LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Surgical Mesh Legal News Articles & Interviews
November 11, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Hernia Mesh Lawsuits Tangled in Delays ]
Concord, MA Hernia mesh lawsuits filed against three medical device manufacturers have been delayed mainly because of the coronavirus pandemic, and bellwether trials have been delayed a few times already. Nearly 15,000 hernia mesh claims pending in the federal court system have been consolidated in three multi-district litigations (MDLs).
October 18, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ C.R. Bard Hernia Mesh Trial Gets the Green Light ]
Santa Clara, CA Federal hernia mesh lawsuits filed against C.R. Bard are proceeding with the first bellwhether trial scheduled for January 2021 (it was postponed due to COVID), despite numerous efforts by the medical device maker to have the case dismissed. This trial may well indicate the future of hernia mesh litigation and significantly impact up to 10,000 pending hernia mesh cases.
September 12, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ What’s Next for Ethicon Hernia Mesh Lawsuits? ]
Atlanta, GA Judge Richard W. Story has now identified ten bellwether Ethicon Physiomesh lawsuits that will likely shape the multidistrict litigation pending in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia. Trials in these hernia mesh lawsuits are now scheduled to begin in April 2020. But there will be plenty to watch even before opening statements begin.
June 17, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ $80 Million Verdict in Ethicon Prolift Pelvic Mesh Lawsuit ]
Philadelphia, PA On May 17, a jury returned an $80 million verdict for Patricia and George Mesigian in their surgical mesh lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Ethicon. The award included $50 million in punitive damages and a record-setting $30 million in compensatory damages.
May 22, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The FDA Pulls (Most) Vaginal Mesh Products off the Market – Now What? ]
Philadelphia, PA: The FDA has finally ordered the last two medical device companies selling transvaginal mesh products to pull them from the market. The agency said it is “committed to patient safety” but hundreds of thousands of women –victims of surgical mesh--would disagree. And the lawsuits are still pouring in.
Abdominal Mesh Victim Prescribed Oxycontin--Could the Pain have been Avoided if Medical Devices were Tested?
April 10, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Tallahassee, FL: Shirley had abdominal mesh implanted following the resection of colon cancer. That was in 2008 and she has been in debilitating pain ever since. And taking Oxycodone to numb the crippling abdominal pain not only resulted in an addiction to opioids; she had to give up her job as a federal prison officer. Wait, it gets worse: her surgeon said all the mesh cannot be removed because it has eroded into her bowel.Read [ Abdominal Mesh Victim Prescribed Oxycontin--Could the Pain have been Avoided if Medical Devices were Tested? ]
March 13, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Multidistrict Surgical Mesh Lawsuit Awards and Settlements Approach $11 Billion ]
Charleston, WV As the nation’s largest mass tort product liability lawsuit winds to a close, those who have suffered from surgical mesh complications and their attorneys are pausing to take stock. Not everyone is happy.
March 30, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: Plaintiff Sharon Smith would be understandably buoyed by news that the surgical mesh lawsuit file currently housed in multi-district litigation in Georgia is moving forward, with the first bellwether trials expected for September of next year. While nearly 500 lawsuits are currently housed in the MDL, a continuing barrage of cases have lead observers to believe that thousands of lawsuits could wind up in the MDL by the time bellwether cases begin in 18 months’ time.Read [ Ethicon Physiomesh Bellwether Trials to Start in September, 2019 ]
February 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Raleigh, NC: Daniel complained to his surgeon time and again about pain and swelling from his abdominal surgical mesh used to repair a hernia back in 2015, but he was told it was simply the "healing process" and that "time would heal". But how long does the healing take? In Daniel's case, time was not on his side.Read [ Hernia Mesh a Helluva Mess ]
February 15, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: The Johnson & Johnson Ethicon surgical mesh lawsuits just keep on coming. On January 19, 2018, Sharon Smith filed a new Hernia Mesh lawsuit in the US District Court for the Central District of California.Read [ California Woman Slams J&J, Ethicon with 7-Count Physiomesh Lawsuit ]
- Ethicon Physiomesh Plaintiff Starts New Year with Hernia Mesh Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-18-18)
- Two Arguments to Watch in Physiomesh Bellwether Trials By Anne Wallace (Dec-18-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Victim calls Implant the “Alien Thing” By Jane Mundy (Nov-18-17)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Lawsuit Alleges Defective Product By Gordon Gibb (Nov-16-17)
- Texas Plaintiff Joins Flood of Lawsuits Citing Ethicon Physiomesh Problems By Gordon Gibb (Nov-4-17)
- Court Documents Reveals J&J Transvaginal Mesh Marketed Ahead of Competitors “Priceless”, Causing Outrage Overseas By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-17)
- Is Abdominal Mesh Overused? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-14-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh “Like Being Cut with a Cheese Wire” By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-17)
- Victim told Transvaginal Mesh would make her “Feel like a 16-year-old Virgin” By Jane Mundy (Sep-26-17)
- Surgical Mesh Manufacturer to Appeal Revival of Mesh Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-14-17)
- Irish TVM Manufacturer Announces Settlement Pool worth $775 Million By Gordon Gibb (Sep-13-17)
- “The More I Find Out about this Hernia Mesh, the Angrier I Get, “ says Surgical Mesh Victim By Jane Mundy (Aug-29-17)
- Pain from Surgical Mesh Complications Dropped Physiomesh Patient “To My Knees” By Gordon Gibb (Aug-12-17)
- Defense Win in Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Reversed By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Abdominal Mesh Agony and Advice By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-17)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Withdrawn from Market, Never Formally Recalled By Gordon Gibb (Jul-17-17)
- Prolift Transvaginal Mesh Introduced Without FDA Pre-Market Clearance: Report By Gordon Gibb (Jul-1-17)
- Canadians Miffed at Failed Physiomesh Approved Under FDA 510(k) Clearance By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-17)
- Abdominal Mesh Complaints Rise in Canada, MDL Established in the US By Jane Mundy (Jun-17-17)
- Woman Awarded $2.1M in Fourth Pelvic Mesh Trial By Lucy Campbell (Jun-15-17)
- Heartbreaking Stories Abound Surrounding Surgical Mesh By Gordon Gibb (Jun-4-17)
- Surgical Mesh Lawsuit Nets $2.16 Million for Pen Argyl Plaintiff By Gordon Gibb (May-28-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Tossed on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (May-15-17)
- $20M Verdict Awarded in Third Ethicon TVT Mesh Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (May-15-17)
- Canada Concerned about Abdominal Hernia Mesh—and the 501k Process By Jane Mundy (May-8-17)
- Complicated TVM Mesh Lawsuit Settles By Gordon Gibb (Apr-27-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Global Roundup: Sensational, Scandal and Settlement By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-17)
- Abdominal Mesh Recipient has More Pain after Hernia Surgery By Jane Mundy (Apr-7-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Victim Speaks Candidly about Sex Problems By Jane Mundy (Mar-25-17)
- Two Recent Surgical Mesh Lawsuits Assert Ethicon Physiomesh is Defective By Gordon Gibb (Mar-15-17)
- First Physiomesh Hernia Mesh Lawsuit Slated for Trial – and More Mesh Complications By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-17)
- Canadian Transvaginal Mesh Class Action By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-17)
- Plaintiff Claims C-Qur Mesh Biologically Incompatible with Human Tissue By Gordon Gibb (Feb-19-17)
- Hernia Mesh Implants: Risks Outweigh Benefits By Jane Mundy (Feb-5-17)
- Something Fishy Allegedly Going on with Atrium C-QUR Mesh By Gordon Gibb (Jan-28-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation: Positive Start to 2017 By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-17)
- A Tangle of Hernia Mesh Complaints By Jane Mundy (Jan-15-17)
- Attorney Anticipates Surgical Mesh and Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits Similar in Volume By Jane Mundy (Jan-11-17)
- Surgical Mesh Lawsuit to Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Dec-23-16)
- Transvaginal Mesh Complication Increases with Procedures Performed in Tandem By Gordon Gibb (Dec-9-16)