbell has traveled extensively, covering stories of interest from around the world. Much of Lucy's focus is on consumer advocacy, and the legal topics that affect her readers' daily lives--everything from mislabeled food to auto recalls to harmful drugs and defective products. In her spare time, Lucy enjoys painting and a good cup of coffee.
Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data
February 27, 2018.
Washington, DC: Families of patients who allegedly suffered birth defects while taking GlaxoSmithKline’s (GSK) anti-nausea drug Zofran, and who are suing the drug maker in multi-district litigating (MDL) are asking that the drug maker hand over data stored in a drug safety database called “Argus.”Read [ Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data ]
Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL
February 15, 2018.
Los Angeles, CA: Zimmer, the maker of NexGen knee replacements and the defendant in a defective products multi-district litigation (MDL) has reached a preliminary settlement with the plaintiffs in the longstanding MDL.Read [ Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL ]
Family of Apollo 13 Star Bill Paxton File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
February 14, 2018.
Los Angeles, CA: Almost a year ago Bill Paxton, the actor who starred in “Apollo 13” died suddenly following heart surgery. This week, his family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the surgeon and the medical center where Paxton underwent surgery. The complaint asserts the surgeon was negligent as he misrepresented the risks of involved with the procedure.Read [ Family of Apollo 13 Star Bill Paxton File Wrongful Death Lawsuit ]
Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers
February 13, 2018.
Santa Cruz,CA: Takata, the Japanese maker of airbags that contained defective inflators, which caused injuries and more than a dozen deaths of drivers and passengers, has reached a settlement to pay tort claimants.Read [ Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers ]
Takata Air Bag Recall Expands - 3.3M More Vehicles Affected
January 19, 2018.
Washington, DC: This week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that defective Takata airbag recall has been expanded to include vehicles from 14 different automakers. According to ABCNews on Thursday night, the NHTSA posted documents to its website listing the latest affected vehicles. These include Ford, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Daimler Vans, Toyota, Tesla, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, Mazda, Subaru, Jaguar-Land Rover, McLaren and Volkswagen. Last week, Toyota, Ford and Honda released some of their affected models.Read [ Takata Air Bag Recall Expands - 3.3M More Vehicles Affected ]
Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks
January 16, 2018.
Seattle, WA: Amazon and Jungle Trux, based in King County, WA, have started the new year facing an unpaid overtime and employment class action lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed by two package delivery drivers who allege Jungle Trux and Amazon failed to pay them overtime, undercounted their hours, and failed to provide them with required breaks.Read [ Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks ]
Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team
January 9, 2018.
Chicago, IL: Just days before the third Androgel lawsuit was set to go to court, the multi-million dollar verdict-winning lawyers representing the plaintiffs in the testosterone multidistrict litigation (MDL) swapped out their key lawyers.Read [ Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team ]
401K Lawsuit Finds Edison Human Resources Rep Liable for Breach of Fiduciary Duty
December 15, 2017.
Washington, DC: A supreme court ruling in an ERISA lawsuit concerning the statute of limitations pertaining to plaintiffs claims, namely, Tibble, et al vs. Edison International, et al, has found the VP of human resources liable of a fiduciary breach.Read [ 401K Lawsuit Finds Edison Human Resources Rep Liable for Breach of Fiduciary Duty ]
$28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer
December 5, 2017.
Philadelphia, PA: A jury has found against units of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Bayer AG in the fourth bellwether Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) case being heard as part of a Xarelto mass tort. The award, nearly $28 million, is the first favoring a plaintiff, in this case Lynn Hartman, who alleged she suffered a serious gastrointestinal bleed while using the blood thinning medication. The jury found that the pharmaceutical companies failed to provide adequate warnings regarding the risks for bleeding associated with Xarelto.Read [ $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer ]
$247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial
November 16, 2017.
Dallas, TX: A $247 million verdict has been awarded against the maker of DePuy’s Pinnacle line of metal-on-metal hip implants, DePuy Orthopaedics Inc, and its parent company Johnson & Johnson (J&J), with $90 million in punitive damages against J&J and $78 million in punitive damages against DePuy. The settlement is the third, consecutive multi-million dollar verdict delivered in this multidistrict litigation.Read [ $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial ]
- New Risperdal Trial Ordered (Nov-15-17)
- First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering (Nov-6-17)
- Don't Use Ultrasonic Aspirators to Remove Uterine Fibroids FDA States (Oct-31-17)
- $417 Jury Verdict Tossed in California J&J Ovarian Cancer Lawsuit (Oct-23-17)
- $72M J&J Talc Cancer Verdict Reversed (Oct-18-17)
- Androgel Heart Attack Victim Awarded $140M (Oct-11-17)
- Bayer Pulls Essure Birth Control Device From All Countries Except US (Sep-26-17)
- FDA Clears Bair Hugger for Post-Surgical Use (Sep-12-17)
- $57.1M Ethicon TVT Secur Mesh Verdict Awarded (Sep-8-17)
- Insys Faked Cancer Patients to Get Fentanyl Sales (Sep-7-17)
- $417M Verdict Awarded Against J&J in California Talcum Powder Lawsuit (Aug-21-17)
- $300M Benicar Settlement Reached (Aug-3-17)
- Women Speak Out About Essure Health Problems (Jul-31-17)
- ED-530XT Duodenoscopes Recalled (Jul-21-17)
- Sears Facing 401K Class Action Lawsuit (Jul-19-17)
- Charges Laid Against 412 Individuals for Medicaid Fraud and Opioid Prescribing (Jul-13-17)
- Takata Recalls Another 2.7M Air Bag Inflators (Jul-12-17)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Lawsuit Filed (Jul-5-17)
- Defective Airbags Prompt Takata Bankruptcy (Jun-26-17)
- Woman Awarded $2.1M in Fourth Pelvic Mesh Trial (Jun-15-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim (Jun-7-17)
- Ohio Sues Big Pharma for Misleading Opioid Marketing (Jun-6-17)
- $553M in Settlements Reached with Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and BMW in Takata Airbag MDL (May-18-17)
- $8M Settlement Reached in Omnicare False Claims Suit (May-18-17)
- $20M Verdict Awarded in Third Ethicon TVT Mesh Lawsuit (May-15-17)
- Recalled Airbags Being Recycled in Crash-Affected Vehicles (May-10-17)
- Saxagliptin Heart Failure and Death Lawsuits Filed (May-9-17)
- Bumble Bee Pleads Guilty to Tuna Price Fixing with Possible $25M Fine (May-8-17)
- $110M Verdict Against J&J In Talc Cancer Trial (May-5-17)
- $55M Personal Injury Verdict Against Honda Stands (Apr-19-17)
- 3M Bair Hugger Blanket Bellwether Cases Chosen for Trial (Apr-11-17)
- Zip-Line Injuries On the Rise (Mar-29-17)
- Fosamax Femur Fracture Lawsuits Revived (Mar-24-17)
- Granuflo Bellwether Case Fails to Prove Fault (Mar-3-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal (Feb-28-17)
- Damning Report on FDA Approval of Power Morcellators Released (Feb-9-17)
- J&J Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims Ovarian Cancer Risk Was Known (Feb-3-17)
- $25M Accutane Settlement Reinstated (Jan-26-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal (Jan-13-17)
- Older Model Duodenoscopes Pulled from Market (Jan-13-17)