"He was taken to the hospital (Jackson South) where he had to have blood work done, a urine test. He was then transferred to Miami Children's Hospital where he was hospitalized and put on IV fluids. I was unaware of the recall until my son arrived at the hospital and a nurse asked what he had to eat. After I told her that he had a peanut butter sandwich, she then mentioned that there was a recall on Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter. When I got home I checked the top of the jar and sure enough it had 2111 on the lid. I would like to be compensated for my son's hospital bill."
Tina Andert would also like to be compensated for hospital bills. "My son and I were very ill and finally had to go to the hospital," says Andert. "I even tried to eat a peanut butter sandwich to keep something in my stomach, but I kept throwing up. Soon afterward we learned of the Salmonella issue with the peanut butter. When examining the jar we indeed had one with the number 2111, although I have not had it tested yet. I still have the jar, lid and contents. I have hospital bills due to our illness."
On February 13th, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "CDC," released a study that found a connection between 288 cases of food borne illness in 39 states to consumption of certain types of Peter Pan peanut butter. The CDC believes the first illness from the current peanut butter epidemic may have occurred as early as August 2006.
On February 14, 2007 the FDA warned consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars have the product number "2111" on the lid. Salmonella poisoning causes fever, diarrhea, severe stomach cramps and can be life threatening persons with weakened immune systems or seniors.
Plaintiffs in Georgia and Tennessee filed a class action lawsuit on March 1, 2007 against ConAgra for manufacturing and selling peanut butter contaminated with Salmonella. Along with the complaint, they also filed a motion seeking an order from the Court requiring ConAgra to preserve all evidence related to contamination and recall.
On March 6, 2007, a lawsuit was filed against ConAgra Foods Inc. on behalf of the daughter of a woman who died from Salmonella poisoning after eating Peter Pan peanut butter. The suit alleges that ConAgra was negligent and failed to comply with the requirements of the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetics Act (21 U.S.C. 301 et. seq.) and consequently contributed to the peanut butter contamination and subsequent outbreak of Salmonella.
ConAgra Foods recalled lots of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter due to salmonella contamination and widespread reports of related illness in multiple states. The FDA investigated ConAgra's processing plant, collected product samples and conducted tests for Salmonella.
The peanut butter with the code 2111 was made from May 2006 through February 2007. Although most cases have occurred in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri, there are victims throughout the U.S.
If you have suffered symptoms of contaminated peanut butter do not discard the evidence; instead mark the peanut butter with 'Do Not Eat' or 'Contaminated' and make certain the jar is stored in safe place that is beyond the reach of children. The peanut butter can be tested for the presence of Salmonella. You may then want to get legal help.