LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Illinois Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC The Department of Justice announced that Kmart Corporation has agreed to pay $32.3 million ($59 million including state law issues) to settle a lawsuit that claims in-store pharmacies overbilled Medicare Part D, Medicaid, and TRICARE. The healthcare fraud scheme, which a Kmart pharmacist stumbled upon only when he had his own prescription filled, allegedly affected drug reimbursements in 46 states. The pharmacist was awarded $9.3 million under the whistleblower qui-tam provisions of the False Claims Act (FCA).Read [ Kmart settles healthcare fraud lawsuit for $32.3 million ]
January 16, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Seattle, WA: Amazon and Jungle Trux, based in King County, WA, have started the new year facing an unpaid overtime and employment class action lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed by two package delivery drivers who allege Jungle Trux and Amazon failed to pay them overtime, undercounted their hours, and failed to provide them with required breaks.Read [ Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks ]
January 1, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Cleveland, OH:Across the U.S., city and county newspapers looking back on 2017 say the top news story was the opioid crisis. And opioid litigation already looks like it will dominate legal news in 2018.Read [ Opioid Epidemic Biggest News Story in 2017, Opioid Litigation May be Biggest Legal News in 2018 ]
December 24, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: Chicago may be far removed from Alaska geographically, but Illinois serves as home base for a proposed St. Jude class action lawsuit brought by an Alaskan union-benefits fund against St. Jude manufacturer Abbott Laboratories (Abbott).Read [ Alaskan Health Insurer Sues Abbott / St. Jude over Defective ICD Batteries ]
“Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group
December 5, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Moline, IL: To give some idea of the damage Essure has done, Amanda’s support group—Essure Problems-- has grown from 250 women when she joined to over 35,000 members. “We have physicians visit our Facebook page, telling us they once implanted the device and are now trying to perfect their removal technique,” she says.Read [ “Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group ]
November 8, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Decatur, IL: Litigation involving Essure is taking its toll on Bayer. In less than a year, the permanent birth control device manufacturer has seen lawsuits more than double, and it has been removed from every global market, except in the U.S.Read [ Bayer Reports Spike in Essure Lawsuits and Congress Questions FDA ]
October 9, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: The second bellwether testosterone lawsuit in testosterone multidistrict litigation ended in similar fashion to the first: a sizeable punitive damages award, together with a jury finding that defendant AbbVie Inc. was not liable for heart issues suffered by the plaintiffs in the respective trials.Read [ Second Testosterone Bellwether Lawsuit Wraps in Illinois ]
September 23, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Madison, WI: The basket of Monsanto Roundup lawsuits has grown, with another class action launched June 20 of this year in Wisconsin (Blitz et al. v. Monsanto Company et al., Case No. 3:17-cv-00473, United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin). In this most recent claim, plaintiffs from Wisconsin, Illinois, California, New York, New Jersey and Florida assert that the product is marketed in a false and misleading manner.Read [ Recent Monsanto Roundup Lawsuit Targets Alleged Marketing Violations ]
September 22, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Seattle, WA A Health Benefit Trust that covers Alaskan State Employees is the lead plaintiff in a class action lawsuit against St. Jude’s Medical and Abbott Laboratories seeking compensation for costs related to defective lithium battery powered implantable cardiac defibrillators.Read [ Insurers Seek Compensation from St. Jude’s Medical in Class Action Lawsuit ]
September 5, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: The makers of a testosterone supplement that only carries FDA approval for hypogonadism (severely depleted testosterone) but nonetheless has been heavily marketed to treat a largely manufactured disease, won their day in court at the end of last month when a jury in state court found in favor of AndroGel manufacturer AbbVie. The decision translates to a loss for the plaintiff, who alleged in his testosterone lawsuit that his heart attack was associated with his use of AndroGel.Read [ Testosterone Lawsuits Begin, Outcomes Split ]
- Plaintiff Goes After Kohl’s With Proposed Class Action TCPA Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-2-17)
- Monsanto to Merge with Bayer, While Still Facing Hurdles By Gordon Gibb (Aug-7-17)
- Duality Observed in Illinois Cause for Confusion, but Plaintiff Benefits Nonetheless By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-17)
- Not-Ready-for-Market Herbicide Kills Farmers’ Crops By Brenda Craig (Jul-26-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Illinois Fights Opioid Crisis with Class Action Suit By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-17)
- For Comenity Bank, TCPA Violation Lawsuit Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jul-7-17)
- Eli Lilly & Co. Testosterone Bellwether Trials Scheduled for 2018 By Gordon Gibb (Jul-4-17)
- Party Animal “Cocolicious” Dog Food Subject of Class Action By Brenda Craig (Jul-1-17)
- Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-17)
- Illinois Plaintiff Launches TCPA Robocall Lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-17)
- Additional Plaintiffs Join Bravelle Class Action By Deb Hipp (May-15-17)
- Man Ejected from United Airlines Seat Prepares to Sue By Brenda Craig (Apr-18-17)
- Another New Study Links Hair-Loss Treatment Propecia to Sexual Dysfunction By Deb Hipp (Apr-13-17)
- Federal Judge Extends Deadline to Add Parties to Bravelle Class Action By Deb Hipp (Mar-15-17)
- Eliquis Lawsuits Moving Forward in MDL, Venue Still to be Determined By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-17)
- While FDA Suggests Potential for Testosterone Abuse, Health Canada Takes a Pass By Gordon Gibb (Feb-26-17)
- Federal Judge Dismisses Bravelle Lawsuit in Unusual Removal Situation By Deb Hipp (Feb-14-17)
- Testosterone Defendant Attempts to Limit Scope of Expert Witness By Gordon Gibb (Jan-24-17)
- A Renewed Shot at Justice for Bravelle Infertility Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Jan-16-17)
- Bair Hugger Lawsuits Keep Coming, Class Actions in US and Canada By Gordon Gibb (Jan-13-17)
- Family Donates to University in Memory of Stevens Johnson Syndrome Victim By Heidi Turner (Jan-12-17)
- Plaintiffs Celebrate Invokana Lawsuit Consolidation By Heidi Turner (Jan-3-17)
- 2017 Could Be a Big Year for Bravelle Litigation By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-16)
- Essure Injury Lawsuits Moving Forward By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-16)
- Judicial Panel Considers Consolidating Invokana Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-16)
- Hope For Patients With IVC Filter? By Heidi Turner (Dec-5-16)
- Bravelle Infertility Class Action Lawsuit Going Forward on Negligence Claims By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-16)
- Good News for Essure Plaintiffs By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-16)
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Lawsuit Filed Against Johnson & Johnson, Wal-Mart By Heidi Turner (Nov-5-16)
- Bravelle Lawsuit Survives Motion to Dismiss By Heidi Turner (Oct-26-16)
- Belgian AndroGel Manufacturer Attempts to Duck Testosterone Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-16)
- Force Placed Insurance is a Forced Relationship of the Worst Kind By Gordon Gibb (Oct-11-16)
- Many Talcum Powder Lawsuit Plaintiffs May Not Survive to See Their Day in By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-16)
- Massive Yahoo Data Breach Revealed, Class Actions Pop Up Next Day By Gordon Gibb (Sep-28-16)
- Victims of State-Sponsored Terrorism Can Sue, and Now They Can be Paid By Gordon Gibb (Sep-27-16)
- Testosterone Bellwether Trials Chosen By Heidi Turner (Sep-1-16)
- Lyrica Studies Indicate Possible Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Aug-22-16)
- Talcum Powder Lawsuits Increase By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-16)
- Health Canada Knows All About Potential for Actos and Bladder Cancer By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-16)