Request Legal Help Now - Free


Power Plant Pollution

Albany, NY: (Feb-4-08) The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) brought charges against Mirant Bowline Inc., claiming that the company had alleged air and water violations at its West Haverstraw (Rockland County) power plant. The suit claimed that the DEC found several violations centered on malfunctioning monitoring equipment. In one case, instruments to measure the discharge rate of waste-water into the Hudson River and the pH of those discharges reported potentially inaccurate and incomplete data. Other violations dealt with a deficient storage tank that should have been removed or repaired. In addition, the company allegedly violated opacity (smoke density) restrictions about 25 times during a 15-month period ending in fall 2007. The Department acknowledged that Mirant Bowline self-reported a number of the deficiencies and has agreed to make corrections. The company will complete the obligations regardless of its ongoing bankruptcy proceeding.

As part of a settlement reached, Mirant Bowline Inc. has agreed to a $300,000 payout to resolve allegations. The settlement calls for the company to pay a $50,000 fine and fund a $250,000 "environmental benefit project" to promote research on fish and aquatic life in the Hudson River. In addition, it requires Mirant Bowline to make immediate repairs, hire an outside consultant to audit the plant and make any changes recommended by the consultant. [READ MEDIA: POWER PLANT POLLUTION]

Legal Help

If you have a similar problem and would like to be contacted by a lawyer at no cost or obligation, please click the link below.
Published on Feb-5-08


Please read our comment guidelines before posting.

Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.

Request Legal Help Now! - Free