LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Employment Lawyer Interviews
April 27, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Long-Term Disability Attorney Discusses Long-COVID Disability Claims ]
Northridge, CA It’s no surprise that some “long COVID-19” claims are denied by insurance companies: there was even a debate about whether it was real. But long-term disability attorney Brent Dorian Brehm, with Kantor & Kantor LLP has already won “post-COVID-19 syndrome” appeals for his clients. Brehm discusses how best to file a long-COVID LTD claim.
January 20, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ “Do I Have a Firefighting Foam or Contaminated Water Lawsuit?” PFAS Contamination Lawyer Weighs In ]
Houston, TX PFAS contamination lawyer Bill Barfield, with McDonald Worley law firm, says the number of calls they receive about PFAS exposure is on the rise, from individuals worrying that their drinking water is contaminated to first responders exposed to firefighting foam at vehicle accident scenes. “Their first question is, ‘Do I have a claim?’ and their second question is, ‘Where can I get PFAS testing?’” says Barfield.
June 10, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Employment Discrimination, Disability Accommodations and Return to Work after COVID-19 Closures ]
New York, NY Vincent White, a partner at White, Hilferty and Albanese, hears stories like this frequently now:
May 1, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Employment Discrimination based on Perceived Sexual Orientation ]
New York, NY Vincent White, a partner at White, Hilferty and Albanese, spoke recently with LAS about the thorny problem of employment discrimination based on an employer’s perception (or misperception) of an employee’s sexual orientation. The hardest problem, according to White, is that the discriminatory comment or action often happens behind closed doors, with no witnesses. “It’s an elevator situation,” said White. “The doors close; the offense happens; and the doors open with no one the wiser, except the employer and a very shocked employee.”
November 16, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Diego, CA: A class action lawsuit filed in the Superior Court of California alleges Pacific Western Bank failed to correctly calculate overtime wages of the non-exempt hourly workers and failed to provide staff with mandatory meal and rest breaks.Read [ Pacific Western Bank Shorted Workers OT Pay Lawsuit Alleges ]
October 11, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Diego, CA Fear of retaliation can be a major hurdle for workers considering filing a wage and hour lawsuit against their employer. However, a new piece of legislation passed by the state of California, will make it much harder for companies to suddenly terminate employees under those circumstances.Read [ California Workers Get Protection from Employer Retaliation ]
July 29, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Francisco, CA: The big green and white Canteen Vending trucks are a frequent sight across the US and many other states. In California, the company has a huge number of delivery drivers working out of as many as 20 different distribution locations across the state.Read [ Giant Catering Company in California Labor Dispute ]
Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services
July 19, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Oakland, CA: Thousands of security guards are extremely pleased with the outcome of their lawsuit regarding rest breaks, which dragged through the court system for years. “After 12 years, we just received final court approval of our $110 million settlement,” says attorney Scott Cole, adding that he is co-counsel with Drew Pomerance's office on the California labor lawsuit.Read [ Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services ]
July 9, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Oakland, CA: Last month a California labor lawsuit was filed by a former Amazon manager accusing the company of failing to pay him overtime wages because he was misclassified as exempt. “Amazon has the burden to show my client, Michael Ortiz, was properly classified. I have grave doubts it can do that,” says attorney Scott Cole. As well, Cole says that Ortiz has been subjected to “bait and switch”…Read [ Amazon California Labor Lawsuit: Plaintiff’s Attorney Weighs In ]
May 26, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Oakland, CA Legal team representing a 44-year-old African American man who claims he was harassed and discriminated against while working as an assembly line worker at the Tesla car factory in Fremont, California is adding a charge of retaliation to the already long list of claims of violations of the California state labor laws.Read [ Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit ]
- Attorney: Unpaid Wages Violations "Pervasive" By Heidi Turner (Dec-26-16)
- Uber Fallout - A Change in the Law? By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-16)
- Workplace Sexual Harassment Commonplace in California By Jane Mundy (Aug-19-16)
- California Caregivers - Attorney Discusses Whether You Qualify for Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-16)
- With No Settlement in Sight, Attorney Says, “We’re Going to Trial!” By Brenda Craig (Jul-1-16)
- California Labor Law and ADA Compliance Issues: Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (May-25-16)
- Lyft: The Jury’s Still Out By Jane Mundy (Apr-15-16)
- Employment Attorney Predicts Lyft Class-Action Settlement Has Far-Reaching Implications By Jane Mundy (Apr-4-16)
- California Workers Denied Unemployment Benefits Entitled to Appeal By Heidi Turner (Mar-16-16)
- Age Discrimination “Rampant” Says Attorney Lisa Maki By Brenda Craig (Nov-13-15)
- Defamation Argument Serves Fired Workers Best By Brenda Craig (Oct-30-15)
- Fired Worker Gets Half a Million By Brenda Craig (Oct-20-15)
- Rent-A-Center and More California Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Jul-14-15)
- Automatic Clock-Out Spells Potential California Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jun-27-15)
- California Employment Attorney: “Everyone’s Time Is Valuable” By Heidi Turner (Apr-21-15)
- Bullied Microsoft Employee Gave His “Heart and Soul” to the Company By Brenda Craig (May-23-14)
- Gender Harassment in One of the World’s Most Respected Police Forces By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-13)
- Lawyer Spots Sea Change in Wage and Hour Court Battles By Brenda Craig (Mar-29-13)
- Overturning ERISA and the Supreme Court Update By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-13)
- Attorney Says California Overtime Bonus “Miscalculations” are Violations By Jane Mundy (Nov-16-12)
- Overturning ERISA Practice: Public Justice Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Oct-29-12)
- Attorney Explains California Overtime and Inside Sales Employees By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-12)
- Attorney: Employers Regularly Miscalculate California Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Jul-12-12)
- California Labor Law Attorney Answers Five Most Commonly Asked Questions By Jane Mundy (Mar-28-12)
- Denied Social Security Benefits? SSDI Attorney Advises By Jane Mundy (Oct-29-11)
- Can Amazon.com Face Workers' Compensation Lawsuits? By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-11)
- California Labor Law Class Action or Individual Lawsuit? Attorney Explains By Jane Mundy (Sep-22-11)
- Complex Litigator Wins Record Amount in Sexual Harassment Case By Brenda Craig (Jun-15-11)
- "Limo Drivers Eligible for California Overtime," Says Attorney By Jane Mundy (May-24-11)
- Labor Attorney Q&A: Impact of Class Action vs Arbitration Decision for California Employees By Jane Mundy (May-17-11)
- Some Good "Lawyering" Returns $3.3 Million in Harassment Case By Brenda Craig (Apr-21-11)
- Kraft Workers Cheesed Off By Brenda Craig (Apr-2-11)
- Upstate New York Community Launches Fracking Suit By Brenda Craig (Feb-25-11)
- Embarq Yanks Retirees' Benefits By Brenda Craig (Jan-13-11)
- Software Short-Changed Truckers Suit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Nov-14-10)
- Attorney Discusses Best Buy Overtime Settlement By Jane Mundy (Oct-1-10)
- Philadelphia Housing Authority Employees Sue By Brenda Craig (Sep-26-10)
- Florida Employment Law: Employees Should Check into Potential Claims By Heidi Turner (Sep-24-10)
- Edison Discrimination Suit is Déjà Vu All Over Again By Brenda Craig (Jul-31-10)
- A Bad Day at Work for Discrimination By Brenda Craig (Jul-14-10)