LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Oregon Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 26, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Grand Rapids, MI: While you rarely hear about it, the fact remains that in some cases an insurance company that denies an insured short, or long-term disability benefits sometimes gets it right. To wit, a federal magistrate in Michigan earlier this month determined that Unum Life Insurance Company of America was within its rights to discontinue disability benefits after two years, noting that the plaintiff's wrongly denied disability claims were not credible.Read [ Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some ]
March 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Gibsonia, PA: Tucked in amongst a seemingly never-ending barrage of positivity stemming from the Unum camp with regard to investment, expansion and financial performance are the ever-lurking Unum insurance lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance and similar frustrations after an insurer that happily accepts monthly premiums suddenly does an about-face and pulls that plug when it comes time to pay up.Read [ A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits ]
December 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: A medical doctor who carried Unum insurance for long-term disability has launched an Unum lawsuit against the global supplier of LTD insurance after the insured’s benefits were abruptly stopped, and his LTD claim denied. The benefit to the plaintiff, according to claims made in the Unum disability claims lawsuit, amounts to $12,500 gross per month the plaintiff asserts is owed to him pursuant to the terms of his disability policy.Read [ Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability ]
July 26, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Bend, OR: Since undergoing abdominal mesh surgery four years ago, Dale has experienced more pain than he did before the mesh was used to repair a hernia. “I get severe pain in the area of my hernia repair and sometimes a burning feeling but I never knew what was causing it, and neither did my doctor,” he says. These symptoms and more are similar to other abdominal mesh victims who needed revision surgery to remove it—or some of it.Read [ Abdominal Mesh Agony and Advice ]
February 5, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Portland, OR: Given the amount of recent complaints following hernia repair surgery, abdominal mesh complications could soon equal, or even surpass, transvaginal mesh complaints, of which more than 100,000 lawsuits have been filed.Read [ Hernia Mesh Implants: Risks Outweigh Benefits ]
January 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: An ongoing dispute on the books for some ten years was resolved late last year in federal court in Oregon by way of a $15.45 Million settlement laying to rest claims by defendant FedEx their drivers were working as independent contractors when, in the view of the plaintiffs, they were bone fide employees of the company. The class action Oregon Employment lawsuit involved some 400 plaintiffs.Read [ After a Decade of Litigation, FedEx Drivers Settle for $15.45 Million ]
November 26, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Seattle, WA: As one plaintiff in a talcum powder lawsuit celebrates her $70 million award, more lawsuits have been filed against Johnson & Johnson, alleging the company knew about a potential link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer but did not warn consumers about that risk.Read [ More Talcum Powder Lawsuits Filed as Woman Awarded $70 Million ]
November 10, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Portland, OR: The anti-psychotic drug Abilify may be good for casinos and credit card companies, but it may not even benefit those people who have schizophrenia—a disorder it was originally approved to treat.Read [ Abilify Good for Casinos and Credit Card Companies, but for Humans? ]
August 22, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Portland, OR: They're the pills millions of people use to treat symptoms of acid reflux, but in addition to being linked to serious side effects, proton pump inhibitors may also be linked to health problems when people discontinue the medications. Studies suggest proton pump inhibitors (known also as PPIs), are linked to an increased risk of bone fractures, heart attacks, and kidney disease. Concerns have also been raised, however, that when patients discontinue their use of PPIs, they suffer more serious heartburn symptoms.Read [ Stomaching the Side Effects of Proton Pump Inhibitors ]
August 21, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Beaverton, OR: He’s 65, a father, a grandfather and a few years into his retirement, looking toward his twilight years that statistically should number about 17. That translates into a life expectancy that would take him into his early eighties. But it has not worked out that way for David Hoff, a resident of Beaverton, Oregon. Hoff is living with a diagnosis of Mesothelioma. He’ll be lucky if he sees 67, as opposed to 82.Read [ Mesothelioma Victim Awarded $8.75 Million Has Only Months to Live ]
- California Files Securities Lawsuit against Morgan Stanley By Heidi Turner (Apr-15-16)
- Chipotle Faces Securities Lawsuit, among Others By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-16)
- When a Car Recall Leads to a Securities Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Nov-14-15)
- FINRA Orders UBS to Pay Almost $3M By Heidi Turner (Sep-10-15)
- FINRA Awards Couple $16.6 Million By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-15)
- SEC Files Securities Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-7-15)
- Portland Truck Plant Subject of Oregon Employment Lawsuits Over Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-15)
- FINRA Fines Increased in 2014 By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-15)
- Oregon Requires Insurers to Cover Autism Therapy By Heidi Turner (Dec-22-14)
- Oregon LTD Insurance Woes Are a Day in the Life of Insurance Frustration By Gordon Gibb (Nov-19-14)
- Oregon Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-14)
- Oregon and Oracle Trading Lawsuits Over Cover Oregon Website By Gordon Gibb (Sep-19-14)
- Oregon Long-Term Disability Denials By Heidi Turner (Aug-7-14)
- Oregon Reaches $4M Settlement with DePuy Over Defective Artificial Hips By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-18-14)
- How Disability Insurance Works with ERISA: Disability Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-14)
- More Stores Affected in Target Data Breach; Lawsuits Investigated By Heidi Turner (Jan-19-14)
- Securities Lawyer: Securities Fraud Happens Every Day By Heidi Turner (Nov-12-13)
- Securities Lawsuit Could Affect Future Securities Fraud Claims By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-13)
- Drug Company Settles Securities Lawsuit for $40 Million By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-13)
- Bank of America Faces Securities Fraud Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-11-13)
- Oregon Labor Rules Better Than Most, but Complaints Remain By Gordon Gibb (Jul-5-13)
- Citigroup Settles Securities Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jun-22-13)
- Misleading Statements in Securities Fraud By Heidi Turner (May-25-13)
- Bank of America Will Pay $165 Million to Settle Securities Complaints By Heidi Turner (Apr-18-13)
- Morgan Keegan Settlement “Not Fair,” Says Attorney By Brenda Craig (Apr-12-13)
- Amgen Securities Lawsuit Allowed to Continue By Heidi Turner (Mar-15-13)
- S&P Accused of Securities Fraud By Heidi Turner (Feb-23-13)
- Securities Fraud Focus Shifting to Individual Responsibility By Heidi Turner (Jan-22-13)
- REIT Unsuitability Violations: Interview with Attorney Christopher Gray By Heidi Turner (Jan-11-13)
- Mortgage-Backed Securities Result in Lawsuit Against JPMorgan By Heidi Turner (Dec-21-12)
- Brain Injury Victim Learning from Scratch By Jane Mundy (Dec-7-12)
- Securities Lawsuit Filed Against Wells Fargo By Heidi Turner (Nov-18-12)
- JPMorgan Faces Securities Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Oct-22-12)
- Citigroup Securities Lawsuit Settled By Heidi Turner (Sep-22-12)
- Former Football Coach Charged With Ponzi Scheme By Heidi Turner (Aug-18-12)
- Bank of America Securities Lawsuit to Proceed By Heidi Turner (Jul-14-12)
- Facebook-Related Securities Lawsuits Growing By Heidi Turner (Jun-15-12)
- Two Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Victims Win Denied Disability Insurance Appeal By Jane Mundy (May-31-12)
- Chantix Update: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly By Gordon Gibb (May-14-12)
- Groupon Faces Class-Action Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Apr-12-12)