LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
California Unpaid Wages Legal News Articles & Interviews
November 13, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ National Collegiate Athletic Association Class Action Lawsuit Going Forward ]
Santa Clara, CA A California federal judge has given the green light for labor lawsuits accusing the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) of depriving U.S. college athletes of compensation for the commercial use of their “name, image and likeness” to proceed as an anti-trust class action. The plaintiffs, three college athletes, have accused the NCAA and its conferences of conspiring to restrict payments to athletes for television broadcasts, video games and other revenue sources.
October 31, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Sues Meta Over Youth Marketing ]
Oakland, CA A lawsuit filed in California claims that Meta's Instagram and Facebook have “profoundly altered the psychological and social realities of a generation of young Americans" by knowingly and deliberately designing features that addict young people to its platforms. The lawsuit, which is filed in 33 states, alleges that such features are contributing to the youth mental health crisis. According to the complaint, its motive is profit.
October 16, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Equinox $36 million settlement for California Wage and Hour Lawsuits ]
Alameda, CA Equinox has agreed to pay $36 million to resolve two California labor lawsuits alleging the fitness company required more than 15,000 employees to perform pre-shift work without pay and to skip meal breaks. The settlement, which resolves California state and federal actions, covers those who worked for Equinox in California between April 3, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2022.
October 11, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Background Actor Files California Labor Law Complaint against HBO ]
Los Angeles, CA On the heels of actors talking again to studios regarding labor issues and writers back at work, a background actor in Los Angeles has filed a proposed class action claiming HBO and the production company Cooler Waters Productions, LLC violated California labor laws. Violations include failure to pay overtime and meal and rest period premiums, failure to provide accurate wage statements and issue all wages earned prior to an employee’s termination.
September 29, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Amazon Unpaid Wages During COVID Screenings Settled ]
Santa Clara, CA An unpaid wages lawsuit filed by former Amazon warehouse employees in a California federal court has reached a settlement. The lawsuit, filed in February 2021, accused Amazon of violating the Fair Labor Standards Act and the California Labor Code when they were forced to undergo unpaid COVID-19 screenings before clocking in. They spent at least 10 to 15 minutes being screened before each shift.
September 26, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ San Francisco files Misclassification Lawsuit Against Qwick Hospitality Staffing Company ]
San Francisco, CA The City of San Francisco at the end of August filed a lawsuit against Qwick Inc., accusing the hospitality staffing company of misclassifying their workers as independent contractors to deny them guaranteed wages and benefits. Qwick workers are unable to receive overtime, meals and rest breaks, health care or paid leave, and San Francisco city attorney David Chiu says Qwick has an "unfair business advantage" over businesses abiding by the California labor and employment laws.
September 12, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Apple Settles California Wage & Hour Lawsuit ]
Santa Clara, CA Apple Inc. workers who filed a wage-and-hour dispute in a California court have settled for $500,000. An investigation, which began in early 2022, showed that Apple’s overtime pay rate each month did not include the commissions that Solutions Consultants earned that month and Apple did not pay all Solutions Consultants for travel time between required meetings and their worksites.
August 31, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Twitter Tries to Bail on Bonusses ]
San Francisco, CA X.Corp, formerly Twitter Inc., asked a California federal judge at the beginning of August to dismiss a proposed California labor class action alleging the company illegally denied bonuses. The social media company argued that it decides whether to pay or deny extra incentive pay. But Twitter employees who were told that they would receive their bonus for 2022 disagree. The lawsuit represents employees who worked for Twitter during the first quarter of 2023 and were covered by Twitter's bonus plan but did not receive any incentive pay for 2022.
August 10, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Court Ruling Increases Disney Employees’ Minimum Wage ]
Anaheim, CA More than 25,000 Disney employees will see a pay increase following a California appellate court ruling in July that said Walt Disney Parks must follow Anaheim city law and pay its Disneyland Resort employees a living wage.
August 7, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Walt Disney’s Female Employees File Sex Discrimination Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA A group of current and former female employees at Walt Disney Co. claim they were paid at least $150 million less than men in similar middle-management positions, which violates the Fair Employment & Housing Act and California's Equal Pay Act.
- Two California Public Water Utility Attorneys Awarded $6 million By Jane Mundy (Jul-21-23)
- Home Depot Wages Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-23)
- Bitwise Lawsuit Alleges WARN Act Violation By Jane Mundy (Jun-14-23)
- Strippers in California Unionize By Jane Mundy (Jun-8-23)
- No Breaks from Shamrock Foods, Breakfast Republic or Modesto Community Hospice By Jane Mundy (Jun-5-23)
- San Francisco Superior Court: Pay Banquet Servers $9 Million By Anne Wallace (May-18-23)
- Five Guys and California Plaintiff’s Fifth Agreement Nearing Settlement By Jane Mundy (May-12-23)
- Ninth Circuit Overturns California’s “No Forced Arbitration Law” By Anne Wallace (Apr-30-23)
- Community Hospice Slammed with California Wage and Hour Class Action By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-23)
- Grubhub Owes Misclassified Former Driver $65 – with Implications By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-23)
- Virgin, Alaska Air Workers to Receive Almost $31M in California Wages Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-9-23)
- Lowe’s Class Action Alleges California Wage and Hour Violations By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-23)
- United Airlines California Wage Statement Settlement By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-23)
- California Wage Theft Rampant By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-23)
- Health IQ Slammed with Proposed California Labor Law Class Actions By Jane Mundy (Jan-26-23)
- Can PAGA Claims Survive U.S. Supreme Court’s Pro-Arbitration Decisions? By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-23)
- Mortgage Loan Officers Entitled to Rest Periods By Jane Mundy (Jan-3-23)
- Car Wash Employers Don’t Come Clean By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-22)
- Twitter Layoffs Trigger Labor Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Nov-30-22)
- Wells Fargo Settlement Raises Legal Fees Queries By Jane Mundy (Nov-25-22)
- Instacart Settles California Misclassification Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Oct-24-22)
- New California Law Requires Pay Transparency By Jane Mundy (Oct-19-22)
- Assisted Living Operator to Settle Wage and Hour Lawsuit for $9.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Oct-18-22)
- Citrus Workers Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-22)
- Converse Inc. Settles $450K Wage-and-Hour Lawsuit Settlement By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-22)
- IBM to Settle Sales Reps Claims for $4.75M By Jane Mundy (Sep-6-22)
- $30.5 Million Apple Settlement Approved By Jane Mundy (Sep-1-22)
- Uber Misclassification Suit Finally Settles for $8.4M By Jane Mundy (Aug-29-22)
- MLB To Pay $185 million “Starvation Deal” By Jane Mundy (Aug-11-22)
- Supreme Court Deals Blow to California PAGA Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-31-22)
- Nurse Files Same California Labor Class Action – Twice By Jane Mundy (Jul-31-22)
- Supreme Court Declines to Hear Airlines Meal & Rest Break Appeal By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-22)
- Google Resolves Gender Discrimination Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jul-12-22)
- California Attorney General Supports Washington State’s Ruling that GEO owes Detainees Minimum Wages By Jane Mundy (Jun-28-22)
- Equinox Employees Go Ahead with Three Class Actions By Jane Mundy (Jun-13-22)
- Minor League Baseball players and MLB Settle “Starvation” Wages Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jun-1-22)
- Matco Tools Settles California Misclassification Lawsuit for $15.8 Million By Anne Wallace (May-31-22)
- Oman v. Delta Airlines is Done. Virgin America v. Bernstein Looms on the Horizon By Anne Wallace (May-20-22)
- Minor League Players “Chasing a Dream” Under Harsh Living Conditions By Jane Mundy (May-11-22)
- MLB Farm Team Players to Get Their Day in Court By Anne Wallace (May-6-22)