Advertisement
LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION

I am a mother with a disability SEEKING FURTHER advocacy

I am a mother with a disability SEEKING FURTHER advocacy

by Laurie Edberg » May-16-04 7:35 pm

Disabled parents are parents too!

Please take the time to read my stories and check my site out

My name is Laurie Edberg.My contact information is

I am now 37 years old,when I created this page.I was a 35 year old disabled mother with 3 ADHD, wonderful, children.
We live in the Comox Valley in BC, Canada.
I have a tracheotomy, which is a tube in my throat which helps me breathe at night,
and ataxia which effects my balance.
My children and I have been harassed by the
Ministry for Children and Family Development for years.

My children were formally apprehended March 28 2000.
I was told by social services that they felt I was unfit to care for my children.
I do not drink nor do I take drugs, I don't even smoke.
Since my first child was born, I have been dealing with the
Ministry for Children and Family Development.
I have had many rude interruptions and abrupt cruel actions
done to my family by MCFD over the years.
I have had a 48 page parental assessment done by a psychologist,
who is also a ex-social worker. The psychologist was frustrated
by the wrongly created situation created by the MCFD.
The assessment was argumentative and comparatively opposite
to the 2 short assessments done by a MCFD psychologist.
The assessments done by the MCFD psychologist were very untrue
and basically said I was very unfit. I have had 3 lawyers that
have agreed that this was a case of harassment and discrimination.
The MCFD will never admit to that and will always justify themselves.
I have seen and talked with other disabled parents, who are and
have been treated just as badly by MCFD. I am not only trying to help
myself, but other disabled parents.

I have been fighting this fight since April of 2000,in the courts.
Last time I was in court, during November 26 to 28 of 2001,
the judge seemed sympathetic to my case. My custody case is
probably going to hopefully finish up on February 26,27 of 2002.
I went to court on those fore mentioned dates. I regained custody of my twins,
under a 6 month supervision order. Unfortunately I did not regain custody of my
oldest son. But the judge did say I could appeal next year. Even though I
regained custody February 27, 02 the boys weren't returned home, by MCFD,
till March 18, 02.
My mother died March 17,02. I had to move us to a better location,
closer to a new school, on April 5,02. I received NO help, from MCFD till
April 12,02. Even though it was ordered that assistances started
upon the twins return home, by the judge and MCFD February 27,02. The courts
decided to put my children's father and grandfather on the stand so they
could have a chance to speak. This did further help my case against the MCFD.
We as disabled parents need to be heard and respected by government and society.
SO PLEASE SPEAK UP!

Well it happened again. The boys got apprehended again last night, June 1,2002.
After the social worker and police officer did a search on a loving,
clean, safe, secure home and even though I and a friend looked for them,
after which I phoned 911, 40-45 minutes later. 911 told me they were found
them a couple blocks from my house. They got out a chain locked door,
which isn't that obvious to see, around 8:30 pm, I and a friend started
searching not long after and I had call for other friends for help,
and I also phoned 911 when I returned after searching, around 9:10-9:15 pm.
Well back to court I go on June 18,2002. I went to a meeting, June 5, 2002,
at MCFD in hopes of getting the boys back. Only to realize it was a waste
of tax payer's money, all involved person's time and a emotional abusive game.
I will be and have put in a alarm system and safety devices in my home to
keep the boys safely in the home. I went to court and the hearing has been
postponed till July 2,02.
To be heard, again, by the original judge! Well it wasn't the original judge.
I went in thinking I had it made, only to be confronted by lies and
twisted truths presented by affidavits by the social worker and family
service worker. Now I go back to court, again July 26,02 to set a date for
a case conference. The case conference has been set for August 9,02 at 3
pm. Now I and the children's father and grandfathers go back to a pretrial
on Sept 19 at 9 am. Well, I was suppose to go to court Oct 29 & 30. But a compromise on a nanny was agreed upon.That is what was suppose to happen. But, we are approaching christmas and things are still up in the air.I go back to court Feb 3 or 4,03 to finalize things. My lawyer is waiting for confirmation about my disability,my trust,custody and the nanny.I go back to court June 25,03 for yet another pretrial, to regain custody of my twins. I have a partner in my life,who is willing and able to assist me with my boys.But forsome unknown reason,MCFD has a problem with him.We plan on getting a house together for us and his 3 children and right now,my twins. I went to my,first, pretrial on May 22,03.What came out of that was a turn around.It looked like MCFD was going to back off and return the boys after Dave and I moved in to our house.2 weeks after the pretrial, the social worker arrived at my door.Informing us that their not backing off and their still taking me to court.So now I and Dave go to another pretrial June 25,03. There was a trial for July 16 and 30,but now it has been reset for Dec 1-5.The MCFD is forcing me to pay for a nanny.Even though MCFD communicates and collects information from her. They completely refuse to put any funding into the nanny. I am able to recieve a in home subsidy.This funding is from a daycare subsidy,not from MCFD.MCFD figures that because I have a trust fund available to me,I should and can afford a nanny.I have a real problem with this. First of all, it interfers with my family life. Next, I can not keep affording a nanny.THE SUBSIDY ONLY COVERS A PERCENTAGE OF MY COSTS.Also,this situation creates confusion for the children. Lastly,this is against my human rights.I and Dave went to mediation on the 13th of Nov. Just before the mediation,I went to a pretrial on the 10th of Nov and another on on the 20th of Nov.At mediation I,DAVE,MY LAWYER,MY TRUSTEE,THE SOCIAL WORKER,THEIR LAWYER AND THE MEDIATOR all agree to a plan to have the twins returned home,over the next year.Well when I went to the pretrial on the 2oth of Nov.MCFD refused this agreement.Now I wait to get a court date for a 5 day trial.I and David,along with my childrens father and grandfather also the social workers from 2 years ago. Attended part one of a possible 2 part court case,on March 26,2004. IF YOU ARE A ADVOCATE FOR DISABLED PARENTS, I COULD CERTAINLY USE
YOUR ASSISTANCE. YOUR ASSISTANCE WILL BE A ADDED BENEFIT TO THE ASSISTANCE
I ALREADY HAVE. Thank you. THIS DELAY IS NOT JUSTICE TO MY CHILDREN.
Thank you for your time, Laurie

discrimination

by tat » May-19-04 1:00 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. What would they do without you, it seems you create jobs for alot of people. Have you noticed alot of social services do exactly this? I call it job security at someone else's expense.

You did not say whether you have a disability advocate or disability attorney, I am going to assume you do already. I am disabled from injuries and my daughter is also, but we are fighting this system in the US for too many years now, so technically have not received the offical social security label of disabled, and by the looks of the social security status we probably won't due to lack of funds. I as a nurse use to make visits to developmentally disabled and review them for services.

I understand your need to fight, but realistically they do what they want and laws can be used just for their purposes, and often time they seem to follow no written law and judge merely with emotions. All they need is one complaint or something to base their unrelenting fervor on.

If I were you and had access to some money I would make some changes, that can't be healthy for anyone to endure such abuse by the system. If they can use your money instead of theirs they will and like you said will make you pay for the spy. I would get out of that court jurisdiction, you said you moved by maybe not far enough away.

I would also look at the possiblity if the kids would be better in a controlled environment ,they might be doing me a favor. sometimes the universe uses what they can to bring that almighty hand down to rearrange things for us.

Hope you find others for a class action suit or can file separate charges against them with the appropriate agencies. I would not fight the discriminnation during the court proceedings for your children, almost a lost cause. It needs to be separate but maybe you already know that. Good luck! Just don't let them keep you so preoccupied with the extraneous stuff which keeps you off focus and scrambling for your next move. They count on the emotional factor.

false allegations

by tks776 » Jun-03-04 5:38 am

I'm so sorry 2 hear that the government is still getting away w/th this b/s
My children were stolen in 1980. These people are nothing but home reckers. This webpage is interesting and has alot of court cases on it. check it out http://falseallegations.com/index.html

Go down the page until you get 2 alphabetical list. then, check out the drano series next this is very informative. I hope this helps some that is if you haven't been to the website b/for.

Protective services get money from the state for every child they remove from there home it's nothing but a big government black market. It's time they were held accountable.

Reply to your posting

by Guitarmanswife@aol.com » Jun-12-04 10:18 pm

Hi! Michelle here
Two handicapped children: one who is 16 with Aspergers Syndrome and ADD and a second one with ADHD and Bipolar.
I am a Diabetic with numerous other health problems. My sons need a mother who is able to stay home for the most part. The Welfare Dept cut off my medicaid in November of 2003 and promised that if I was "disabled" they would re-approve me for a medical card at a later date. That was in Dec 2003. They promised to PAY for my doctor to do a 2 hour exam and fill out paperwork and for the tests necessary to evaluate my condition for this medical card, but since the medicaid was no longer in effect, the bills were never paid BY medicaid and "I" had to eat the cost. What's worse is that my medications alone cost over $500 a month out of pocket. I haven't been able to see the doctor since August of last year when I first found out that I was diabetic except for a few occassions before the Nov 30th cut off point on my disability.
Due to the fact that I have a little over 3 yrs of college, they feel I should "return to work." I was retraining for a more stable career (short term 2 yr degree) on a part time basis, but they disapproved of that also and wanted me to "GET A JOB!" They didn't care if I couldn't afford to work for minimum wage or barely $10hr and no benefits and pay taxes, for my meds, and for a daycare or babysitter. By the time I would get done, I would be better off staying home! They didn't see it that way of course! They continued to harass me and were all up in my business over the Student Loans and Govt grants and REFUSED to subsidize my daycare while I was in school. They didn't see the sense in "school?"
With two handicapped children, at any given time, I am being called from the school when one or both of them "have a bad day" or "get in trouble with another student or teacher. I have to to assist, direct, and redirect behavior and homework getting done. One is in need of tutoring and a great deal of help WITH the homework. SO, where is there time to really work?
Also, there are appointments with psyciatrists, psychologists, the school system, the tutor and medical appointments for meds and such and runs to the hospital etc. YET "THEY" think I have all this "free time!' One of my children is just getting out of Kindergarden and is seriously struggling and should NOT have been passed, but he was. Our kindergarden's here are only half a day, so daycare is still expensive with it being out of my pocket. I tried the work thing and as soon as I have problems come up with one or both of my children, I either get fired or I am forced to quit. Employers expect a dedicated worker who is loyal to THEM, not one with problems in their home life!
Good luck with your ordeal and I will definatly pray for you! Michelle

Re: false allegations

by L. » Oct-06-04 11:25 am

A CLASS ACT LAWSUIT SHOULD BE FILED AGAINST THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES and their CHILD PROTECTION SERVICE Agencies.

DHS totally ignores or classifies as MOOT all grievances filed against them. DHS refuses to acknowledge receipt of grievances. DHS refuses to take educational items to children. OKDHS caseworkers reported that educational items are reported as lost, stolen, or destroyed and cannot be found. DHS embezzles medicines and educational supplies delivered to them from family members.

Oklahoma County DHS has either lied or combined several cases with this case, likely both ... (1) a Kiowa Indian Case, (2) case with 3 brothers, (4) case with children's broken bones, (5) case where two fictitious people called caseworker, (5) case where grandparent visited school, (6) case where six-year-old child spoke normally and other interminglings and/or lies. Some may be just intermingled cases. Others are just plain lies. Regardless, false accusations and DHS/CPS abuse/neglect are prevalent within our case. The final adoption was in March 2004.

Grandparent completed foster parent and adoptive parent training. DHS says grandparent cannot protect the children from sexual assaults on the school bus. Grandparent told by OKDHS Field Representative to bring ALL of the children's clothing, books, educational materials, musical instruments and toys to OKDHS for DISPOSAL.

Final Adoption was declared by the Oklahoma County Juvenile Judge who was ordered by the Supreme Court of the State of Oklahoma to recuse herself from the case for performing illegal acts during the trial. DHS Adoptions caseworker and the recused judge ignored presiding judge's adoption review hearing and grandmother's Motion for re-consideration of Adoption. DHS will now be rewarded more bonuses and awards for adopting little children. The Adoptions and Safe Families Act should be rescinded and all children who have been adopted since 1997 need to be returned for re-consideration to adopt to biological family members. SEE http://www.ripoffreport.com for more DHS or CPS horror stories. OKDHS placed a child in the foster home so he could sexually molest the other children in the home. OKDHS KNEW THE CHILD WOULD LIKELY SEXUALLY MOLEST OTHER CHILDREN. OKDHS APPROVED THE MOLESTATION OF OTHER CHILDREN IN FOSTER HOME. Foster Parents admitted the other children were sexually molested but OKDHS did NOTHING to stop the molestation.

DHS IS DEFINATELY CAUSING PERMANENT EMOTIONAL DAMAGES TO CHILDREN THEY TAKE INTO CUSTODY! REWARDS AND BONUSES TO DHS FROM MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY SHOULD BE STOPPED!

Re: false allegations

by Isys3000 » Sep-15-08 11:46 am

tks776 wrote:I'm so sorry 2 hear that the government is still getting away w/th this b/s
My children were stolen in 1980. These people are nothing but home reckers. This webpage is interesting and has alot of court cases on it. check it out http://falseallegations.com/index.html

Go down the page until you get 2 alphabetical list. then, check out the drano series next this is very informative. I hope this helps some that is if you haven't been to the website b/for.

Protective services get money from the state for every child they remove from there home it's nothing but a big government black market. It's time they were held accountable.

Note: There has been an alarming number of families, "including my own" that have been falsely accuse of crimes. OKDHS has many employess that will lie and have lied on people and paperwork to make it look as though they are doing their jobs as good employees, when the fact of the matter is it's all about money and climbing there way up the perverbial "corporate ladder" with no regards to who and how they tear apart children, mothers, fathers,.... families.

With respect to the innocently accussed and anyone who knows how OKDHS can easliy get away with such falsifcation I am asking for as many signatures as possible to get a court order for the justice system to open up cases that some OKDHS employees have handled in the past and the here and now, to prove how this organization needs a major overhaul and to prove the innocents of the truely innocent.

Here are just two of hundereds of links that give examples of how OKDHS and some of their employees have done so much wrong:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/107/peti ... hs-records

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/kotv/ ... VTUDSA9/p7

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/452154813

Thank you for your love and support to protect families.

Re: I am a mother with a disability SEEKING FURTHER advocacy

by Sugar70 » Dec-14-10 7:43 pm

You did not say whether you have a disability advocate or disability attorney, I am going to assume you do already. I am disabled from injuries and my daughter is also, but we are fighting this system in the US for too many years now, so technically have not received the offical social security label of disabled, and by the looks of the social security status we probably won't due to lack of funds. I as a nurse use to make visits to developmentally disabled and review them for services.
Great links!

Request Legal Help Now! - Free