Although no details about the reported settlement have been released, the lawsuit of Anais Fournier was recently expected to go to trial. Anais was 14 years old when she went to the mall with friends and drank two Monster Energy drinks in a 24-hour period. She died of cardiac arrest.
Two lawsuits were settled in April 2015. According to The Wall Street Journal, wrongful death lawsuits filed by the families of Alex Morris and Shane Felts were settled for undisclosed amounts. Monster Energy has maintained its energy drinks are safe for consumption.
There have been calls for more regulation of energy drinks but because they are classified as a dietary food supplement, they are not as heavily regulated as food products.
But the FDA may be growing more concerned about caffeine and its effects on consumers. On September 1, 2015, the FDA sent warning letters to five distributors of pure powdered caffeine due to the “significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury to consumers.” According to the FDA, one teaspoon of pure powdered caffeine is equivalent to 25 cups of regular coffee. Caffeine overdose is linked to serious health problems, including heart problems, seizures and death.
READ MORE MONSTER ENERGY DRINK INJURY LEGAL NEWS
At least two deaths have been linked to the use of pure powdered caffeine. Both deaths involved young, otherwise healthy males. Their families reportedly told the FDA that they took the caffeine believing it a safe way to boost their energy. As a result, the FDA issued a consumer advisory warning of the dangers associated with the use of pure powdered caffeine.