The Times-Tribune (11/26/14) reports that Pedro Arce, Jr. was only six years old when he died after months of medical care and treatment. According to the report, he was taken to Moses Taylor Hospital on January 29, 2013, with a fever, cough and a sore throat. He was reportedly misdiagnosed and prescribed the wrong medication.
On April 10, 2013, the boy died at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. An autopsy showed that the boy had Stevens Johnson Syndrome, pneumonia and organ failure. The boy’s parents, Amaris Ramos and Pedro Arce, filed a lawsuit against the defendants alleging that their negligence resulted in the young boy’s death.
Meanwhile, a lawsuit has also been filed against a doctor in Waco, alleging the doctor’s medical malpractice caused a patient to die from sepsis linked to his Stevens Johnson Syndrome. Mildred Slaughter’s brother, Harold Hutchinson, died in August 2011 at age 78 after he took Bactrim for a bacterial infection. The Waco Tribune-Herald reports Hutchinson then developed Stevens Johnson Syndrome in reaction to taking the medication.
An attorney for the doctor said Hutchinson had diabetes, problems with his prostate and other medical conditions, and that the doctor’s actions did not cause Hutchinson’s death. The doctor also reportedly testified that he had last prescribed Bactrim for the patient six months before Hutchinson was hospitalized, not 10 days before.
READ MORE STEVENS JOHNSON SYNDROME (SJS) LEGAL NEWS
In addition to lawsuits filed against drugmakers, some lawsuits are filed against doctors or medical centers alleging that they failed to properly diagnose patients with Stevens Johnson Syndrome, resulting in serious injury or death.