LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Florida Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 17, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Oklahoma City, OK: With the revelation earlier this year that yet another victim of Takata airbag injuries had died, it’s instructive to look back at the case of Ashley Parham, widely believed as the first known victim of a defective airbag in 2009.Read [ Defective Airbag Deaths and Injuries Continue ]
Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"?
February 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Tampa, FL: Attorney Ben Stewart is seeing an increase in hospital overcharging, mostly to uninsured people. "Look carefully at your medical bills. If you have been overcharged and have either started a payment schedule or completed payment, you may be entitled to monetary damages," says Stewart.Read [ Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? ]
February 1, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Holiday, FL: Airbags were originally designed to help prevent injury and death, not cause them. However, the debacle that is the Takata airbag recall– the largest automotive recall in US history – continues to cause sometimes horrific airbag injuries, and on occasion airbag deaths.Read [ And Now There Are 21 Takata Airbag Deaths ]
January 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Miami, FL: Yesterday, The U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) heard from Onglyza and Kombiglyze patients regarding whether to consolidate all federally-filed cases before one court for pre-trial proceedings.Read [ Onglyza Litigation Ramps Up ]
January 26, 2018. By LAS Staff Writer.
Miami, FL (January 24, 2018) A Florida judge signed an order today holding creditor, IH5 Property Florida LP with GP IH5 Borrower GP LLC, more commonly known as Invitation Homes, in contempt of court for intentional violation of the automatic stay. Miami bankruptcy attorney, Timothy S. Kingcade’s client filed a Chapter 7 petition on November 30, 2017. Despite having notice of the bankruptcy filing, on December 5, 2017, the creditor, Invitation Homes, proceeded to file an eviction action against the client. Attorney Kingcade filed a motion to hold the landlord in contempt of court for violating the automatic stay. The motion adequately showed that Isamar Alers of Invitation Homes had actual knowledge of the bankruptcy on November 30.Read [ Creditor Held in Contempt of Court for Violating Automatic Stay ]
January 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Orlando, FL:At the beginning of last year, Takata—the automotive parts company behind the largest automotive recall in the nation’s history—entered into a plea agreement with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). The company then declared bankruptcy a few months later, setting off an avalanche of legal filings throughout the world, with an international corporate restructuring effort continuing to this day. “It’s critical to remember that as this process plays out, consumers have and will continue to be hurt and killed by rupturing airbags,” says attorney Frank Melton of Newsome Melton, PA.Read [ The Future of Takata Airbag Claims ]
December 29, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Tampa, FL: The pain started right after Sandra had a Smith & Nephew knee replacement. “It never functioned properly and I never did get back a full range of motion like I was told,” says Sandra. “I had this metal-on-metal knee implant because my knee was bone-on-bone. This knee implant was supposed to make me better, not worse.”Read [ Knee Replacement Recipient is “Done with Surgeries” ]
December 8, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Tampa, FL: It did not take long for Kathleen Siwicki to notice something was very wrong in the Florida cardiologist’s office where she was working. Siwicki, an experienced Certified Cardiovascular Technologist, immediately began to see the services the doctor was providing did not match the billing statements he was submitting for payment. In November 2014, after just six months working for Dr. Arthur Portnow she quit her job and shortly after filed an action under the False Claims Act.Read [ Healthcare Whistle Blower Awarded $351,000 ]
November 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Ocala, FL: A Florida premises liability lawsuit that stemmed from a slip and fall incident in 2011 came down to the weight of the evidence, together with the legal definition of the plaintiff as a visitor to the premises – an issue that had a bearing on the unsuccessful bid to have the finding of a lower court stayed, and a petition for a new trial denied.Read [ Florida Premises Liability Case Comes Down to Rule of Law ]
November 22, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Miami, FL Two-year old Samantha Gonzalez was grievously burned in 2015, when her grandmother’s Tristar “As Seen on TV” pressure cooker malfunctioned. The damage will last as long as Samantha lives. Exploding pressure cooker injuries have been the source of many lawsuits. But this is not the kind of case that leads to a tidy legal resolution. Like life, it’s messy.Read [ Toddler Loses Leg and all her Fingers in Pressure Cooker Explosion ]
- Six Sue Tristar for Exploding Pressure Cooker Injuries By Anne Wallace (Oct-29-17)
- Between Slips, Falls and Dog Bites, Consumers Need to be Wary By Gordon Gibb (Oct-24-17)
- Airbag Attorney Urges Everyone to Check their Vehicles—You May Be in Danger By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-17)
- Opioid Epidemic Lawsuits Filed Nationwide while Big Pharma Makes Big Profits By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- Florida Man Died from his Airbag Injuries in 2016 By Gordon Gibb (Sep-7-17)
- Snakebite Victim Waits While Insurance Companies Duke it Out in Court By Gordon Gibb (Aug-28-17)
- Qualified Attorney Important for Florida Workers’ Compensation Claims By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-17)
- Recycled Defective Airbags Akin to ‘Ticking Time Bombs’ By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-17)
- Florida Plaintiff Resolves Citibank Nuisance Call Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- Widower of Homicide Victim Alleges Florida Premises Liability By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-17)
- Automakers Agree to Compensate Takata Airbag Recall Consumers By Deb Hipp (Jul-15-17)
- Woman Burned When Pressure Cooker Explodes By Deb Hipp (Jun-27-17)
- Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit Results in Jury Award for Burn Victim By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-17)
- Plaintiff Files Proposed Class Action Lawsuit over Nuisance Bank Robocalls By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-17)
- The Growing Concern over Recalled Airbags in Used Car Repairs By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-17)
- Bank Allegedly Robocalls Man More Than 125 Times to Collect a Debt By Deb Hipp (May-31-17)
- Claims of Pressure Cooker Explosion Injuries May Prompt Lawsuits By Deb Hipp (May-1-17)
- Hilton Hotel Accused of Swiping Staff Tips By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-17)
- Wells Fargo’s Pursuit of Arbitration a Waste of Resources: Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Victim Has Permanent Scarring in her Mouth By Gordon Gibb (Apr-17-17)
- Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit Claims Excessive Traffic in Government Office By Gordon Gibb (Apr-10-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- The Added Cost of Abilify By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-17)
- Takata Airbag Injury Plaintiff Almost Lost an Ear, Could Have Been Worse By Gordon Gibb (Apr-1-17)
- Partial Victory for Fan in Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit against Daytona Speedway By Gordon Gibb (Mar-18-17)
- Minor League Baseball Players' Overtime Class Action Back in Play By Deb Hipp (Mar-11-17)
- Plaintiffs Allege Exploding Pressure Cooker Injuries from Tristar Product By Gordon Gibb (Mar-8-17)
- Abilify Makes Headlines By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-17)
- Auto Manufacturers Claim to be Takata Airbag Victims By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-17)
- Eliquis Lawsuits Moving Forward in MDL, Venue Still to be Determined By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-17)
- IVC Filter Recipient Walking Time Bomb? By Jane Mundy (Feb-25-17)
- Contractor to US Government Cited for Equal Pay Violations, Settles for $1.2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-17)
- Don’t Lie to Super Jury Consultant Susan Constantine By Brenda Craig (Feb-23-17)
- Business Owners Liable for Crimes against Customers on their Premises By Brenda Craig (Feb-18-17)
- A Tangle of Hernia Mesh Complaints By Jane Mundy (Jan-15-17)
- Attorney Anticipates Surgical Mesh and Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits Similar in Volume By Jane Mundy (Jan-11-17)
- Abilify Gamblers, from Teens to Retirees By Jane Mundy (Jan-8-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)