LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Paxil Birth Defects Legal News Articles & Interviews
April 20, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Weighing the Pros and Cons of Paxil ]
Miami, FL It is well known that certain chemicals affect a fetus, which is why pregnant women are discouraged from smoking or drinking. What is less certain, however, is what effect antidepressant use during pregnancy has on the fetus and what the risk of Paxil birth defects or Paxil side effects in the infant is. Paxil lawsuits were filed, and many have reportedly been settled, but the science—and the US Food and Drug Administration's stance on the issue—is more complicated.
March 30, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ More Possible Paxil Side Effects Come to Light ]
Dallas, TX For women with depression who are also pregnant, there may be no easy answer to the question of whether or not to risk Paxil side effects by taking the antidepressant while pregnant. Although some studies indicate a risk of Paxil birth defects, including Paxil PPHN (persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn), there is also a risk of having untreated depression while pregnant, and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently revised its stance on antidepressant use during pregnancy.
January 28, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Paxil Side Effects the Ultimate Catch 22 ]
New York, NY Paxil appears to be among those drugs that might qualify under "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't" status. Paxil side effects are many and varied, serving as a trigger for many a Paxil lawsuit. And yet, in spite of continued warnings by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that link the antidepressant to such adverse reactions as birth defects, proponents continue to sing its praises and the debate continues…
December 21, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ FDA Issues Information about Reported Paxil Side Effects ]
Washington, DC The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has once again issued information about Paxil side effects and the side effects of similar antidepressants, although the new information says that studies about antidepressant use during pregnancy are contradictory. Some studies suggest an increased risk of Paxil birth defects and Paxil heart defects when expectant mothers use Paxil and other Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) but others have not found such a link.
December 13, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Coming Out from the Shadow of Paxil Birth Defects ]
Washington, DC Anyone sitting on the fence over whether or not to go after GlaxoSmithKline (Glaxo) over Paxil side effects need only contemplate the reported $3 billion that Glaxo has agreed in principal to pay, in order to settle charges of off-label marketing and fraud.
November 26, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ GlaxoSmithKline to Pay $3 Billion to Settle Paxil, Avandia Investigations ]
Washington, DC GlaxoSmithKline, maker of Paxil and Avandia is reportedly set to pay approximately $3 billion to settle investigations into the company's marketing of certain drugs. Among allegations are that the company marketed drugs for unapproved uses and hid the risk of Paxil side effects. GlaxoSmithKline has faced many lawsuits in recent years regarding Paxil side effects, including lawsuits alleging Paxil birth defects.
October 20, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Paxil Birth Defects Lawsuits Growing ]
Washington, DC Given the facts that one in 10 women will suffer from depression during her pregnancy or the postpartum period, that the antidepressant drug Paxil sales reached $1 billion in 2007, and Paxil has been linked to birth defects, it's no wonder that Paxil birth defects lawsuits are growing.
October 5, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Study Suggests Lexapro Side Effects May Include Increased Bleeding ]
Montreal, Quebec A new study found that heart attack patients who take both selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants and antiplatelet drugs could have a higher risk for bleeding, highlighting some of the potential Lexapro side effects, according to HealthDay.
September 24, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Weighing the Benefits and Risks of Lexapro Birth Defects ]
Las Vegas, NV Since at least 2009, research has shown that all SSRIs—and that includes Lexapro—put developing infants at risk for a wide range of birth defects and serious illnesses after birth. Lexapro is now considered a pregnancy Category C medication, meaning the antidepressant may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Yet it takes some searching on the manufacturer's website to find any Lexapro birth defect warnings.
September 13, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Judge Rules Against GlaxoSmithKline in Paxil Birth Defects Lawsuit ]
Vancouver, BC The United States is not the only place where GlaxoSmithKline faces lawsuits alleging Paxil birth defects. A lawsuit has also been filed in Canada, alleging Paxil side effects harmed infants exposed to the antidepressant while in the womb. The judge in the lawsuit has now issued a decision against GlaxoSmithKline, possibly paving the way for other women to join the pending Paxil class action.
- GlaxoSmithKline Settles for $41 Million in Paxil Manufacturing Case By Charles Benson (Jun-28-11)
- Scientist Seeks Study on Paxil Side Effects Like Breast Cancer By Charles Benson (Apr-26-11)
- Natural Depression Treatment Could Help Avoid Paxil Birth Defects By Charles Benson (Mar-22-11)
- With Paxil Birth Defects Trials on the Horizon, Drugmaker Cuts Jobs By Charles Benson (Feb-22-11)
- Vermont to Receive $136,000 Settlement in Paxil Side Effects Case By Charles Benson (Jan-29-11)
- Paxil Suit Is Still On! By Brenda Craig (Dec-24-10)
- Yale Medical Professor Accused of Ghostwriting Paxil Side Effects Study By Charles Benson (Dec-14-10)
- Paxil Birth Defect Trial Tossed Out of Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-10)
- Report: Paxil, Other Drugs May Be Responsible for High Army Suicide Rate By Charles Benson (Nov-9-10)
- GlaxoSmithKline to Pay $750 Million to Settle Paxil Allegations By Heidi Turner (Oct-31-10)
- Doctor: Paxil "Especially Notorious" for Causing Withdrawal By Charles Benson (Oct-9-10)
- Paxil Alleged to Have Role in Teen's Suicide By Gordon Gibb (Sep-23-10)
- Average Paxil Birth Defect Settlement $1.2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Aug-28-10)
- Glaxo Reportedly Settles Paxil Birth Defects Lawsuits for $1 Billion By Charles Benson (Aug-8-10)
- Paxil Manufacturer Expects Legal Charge of $2.4 Billion By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-10)
- GSK Settles 200 Paxil Lawsuits Alleging Birth Defects By Lucy Campbell (Jun-23-10)
- Paxil Linked to Risk of Miscarriage By Heidi Turner (Jun-15-10)
- Miscarriage Now Listed Among Paxil Side Effects By Charles Benson (Jun-6-10)
- New Magnetic Therapy for Depression Could Help Reduce Paxil Birth Defects By Charles Benson (May-7-10)
- GSK to Pay $2.5 Million to Family in Birth Defects Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Oct-13-09)
- Paxil Birth Defects – The Never-Ending Vigil By Lucy Campbell (Mar-22-09)
- Kate Gillespie: Preparing for the Battle Over Paxil and Birth Defects By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-08)
- Paxil Claims a Short Life By Jane Mundy (May-15-07)
- Groups Warn against taking Paxil while Pregnant By Heidi Turner (May-13-07)
- Paxil, Birth Defects and Autism By Jane Mundy (May-11-07)
- Paxil Caused PPHN, Grief and Guilt By Jane Mundy (May-7-07)
- Judge Approves Final Terms of Improved National Pediatric Paxil Class Action Settlement - Consumers Get a Better Deal (Apr-27-07)
- An interview with Paxil Lawyer Karen Barth Menzies By Jane Mundy (Apr-15-07)
- Paxil Birth Defects - Mothers Must Consider the Risks By Heidi Turner (Apr-4-07)
- The Anguish Caused by Paxil By Jane Mundy (Mar-17-07)
- Paxil's Deadly Side Effect By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-07)
- Paxil Makers Face Lawsuits Related to PPHN and Other Birth Defects By Heidi Turner (Feb-19-07)
- Paxil and PPHN: The risk of Birth Defects versus the risk of Depression By Heidi Turner (Feb-6-07)
- Paxil Delivers Guilt along with Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Jan-4-07)
- Paxil was thought to be Safe By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-06)
- Paxil Blamed for Broken Heart By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-06)
- Five Children Born with Severe Heart Defects after Moms take Paxil By Baum Hedlund (Dec-6-06)
- Glaxo Writing Checks Left and Right to Settle Paxil Legal Battles By Evelyn Pringle (Dec-3-06)
- Paxil: A Fatal Link to Coronary Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Nov-17-06)
- Paxil, Pregnancy and Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Nov-9-06)