A contributing legal writer for LawyersandSettlements.com during 2007-2008, Julia Brown covered pharmaceutical litigation, securities fraud, and employment lawsuits.
August 26, 2008.
Read [ Jewels, Lies and Unpaid Overtime ]
Picayune, MS For two years, jewelry sales associate Elizabeth Dunphey put in thousands of overtime hours yet her manager refused due compensation, proclaiming it was against Zale Corporation company policy. When Elizabeth was promoted to manager, she discovered the deepest of deceptions and the reasons behind it.
August 19, 2008.
Read [ Home Depot Retirement Fund Holders Get Second Chance in Court ]
Atlanta, GA Former Home Depot employees get a second chance at recovering losses to their ERISA portfolios after a federal appellation court reversed a dismissal of their lawsuit. Several lawsuits have been filed against Home Depot's former CEO and retirement plan management for the imprudent investment of employee retirement funds.
July 23, 2008.
Read [ Six Months and Counting for Overtime Pay ]
Brunswick, GA Allison was a general manager in the hospitality industry when new ownership eliminated her job. Six months later she is still fighting to receive $13,000 in overtime pay her contract guaranteed.
July 22, 2008.
Read [ Retirement Funds Tanked by Wachovia ]
Birmingham, AL George knows stocks; he works in the business and has kept a close eye on those stocks lining his retirement nest. Then Wachovia bought his company and the shares he accumulated plummeted, taking with them a million dollars worth of retirement funds.
July 18, 2008.
Read [ Daughter Investigates Father's Railroad Death ]
Alexandria, VA Rosemary Miranda's father was a railroad worker and he died of carcinoma of the lung. She is trying to reconstruct his life and death through official documents, brief memories and family stories. The statue of limitations has long run out on the 1961 death but Rosemary is still hoping for some form of compensation.
July 15, 2008.
Read [ Truck Driver Lucky to be Alive ]
San Francisco, CA The details of David's truck accident remain so vivid that he remembers everything right down to the minute. At 57 years old and a driver since 1970, this is the only major accident he has had.
July 9, 2008.
Read [ Is Gardasil to Blame in Teen Deaths and Adverse Effects? ]
Washington, DC The numbers are staggering. Less than two years after the approval of Gardasil, the much touted vaccine supposed to prevent cervical cancer in young women, several deaths and thousands of cases of adverse effects have been reported.
July 8, 2008.
Read [ Interview with Attorney Alan Crone on Overtime ]
Memphis, TN Attorney Alan Crone is senior partner of the Memphis-based Crone & Mason PL. This is a law firm that prizes teamwork to tackle complex relationship cases, whether they surface in business to business, family and/or employment law. In this interview, Crone helps navigate the intricacies of overtime law.
July 2, 2008.
Read [ Mobile and Content Providers under Scrutiny but Rapidly Developing ]
Oakland, CA Simon likens his obligation to paying for unwanted and unauthorized mobile content to being forced to pay to listen to telemarketers or crank callers. Three years ago he filed a complaint about T-Mobile for negligence in not providing a text-blocking device when his girlfriend was receiving unwanted SMS-text messages. The company's succinct response was 'change your number'. Unfortunately, with mobile marketing in rabid development today, you can be sure multiple companies will be text-messaging your number.
June 26, 2008.
Read [ Exposure to Mineral Dust Causes Lifelong Health Issues. ]
Oakland, CA Sure it was dusty, and sure the particles stuck in the throat but none of the railroad workers suspected that thirty years later they would be diagnosed as permanently injured by exposure to dangerous levels of mineral dust.
- An Optimistic View on Auction Rate Securities (Jun-23-08)
- Railroad Injuries Take Steam out of Man's Life (Jun-18-08)
- Employees Bite Back in Stock Option Fraud (Jun-13-08)
- No Extra Pay for Off-Clock-Employee Overtime (May-27-08)
- Waiting For Ford Cruise Control Parts (May-23-08)
- Special Needs Home Stalled By Auction-Rate Securities Failure (May-21-08)
- Interview with Attorney Cory Fein on Ford's Defective Cruise Control Recall (May-16-08)
- Misled to Buy ERISA Stock Options (May-14-08)
- A Ray of Hope in Auction Rate Securities - An Interview with Diane Nygaard (May-10-08)
- California Computer Professionals Take On IBM - Again (May-6-08)
- State Regulators and Attorney General Probe Banks and Brokers in Auction-Rate Securities Debacle. (May-5-08)
- Broker Insists Auction-Rate Securities are Still Safe (May-1-08)
- Caught with Auction Rate Securities (Apr-30-08)
- Understanding What's Behind Medication Errors (Apr-21-08)
- Who's Watching Out for the Consumer in Washington? (Apr-19-08)
- From Half a Million to Uncertain Worth with Auction Rate Securities (Apr-16-08)
- Self-Employed Programmer Forced to Make Concessions (Apr-15-08)
- Preventing Medication Errors (Apr-15-08)
- Diane Nygaard: Battling for Investors in Auction Rate Securities (Apr-11-08)
- From Diagnosis to Treatment, The Mesothelioma Journey (Apr-5-08)
- Navigating California Overtime Laws for Computer Professionals (Apr-5-08)
- Tracking Down a Cure for Mesothelioma (Apr-1-08)
- A Close Call for Botox User (Apr-1-08)
- Fierce Competition Coming for Botox (Mar-27-08)
- Overdose on Duragesic Painkiller Patch (Mar-25-08)
- Kids Play Shouldn't Be This Dangerous (Mar-23-08)
- Will Botox Leave You Divine, Damaged or Dead? (Mar-21-08)
- Lucky to be off Duragesic Pain Patch (Mar-20-08)
- Motorcycle Student Pays for Instructor's Mistake (Mar-16-08)
- Unusually High Rate of Small Aircraft Crashes in Southern California (Mar-13-08)
- Wind Shear Detection Improving but not Foolproof (Mar-12-08)
- Hidden Car Accidents (Mar-8-08)
- Reliving the Terror of Avandia (Mar-8-08)
- Getting Totaled by State Farm (Mar-7-08)
- Woman Suspicious of Vytorin's Side Effects (Mar-4-08)
- Vytorin - A Costly Risk (Mar-3-08)
- Is it Safer in the Air or on the Runway? (Feb-27-08)
- Trucker Loses Leg and Career (Feb-22-08)
- Defective Lamp Crushes Toes (Feb-18-08)
- Mistakes in Surgery Ruins Woman's Life (Feb-16-08)