LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Hospital Excessive Billing Legal News Articles & Interviews
July 21, 2022. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Former Head of Third-Party Billing Company on trial for Health Care Fraud ]
Islip, NY A number of elements go into the calculation of emergency room fees. Apart from the cost of providing care, hospitals must factor in reasonable expectations that some bills will go unpaid and that insurance companies will try to negotiate certain charges down – sometimes because of suspicions of healthcare fraud. The net effect, however, is that patients pay more.
July 5, 2022. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Increased Emergency Room Charges Loom for Patients at Critical Access Hospitals ]
Clear Lake, CA On April 8, the DC Circuit Court, which has jurisdiction over Medicare cases, held that Medicare need not reimburse St. Helena Clear Lake Hospital for the cost of maintaining nonemergency room specialists on call. Without Medicare reimbursement, the cost of maintaining these doctors on call will ultimately be passed along to patients through higher emergency room charges.
April 6, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ More Hospital Overcharges Lawsuits against TeamHealth “Cartel” ]
Baton Rouge, LA No sooner has TeamHealth settled a $15 million class action lawsuit brought by physicians than it’s slammed with another class action claiming inappropriate ER billing and systematic overcharges from its central billing office which is controlled in a “cartel-like manner”.
March 9, 2022. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ UnitedHealthcare Cites Upcoding Fraud in Lawsuit against Emergency Room Staffing Company ]
Knoxville, TN On October 27, 2021, UnitedHealthcare filed a lawsuit against TeamHealth Holdings in the Eastern District of Tennessee. UnitedHealthcare Services v. TeamHealth Holdings, the ER fees lawsuit, charges that TeamHealth routinely overcharged emergency room patients for minor medical needs. UHC, as the administrator for many of those claims, alleges that it overpaid by as much as $100 million. The company claims that TeamHealth’s tactics crossed the line from aggressive profit maximization to outright fraud.
February 23, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The No Surprises Act Not Foolproof ]
Santa Clara, CA The No Surprises Act, that went into effect January 1, 2022 intends to provide protection against surprise medical bills such out-of-network bills for in-network hospitals and services such as an air ambulance ride (not ground ambulance) to an in-network hospital. But don’t be surprised if you get a surprise bill…
December 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ TeamHealth vs. United HealthCare Services ]
Knoxville, TN UnitedHealthcare claims that TeamHealth has submitted fraudulent claims to the insurer, to the tune of more than $100 million. The ER fees lawsuit claims that the emergency room staffing and billing company has been upcoding—using codes to deceive the insurer into overpaying—since 2016.
November 30, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Charged $1,200 for Nosebleed ]
Kansas City, KS Tony woke up late Saturday night with a nosebleed and not knowing what to do, his son drove him to emergency room at St. Lukes South Hospital. When Tony got the bill in the mail he almost had a stroke--a doctor had simply inserted into his nose a cotton ball sprayed with decongestant, which took a few minutes, but he was billed $1,200. There had to be an error.
November 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Physician Billed Exorbitant ER Overcharges ]
San Diego, CA “Not only are these inflated ER overcharges unethical – I don’t understand how medical professionals can charge exorbitant fees for such little work,” says Michael Cutler MD, an urgent care physician. “People were ordering tests before the doctor even came in the door.”
November 12, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patient is Charged ER Fees Without Being Seen ]
Atlanta, GA After waiting in the Emory Decatur Hospital ER for seven hours to treat a head injury, Taylor Davis couldn’t wait any longer and went home. She later received an emergency room bill for $688.35. Are you familiar with the old English proverb that “Children should be seen and not heard”? Here’s a new American phrase: “Patients are charged for not being seen.”
August 18, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patients “Deceived” and “Scammed” by ER Fees ]
Santa Clara, CA Patients treated at ER, sometimes for minor issues, say they aren’t told their insurance is out-of-network and that emergency room fees, including certain tests and procedures, will wind up costing them thousands and thousands of dollars.
- Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim By Jane Mundy (Jul-16-21)
- No Surprises Act to Eliminate ER Overcharges? By Jane Mundy (Jun-15-21)
- Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge By Jane Mundy (May-21-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True By Jane Mundy (Apr-14-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed By Jane Mundy (Apr-1-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-20)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Michigan Patient Billed Over $1,000 for Sitting in the Waiting Room By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-18)
- Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- ER Bills and Hospital Overcharging: It’s Not Getting Any Better By Gordon Gibb (Oct-30-17)
- Don’t Let Unpaid Hospital Bills Ruin Your Life By Brenda Craig (Oct-16-16)