LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
California Labor Law Legal News Articles & Interviews
November 17, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Amazon Facing California Wage and Hour Proposed Class Action ]
Santa Clara, CA A proposed class action filed in California federal court on behalf of Amazon warehouse managers accuses Amazon of violating California labor laws, including failure to pay overtime, not providing adequate meal and rest breaks, and failure to keep accurate payroll records. And this isn’t the first Amazon overtime lawsuit.
November 13, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ National Collegiate Athletic Association Class Action Lawsuit Going Forward ]
Santa Clara, CA A California federal judge has given the green light for labor lawsuits accusing the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) of depriving U.S. college athletes of compensation for the commercial use of their “name, image and likeness” to proceed as an anti-trust class action. The plaintiffs, three college athletes, have accused the NCAA and its conferences of conspiring to restrict payments to athletes for television broadcasts, video games and other revenue sources.
November 6, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ $155 Million Overtime Settlement Approved for Prison Supervisors ]
San Francisco, CA A $155 million overtime settlement filed by current and retired California prison supervisors has been approved by a San Francisco Superior Court Judge. The original California labor lawsuit, dating back to 2008, alleged unpaid overtime wages for tasks performed before and after their shifts.
October 31, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Sues Meta Over Youth Marketing ]
Oakland, CA A lawsuit filed in California claims that Meta's Instagram and Facebook have “profoundly altered the psychological and social realities of a generation of young Americans" by knowingly and deliberately designing features that addict young people to its platforms. The lawsuit, which is filed in 33 states, alleges that such features are contributing to the youth mental health crisis. According to the complaint, its motive is profit.
October 25, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Company Secrets: Apple v. Rivos ]
San Jose, CA How much can former employees be ordered to keep secret? That is the issue with Apple and chip startup Rivos. In August 2022 the tech giant slammed Rivos and two employees with a California labor lawsuit alleging breach of contract and violation of the Defend Trade Secrets Act. In a countersuit, Rivos claims that Apple forces employees to sign restrictive agreements that prevent them from working elsewhere and stifle up-and-coming companies that hire its staff.
October 16, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Equinox $36 million settlement for California Wage and Hour Lawsuits ]
Alameda, CA Equinox has agreed to pay $36 million to resolve two California labor lawsuits alleging the fitness company required more than 15,000 employees to perform pre-shift work without pay and to skip meal breaks. The settlement, which resolves California state and federal actions, covers those who worked for Equinox in California between April 3, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2022.
October 11, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Background Actor Files California Labor Law Complaint against HBO ]
Los Angeles, CA On the heels of actors talking again to studios regarding labor issues and writers back at work, a background actor in Los Angeles has filed a proposed class action claiming HBO and the production company Cooler Waters Productions, LLC violated California labor laws. Violations include failure to pay overtime and meal and rest period premiums, failure to provide accurate wage statements and issue all wages earned prior to an employee’s termination.
October 4, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Operators of 14 Subway Restaurants: Sell or Shutdown ]
San Francisco, CA On the heels of a federal investigation into illegal child labor, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California has issued the owners of 14 Subway franchises an ultimatum: Sell or Shut Down. Once the public and communities at those 14 locations know how John Michael Meza, his wife, Jessica L. Meza and their associate Hamza “Mike” Ayesh endangered the safety and well-being of children, perhaps they would be wise to shut down and leave town…
September 29, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Amazon Unpaid Wages During COVID Screenings Settled ]
Santa Clara, CA An unpaid wages lawsuit filed by former Amazon warehouse employees in a California federal court has reached a settlement. The lawsuit, filed in February 2021, accused Amazon of violating the Fair Labor Standards Act and the California Labor Code when they were forced to undergo unpaid COVID-19 screenings before clocking in. They spent at least 10 to 15 minutes being screened before each shift.
September 27, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Twitter’s Age Discrimination Lawsuit Proceeds Says California Judge ]
San Francisco, CA A proposed California labor class action against Twitter, or X Corp., alleging age discrimination will proceed after a California federal judge partially denied the company’s attempt to toss the complaint. The social media platform is now facing claims that mass layoffs occurred after Elon Musk took control of the company and disproportionately impacted employees over the age of 50.
- San Francisco files Misclassification Lawsuit Against Qwick Hospitality Staffing Company By Jane Mundy (Sep-26-23)
- WestRock Disability Discrimination Lawsuit Amounts to $9.5 million By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-23)
- Apple Settles California Wage & Hour Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Sep-12-23)
- California Real Estate Agents Entitled to Overtime By Jane Mundy (Sep-11-23)
- Twitter Tries to Bail on Bonusses By Jane Mundy (Aug-31-23)
- California Judge Approves Old Dominion Freight Line and Dockworkers Settlement By Jane Mundy (Aug-27-23)
- Court Ruling Increases Disney Employees’ Minimum Wage By Jane Mundy (Aug-10-23)
- SpaceX Slammed with another California Labor Class Action Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-23)
- Walt Disney’s Female Employees File Sex Discrimination Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-23)
- Two California Public Water Utility Attorneys Awarded $6 million By Jane Mundy (Jul-21-23)
- Balkan Workers Allege Tesla Denied California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jul-12-23)
- Home Depot Wages Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-23)
- Verizon Overtime Lawsuit, Over and Over Again By Jane Mundy (Jul-6-23)
- Whistleblower Complaint Hinged on “Disclosure” Definition By Jane Mundy (Jun-15-23)
- Bitwise Lawsuit Alleges WARN Act Violation By Jane Mundy (Jun-14-23)
- Strippers in California Unionize By Jane Mundy (Jun-8-23)
- Glove Maker Forced Labor Lawsuit Not Over By Jane Mundy (Jun-7-23)
- No Breaks from Shamrock Foods, Breakfast Republic or Modesto Community Hospice By Jane Mundy (Jun-5-23)
- Farmers Insurance Cleared of Age Discrimination By Jane Mundy (May-30-23)
- San Francisco Superior Court: Pay Banquet Servers $9 Million By Anne Wallace (May-18-23)
- Five Guys and California Plaintiff’s Fifth Agreement Nearing Settlement By Jane Mundy (May-12-23)
- Another WARN complaint Hurled at Twitter By Jane Mundy (May-9-23)
- Ninth Circuit Overturns California’s “No Forced Arbitration Law” By Anne Wallace (Apr-30-23)
- Community Hospice Slammed with California Wage and Hour Class Action By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-23)
- Grubhub Owes Misclassified Former Driver $65 – with Implications By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-23)
- West Marine Products to Settle California Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Apr-12-23)
- Investigating the California Wage Theft Investigators By Jane Mundy (Mar-30-23)
- Bloomingdale’s and Macy’s Slammed with California labor lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-22-23)
- Virgin, Alaska Air Workers to Receive Almost $31M in California Wages Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-9-23)
- Lowe’s Class Action Alleges California Wage and Hour Violations By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-23)
- California Labor Contractor to Pay Farmworkers Damages and Penalties By Jane Mundy (Mar-6-23)
- United Airlines California Wage Statement Settlement By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-23)
- California Wage Theft Rampant By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-23)
- California Ranch Operator Says Judge is Biased in Second Wage Theft Class Action By Jane Mundy (Feb-9-23)
- Health IQ Slammed with Proposed California Labor Law Class Actions By Jane Mundy (Jan-26-23)
- Can PAGA Claims Survive U.S. Supreme Court’s Pro-Arbitration Decisions? By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-23)
- Walmart Wage Statement Lawsuit and $35M Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-23)
- California FedEx Driver’s Misclassification Lawsuit Settles By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-23)
- Mortgage Loan Officers Entitled to Rest Periods By Jane Mundy (Jan-3-23)
- Car Wash Employers Don’t Come Clean By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-22)