LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Effexor Birth Defects Legal News Articles & Interviews
August 22, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Effexor Multidistrict Litigation Created ]
Philadelphia, PA The US Judicial Panel on multidistrict litigation (MDL) has created a multidistrict litigation for lawsuits regarding Effexor side effects. The lawsuits allege infants suffered from so-called Effexor birth defects after being exposed to the antidepressant prior to birth. The Effexor lawsuits have been transferred to the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
July 27, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The Heartbreak of Effexor Birth Defects behind the Headlines ]
Washington, DC There are a number of Effexor side effects that have served to haunt patients prescribed venlafaxine for depression. A Bountiful, Utah man who shot and killed his ex-wife in 2005 and is currently serving a life sentence may have taken Effexor shortly before gunning down Jeneil Bradley. According to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden, Utah (5/1/13), the jury that heard David Edward Drommond Jr.’s case did not hear that the accused succumbed to an episode of manic behavior and how Effexor may have played a role.
May 19, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Antidepressant Use While Pregnant Linked to Autism Risk ]
Seattle, WA Yet another study suggests a risk of birth defects associated with using certain antidepressants while pregnant. Although this study does not examine Effexor birth defects or Effexor side effects in infants, the study does examine antidepressants similar to Effexor.
January 27, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Effexor Son Has Open Heart Surgery at Six Months Old ]
Phoenix, AZ When many mothers take an antidepressant such as Effexor during pregnancy, they do so believing the medication is safe. But when their child is born with heart problems, some might wonder if there is a chance that Effexor side effects have affected their child. Miriam S. says she took Effexor when she was pregnant with her son 10 years ago, but was only told by a doctor last year that her son's heart defects could have been caused by Effexor.
August 27, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Studies Suggest SSRI Side Effects but Do they Extend to Effexor? ]
San Diego, CA Recent studies have suggested that SSRI side effects can affect infants, but questions remain about whether the same is true for Effexor side effects. Effexor is not an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), it is an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), so although there could be a risk of Effexor birth defects similar to those found with SSRI medication, less research has been done on these risks.
May 20, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The Effexor Baby ]
Philadelphia, PA A trial announced in February was believed to be the first Effexor birth defects case to go to trial. However, the loss of a baby girl to plaintiffs Glenn and Lauren Boyer is not the first infant allegedly lost to a lethal ingestion of Effexor by a pregnant woman.
April 30, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ American Academy of Pediatrics Issues Policy Revision on Effexor and SSRIs ]
Washington, DC In January 2012, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy revision regarding neonatal drug withdrawal and specifically mentioning the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) during pregnancy. Effexor, which is an SNRI antidepressant, has been linked to some issues, including such Effexor side effects and Effexor birth defects, when used during pregnancy. Because studies on the risks associated with SSRI use during pregnancy are conflicting, it is up to the individual as to whether or not she should risk the effects of a so-called Effexor pregnancy.
March 9, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Effexor Birth Defect Lawsuit a First ]
Philadelphia, PA An Effexor lawsuit has been launched by an Ohio couple who allege the antidepressant had a role to play in the death of their infant daughter. Glenn and Lauren Boyer allege that the severe Effexor birth defects suffered by their daughter Adelaide, including a malformed aorta and mitral valve, were caused by the Wyeth product.
February 29, 2012. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Effexor Side Effects May Not Include Increased Suicide Risk ]
Chicago, IL Certain antidepressant drugs may not actually raise the suicide risk in young people, a new study says, according to HealthDay News, but there are still Effexor side effects that may affect newborn children.
January 30, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study Links SSRIs to Birth Defects; Are Effexor Side Effects Included? ]
Boston, MA New research suggests that antidepressant use during pregnancy may increase the risk of serious side effects in infants, although whether that risk extends to Effexor side effects is not yet clear. Studies have suggested a risk of Effexor side effects in infants, including developmental delays, but it is not known if the recent study, which examined the effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) medications on newborns, could be extended to Effexor.
- Could Effexor Birth Defects Include Autism? By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-11)
- New Hope for Family Alleging Effexor Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-11)
- Did Effexor Birth Defects Cause Newborn's Death? By Heidi Turner (Oct-15-11)
- Effexor Side Effects Can Include Life-Threatening Syndrome By Charles Benson (Sep-17-11)
- Studies Suggest New Effexor Side Effects By Charles Benson (Aug-4-11)
- The Tragedy of a True Effexor Pregnancy By Gordon Gibb (May-30-11)
- Should Effexor Be Given with Another Antidepressant? By Heidi Turner (May-3-11)
- Could Painkillers Reduce Effexor's Effectiveness? By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-11)
- Did Effexor Help Fuel a Killer? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-11)
- Did Effexor Cause Teacher to Have Sex with Student? By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-11)
- Journalist Feels Daughter's Eating Disorder Caused by Effexor Side Effects By Gordon Gibb (Jan-9-11)
- What Impact Will Paxil Lawsuits Have on Potential Effexor Lawsuits? By Heidi Turner (Dec-3-10)
- Effexor: Women Must Weigh the Risks Against the Benefits By Heidi Turner (Nov-3-10)
- An Informed Consumer is Key to Avoiding Effexor Birth Defects By Gordon Gibb (Oct-4-10)
- Effexor: Was the STAR*D Trial Misleading? By Heidi Turner (Sep-24-10)
- Will Paxil Settlements Affect Potential Effexor Lawsuits? By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-10)
- Effexor Pregnancy is Like Playing Solomon for Patient's Doctor By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-10)
- Side Effects Linked to Antidepressants Such as Effexor: What Can Pregnant Women Do? By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-10)
- New Effexor Generic Approved, Risks Are Similar By Gordon Gibb (Jul-10-10)
- Study Links Effexor to Miscarriage Risk By Heidi Turner (Jun-17-10)
- Antidepressants Linked to Miscarriage, Effexor Implicated By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-10)
- Studies Show Effects of Effexor on Newborns By Heidi Turner (May-26-10)
- Questions about Pristiq and Pregnancy, Potential Risk to Fetus By Gordon Gibb (Apr-29-10)
- Effexor Birth Defects: "Two Hours with Matthew" By Gordon Gibb (Apr-19-10)
- Effexor Linked To Increased Risk of Cataracts By Heidi Turner (Apr-2-10)