Anne Wallace is a New York lawyer, currently living in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. She writes on legal and business issues and teaches at the college and professional level. Anne graduated from Fordham Law School and Wellesley College.
February 25, 2018.
Pittsburgh, PA: Viola Chapman began taking Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR (Saxagliptin) to treat her type 2 diabetes in February 2015. By December, as her Onglyza lawsuit claims, those drugs had caused heart failure, congestive heart failure and cardiovascular injury.Read [ Deadly Onglyza Side Effects Set in Fast. Lawsuits Lumber On ]
February 22, 2018.
Los Angeles, CA: Actually, Jennie Lam's California labor lawsuit calls out the owners of the Los Angeles Beverly Hills Four Seasons Hotel for race discrimination, harassment, whistleblower retaliation, age discrimination, wrongful termination and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Beverly Cohen, one of the owners, seems to have been particularly given to racist comments. But requiring an employee to work without rest or meal breaks in a 100-degree heated greenhouse or to use dangerous tools without training is also pretty bad.Read [ Worker Claims Employment Discrimination Based on her Asian Heritage ]
February 18, 2018.
New York, NY Tawanna Roberts's excessive bank overdraft fees lawsuit had all the familiar hallmarks. She claimed that she had a positive balance at the time she made the transactions that triggered the penalties, and that those penalties were made worse by Capital One's practice of reordering transactions to maximize what it could charge.Read [ It's Alive! Class Action Lawsuit against Capital One Bank is Back On ]
February 15, 2018.
Los Angeles, CA: The Johnson & Johnson Ethicon surgical mesh lawsuits just keep on coming. On January 19, 2018, Sharon Smith filed a new Hernia Mesh lawsuit in the US District Court for the Central District of California.Read [ California Woman Slams J&J, Ethicon with 7-Count Physiomesh Lawsuit ]
February 6, 2018.
Chaska, MN: By the middle of 2017, after more than 128 bill collector harassment calls Kristie Drigger had had enough. She sued Capital One Bank in Minnesota District Court, seeking at least $1,500 per telephone call made in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone ]
February 5, 2018.
Washington, DC: As many as 80 percent of expectant mothers suffer from heartburn or acid indigestion during pregnancy. Until recently proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), such as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid, were thought to be both effective for mom and safe for baby.Read [ Childhood Asthma Risk Linked to Mother’s PPI Use during Pregnancy ]
February 3, 2018.
Washington, DC Since 2009 emergency room charges have jumped by as much as 85 percent. Are patients really sicker? Has the actual cost of care gone up that much? Are hospitals price-gouging? For both uninsured patients and those with big deductibles, the bottom line is the same – a gaping hole in the pocketbook.Read [ Are ER’s Cashing in on Upcoding? ]
January 22, 2018.
New Brunswick, NJ Next week the New Jersey Superior Court will hear opening arguments in Lanzo v. Cyprus Amex Minerals Co, the second Johnson & Johnson talcum powder mesothelioma case to go to trial. The first toxic tort lawsuit to allege a link between J&J’s talcum powder products and mesothelioma ended in a win for J&J. Another case involving Colgate-Palmolive’s Cashmere Bouquet talcum powder settled. There’s a lot riding on the outcome of Lanzo .Read [ Lanzo Talcum Powder Mesothelioma Toxic Tort Trial Opens in New Jersey ]
January 20, 2018.
Washington, DC The Department of Justice announced that Kmart Corporation has agreed to pay $32.3 million ($59 million including state law issues) to settle a lawsuit that claims in-store pharmacies overbilled Medicare Part D, Medicaid, and TRICARE. The healthcare fraud scheme, which a Kmart pharmacist stumbled upon only when he had his own prescription filled, allegedly affected drug reimbursements in 46 states. The pharmacist was awarded $9.3 million under the whistleblower qui-tam provisions of the False Claims Act (FCA).Read [ Kmart settles healthcare fraud lawsuit for $32.3 million ]
- Will Monsanto-Sponsored Science Poison RoundUp Lawsuits? (Jan-15-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline (Jan-10-18)
- Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit (Jan-6-18)
- Second Airbag Recall for Ford and Mazda Trucks (Jan-2-18)
- ‘Failure to Warn’ at Heart of Onglyza Lawsuits (Dec-31-17)
- Invokana Amputation Lawsuits Cite Consumer Advertising (Dec-22-17)
- Two Arguments to Watch in Physiomesh Bellwether Trials (Dec-18-17)
- Not Too Late for Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit (Dec-14-17)
- Exploding Airbags Cause Chemical Burns (Dec-6-17)
- Can a Cabbie Collect Overtime? (Dec-4-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim (Dec-1-17)
- Are PPIs Especially Dangerous for Women? (Dec-1-17)
- Tesla Hit with Racial Discrimination Class Action Lawsuit (Nov-29-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Wins First Mesothelioma Trial (Nov-28-17)
- Untold Story of Opioid Epidemic: Attorney Explains Kickbacks and Billing Fraud (Nov-27-17)
- Are Continuous Overdraft Fees Like Illegal Payday Loans? (Nov-25-17)
- Toddler Loses Leg and all her Fingers in Pressure Cooker Explosion (Nov-22-17)
- Invokana Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL in New Jersey (Nov-20-17)
- Taxotere Hair Loss Does Additional Harm to Breast Cancer Survivors (Nov-12-17)
- Did FDA Fast-Track Contribute to IVC Filter Injuries? (Nov-10-17)
- Time Runs Short for Actemra Lawsuits (Nov-7-17)
- Phoenix Warehouse of California Hit with Overtime Pay Class Action Lawsuit (Nov-6-17)
- Onglyza Lawsuits Seek MDL Status in California (Nov-4-17)
- Left Behind in Benicar Lawsuit Settlement (Nov-1-17)
- It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees (Oct-30-17)
- Six Sue Tristar for Exploding Pressure Cooker Injuries (Oct-29-17)
- Rumors of Doom for Talcum Powder Lawsuits Greatly Exaggerated (Oct-29-17)
- What is Next for Burn Pit Lawsuits? (Oct-26-17)
- Are Franchisors like McDonalds Accountable for Wage Theft? (Oct-24-17)
- Second Recall for Mitsubishi Airbags (Oct-20-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit (Oct-15-17)
- Are Actemra Claimants Headed for Multidistrict Litigation? (Oct-13-17)
- Court Order Means Potential Taxotere Plaintiffs Should Act ASAP (Oct-11-17)
- Cook Celect IVC Filter Lawsuit Goes to Trial (Oct-9-17)
- Were Defective St. Jude Cardiac Defibrillators Implanted Even After Recall? (Oct-9-17)
- Add Pancreatic Cancer to Your List of Saxagliptin Worries (Oct-9-17)
- Nurses Seek Class Action in Overtime Pay Lawsuit against CareMeridian (Oct-5-17)
- Citibank Borrowers Beware (Oct-4-17)
- Whistleblower Nets $2.9 Million in Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit (Oct-4-17)
- J&J Seeks Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit (Sep-30-17)