Request Legal Help Now - Free


Arnold, MO

Arnold, MO: (Apr-11-07) Kurt Hartzell hung himself in the Arnold jail June 30, 2005, leading his father and nine-year-old son to sue the city for wrongful death. The suit alleged the city was negligent in the care offered at the jail and that though Hartzell had been placed on suicide watch in a cell monitored by video cameras, jail employees failed to prevent him from committing suicide. An investigation into the suicide led to the disciplining of several employees of the Arnold Police Department. A settlement was reached before the lawsuit was officially filed, but because the case involved a minor and a wrongful death action, a friendly suit was filed to approve the case for court. The settlement would involve a $950,000 compensation and Hartzell's father, Robert Hartzell, will receive 20% of the money after attorney fees, the other 80% will go to Kurt Hartzell II. Missouri Intergovernmental Risk Management Association, the insurance provider of the city of Arnold, will pay the settlement money, leaving the city's budget untouched. [SUBURBAN JOURNALS: JAIL HANGING]

Legal Help

If you have a similar problem and would like to be contacted by a lawyer at no cost or obligation, please click the link below.
Published on Apr-18-07


Posted by

My son has now been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury. The day after he was taken off life support he was returned to jail and was not treated as directed by the discharging doctor.


Please read our comment guidelines before posting.

Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.

Request Legal Help Now! - Free