LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Virginia Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Richmond, VA Kimberly Stoddard had been receiving long term disability payments under her Unum disability insurance policy for more than ten years, so it was a shock when the plan reconsidered and stopped paying her.Read [ How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit ]
June 5, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Washington, DC:Four federal talcum powder cancer lawsuits from two states claiming that Johnson & Johnson's talcum products caused ovarian cancer have been transferred to a multidistrict litigation in New Jersey.Read [ More Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Lawsuits Transferred to New Jersey MDL ]
May 15, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Richmond, VA: A transvaginal mesh lawsuit against mesh manufacturer Boston Scientific has been dismissed by an appellate panel, agreeing with a lower court’s ruling that plaintiff Martha Carlson could not adequately prove that Boston Scientific Corp. (Boston Scientific) failed to warn about the potential risks associated with their TVM product. The Fourth Circuit also concluded that Carlson did not adequately prove that she and her doctor didn’t know about the potential risks.Read [ Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Tossed on Appeal ]
May 1, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Waltham, MA: An Alere lawsuit that had been proposed as a class action on behalf of litigants alleging injury from inaccurate readings from the INRatio blood monitoring device escaped trial when the parties involved agreed to a settlement at the eleventh hour. Briefings related to J.E. et al. v. Alere Inc. et al (Case No. 1:16-cv-11515, in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts), and motions of dismissal put forward by Alere Inc. had been duly submitted, but the judge in the case had yet to rule on them when the settlement was announced.Read [ INRatio Proposed Class Action Settled Before Alere Lawsuit Could Proceed ]
March 19, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Boston, MA: In response to plaintiffs' January motion to keep an Alere INRatio class action lawsuit alive, Alere recently pushed back with arguments that the court should dismiss the case.Read [ Alere Pushes for Dismissal of Home Blood Test Kits Class Action ]
February 27, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Richmond, VA: Some women who opted for Essure chose the permanent birth control device because they didn’t want a hysterectomy. Due to Essure’s severe side effects and difficulty removing the device, however, Essure’s Physician Training Manual reports in its clinical trials a perforation rate of 3.4 percent and 0.5 percent expulsion (only 9 out of 14 patients underwent a successful second placement after expulsion—which is possibly the body’s way of rejecting a foreign body). But a few pages later, under “Potential Adverse Events not observed in clinical studies” it states:Read [ Essure or Hysterectomy—the Latter May Be Preferable ]
February 10, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Richmond, VA: An alleged purveyor of predatory lending is facing a settlement in excess of $15 million following protracted litigation lasting years and involving various interpretations pertaining to whether, or not the defendant(s) claims to immunity from state laws were legal, or justified.Read [ $15.3 Million Settlement over Predatory Lending ]
December 18, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Crewe, VA: No medical insurance? If it’s not a life-threatening situation, you may want to reconsider treatment at a hospital’s emergency room. Carlos could have saved thousands of dollars if he was treated by a veterinarian. Instead he is dealing with outrageous emergency room overcharges.Read [ ER Hospital Overcharges: Bat Bite Cost Uninsured $40K ]
November 25, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Harrisonburg, VA: Airbag injuries continue to dominate the conversation over a safety device that was once heralded as a cutting-edge augmentation to existing safety features such as lap belts and shoulder harnesses in vehicles, all designed to increase safety and minimize injury to occupants in the event of a crash. The reality in recent years, according to numerous airbag lawsuits, suggests that airbags are not infallible as safety devices and, in scores of cases, are alleged to inflict airbag injury when the device deploys incorrectly, or unexpectedly.Read [ Takata Airbags Found in High-End Vehicles ]
August 27, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Regulators Looking at Banks’ Roles in Internet Payday Loans ]
New York, NY When it comes to fighting Internet payday loans such as those offered by companies such as SpotLoan and Plain Green Loans, the obvious organization to fight is the one offering the online payday loans. But some regulators are looking at the banks as a means to cut off illegal Internet loans, especially in states such as Arizona, California and New York, where Internet payday loans or offering the loans without a proper license are illegal.
- Virginia Files Internet Payday Loans Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-13)
- Did Adderall Play a Role in the Death of Ex-Navy Corpsman? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-12)
- Transvaginal Mesh—Successful Revision Surgery By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-12)
- Force-Placed Insurance Begat Huge Profits for Insurers: Hearings By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-12)
- Third Lawsuit Filed in Virginia Amusement Park Accident By Gordon Gibb (May-23-12)
- The Hidden Dangers of Fentanyl Patches: FDA By Gordon Gibb (May-1-12)
- "My Daughter Died from Tylenol Liver Failure" By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-12)
- Bad Faith Insurance Plaintiff Wins Her Case By Gordon Gibb (Mar-28-12)
- Bus Crash That Killed Four Allegedly Caused by Sleepy Driver By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-11)
- Virginia Bus Accident Kills 4, Injures Dozens By Lucy Campbell (May-31-11)
- Eight People Injured in Boat Accident in Virginia By Charles Benson (May-15-11)
- 320 Cases of Pierre pb Jamwichs Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Mar-14-11)
- Risk of Food Poisoning Prompts Recall of Bright Water Buffalo Krab Dip Products By Lucy Campbell (Dec-22-10)
- Train Car Lands on Sidewalk After Train Derailment By Gordon Gibb (Dec-21-10)
- Kroger Recalls Pet Food in 19 States By Gordon Gibb (Dec-20-10)
- Kroger Recalls Pet Foods Due to Possible Health Risk By Lucy Campbell (Dec-20-10)
- Birth Injury Victim Awarded $2.3 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-10)
- Chinese Drywall Company Agrees to Repair Homes By Heidi Turner (Oct-29-10)
- Did Chinese Drywall Kill Virginia Man? By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-10)
- There's Nothing Mild about a Head Injury, Says Attorney By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-10)
- "Don't Give up the Fight with Unum" By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-10)
- Spinach Recalled due to Possible Listeria Contamination By Lucy Campbell (Jun-24-10)
- Basketball Star Manute Bol Contracts Stevens Johnson Syndrome By Charles Benson (May-27-10)
- Romaine Lettuce Products Recalled due to Possible E. Coli Contamination By Lucy Campbell (May-7-10)
- Supreme Court Ruling Blocks Suit for Legal Malpractice By Gordon Gibb (May-5-10)
- Health Advocates Warn of Conditions Commonly Rejected for Unum Disability Insurance By Charles Benson (May-5-10)
- Judge Orders Drug Manufacturer to Turn over Emails in Depakote Investigation By Charles Benson (Apr-16-10)
- MRSA Infection found at Massachusetts Elementary School By Charles Benson (Feb-23-10)
- Contamination Found in Soda Fountain Drinks By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-10)
- Concern over Denture Cream Zinc Poisoning Not Slipping By Gordon Gibb (Jan-11-10)
- Truck Driver with Brain Injuries Earns Workers Comp By Gordon Gibb (Jan-4-10)
- Virginia Man Sustains Burn Injury at Work By Charles Benson (Dec-29-09)
- Plaintiff's Overtime Case Is Denied in Virginia By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-09)
- New Criminal Law Guidelines Snake through North Carolina By Gordon Gibb (Dec-4-09)
- Strong Association Found Between Chinese Drywall and Respiratory Problems By Lucy Campbell (Nov-24-09)
- Miley Cyrus Tour Bus Crashes, Singer Not on Board By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-09)
- Family Law Works in Mysterious Ways By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-09)
- Court Sets Filing Deadline and $12,000,000 Settlement Fund for Peanut Butter Salmonella Claims By Ron Simon (Oct-4-09)
- "Deadly Errors Made Every Day," says former OR Nurse By Brenda Craig (Aug-24-09)
- Medical Malpractice Plaintiff Awarded Over a Million Dollars By Heidi Turner (Aug-14-09)