LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Lexapro Birth Defect Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 24, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Depression and Pregnancy Good Combo for Lexapro Sales ]
New York, NY The maker of the popular antidepressant Lexapro lost millions in sales when the drug’s patent expired in early March of 2012. Lexapro brought in $13.8 billion for Forest Laboratories in just one decade - that’s a whole lot of depressed people, including pregnant women, some of whom gave birth to babies with birth defects.
December 23, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ In Lexapro Birth Defects Litigation, Does the Doctor Share the Blame? ]
Washington, DC As we prepare to head into the ninth year since the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first released its safety advisory with regard to Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and their use by pregnant women, pundits will be watching the legal horizon for SSRI birth defect lawsuits scheduled to get underway in 2015. As of October there were about 200 lawsuits alleging SSRI and Lexapro birth defects in multidistrict litigation in Cole County Circuit Court Missouri.
November 25, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Are Opinions Changing Over the Potential for Lexapro Birth Defects? ]
Newark, NJ It will soon be a year since Michigan resident Chandra Shuck launched her Lexapro birth defects lawsuit against Forest Laboratories Inc. (Forest) and H. Lundbeck A/S (Lundbeck). It’s been a lot longer since Shuck held her infant daughter in her arms. The little girl died in the third week of April 2005 after enduring four open heart surgeries in an attempt to correct heart defects. The infant survived just two weeks.
October 17, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Choosing the Victim? Dilemma Over Newborn Birth Defects Continues ]
New York, NY Lia Grainger faces a dilemma shared by many women of child-bearing age who are also taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) for depression: how do you stop taking a needed antidepressant in order to avoid birth defects, in order to avoid the potential for newborn birth defects, while still maintaining your equilibrium?
September 30, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ For Some, Lexapro Side Effects Run Deeper Than Mere Statistics ]
Harrisonburg, VA A Lexapro side effects lawsuit that ended in the granting of summary judgment in favor of the defendant may have dismissed or disproved any claims by the plaintiff for failure to warn. What the decision didn’t do is disprove or cast doubt on the risk for suicide amongst patients prescribed the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).
February 26, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Lexapro Lawsuit Granted Class-Action Status ]
Boston, MA A Lexapro lawsuit arguing Forest Pharmaceuticals misled patients about the risk of Lexapro side effects and Celexa side effects has been granted class-action status. The lawsuit alleges that Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc, maker of Lexapro and Celexa, covered up findings suggesting the antidepressants were not effective in children. Meanwhile, a lawsuit has been filed against Forest Pharmaceuticals alleging Lexapro caused fatal birth defects in a baby who died two weeks after her birth.
January 15, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ A Hope for No Lexapro Birth Defects ]
Hope, ME Dear Mom. It’s not every day your daughter writes you a letter. Especially when you would expect to see me crying because I scraped my knee or catching me before the contents of my runny nose gets all over my hand-knitted sweater. Or when I’m home visiting from university with a mound of laundry in tow.
December 18, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Reversing a Lexapro Birth Defect Not As Easy As Coming Off a Drug ]
Washington, DC Lexapro, an antidepressant within the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) class, has two distinct personalities. For the patient in need of medication to quell anxiety or combat depression, Lexapro has been found to instill debilitating fatigue. And for an expectant mother on Lexapro for depression, the consequences to the developing fetus can result in devastating newborn birth defects.
November 17, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Lexapro Birth Defects Litigation Set for Trial in May ]
Cole County, MO While not particularly active in the headlines of late, Lexapro birth defects is an issue that has nonetheless kept percolating in the shadows, and is poised to make a return to the public conscience with the start of the consolidated Lexapro/Celexa Products Liability Litigation trial in May of next year.
December 30, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Latest Study Suggests Lexapro et al Carry No Benefit For Pregnant Women and Babies ]
Boston, MA While experts agree that attempting a thorough clinical trial into SSRI antidepressants on pregnant women is ethically questionable, researchers continue to search for answers to a long-debated question: are depression patients who become pregnant better off without their antidepressants in an attempt to avoid the possibility of Lexapro birth defects?
- Are Americans Risking Lexapro Birth Defects Needlessly? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-12)
- Study Questions Risk of Lexapro Birth Defects By Heidi Turner (Jun-25-12)
- Lexapro Side Effects May Include Hypertension By Heidi Turner (Mar-22-12)
- Study Suggests Lexapro Side Effects May Include PPHN By Heidi Turner (Feb-3-12)
- Study Ties Antidepressants Such As Lexapro to Autism By Heidi Turner (Oct-28-11)
- Study Suggests Lexapro Side Effects May Include Increased Bleeding By Charles Benson (Oct-5-11)
- Weighing the Benefits and Risks of Lexapro Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Sep-24-11)
- Despite Lexapro Birth Defects, Medication Launched in Japan By Charles Benson (Sep-9-11)
- Does the FDA's Celexa Warning Affect Lexapro? By Heidi Turner (Aug-25-11)
- Use of Antidepressants Increasing despite Lexapro Birth Defects By Charles Benson (Aug-12-11)
- Could Lexapro Side Effects Include Autism? By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-11)
- Lexapro Birth Defects: Talk about Navel-Gazing… By Gordon Gibb (Jul-6-11)
- Lexapro Birth Defects Include PPHN By Charles Benson (Jun-27-11)
- Forest Laboratories Settles Lexapro Marketing Allegations By Charles Benson (Feb-2-11)
- Kentucky Gets Part of Lexapro Settlement By Charles Benson (Oct-28-10)
- Lexapro One of Many Medications Cited for Links to Newborn Birth Defects By Charles Benson (May-26-10)
- Doctors Warn of the Risk of Lexapro Birth Defects By Charles Benson (May-16-10)
- Treating depression during pregnancy enhances the risk of newborn birth defects By Charles Benson (Nov-17-09)
- Lexapro Legal Problems Mount Against Forest Laboratories By Evelyn Pringle (Nov-15-06)