LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Defective Hip Implant Legal News Articles & Interviews
June 3, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Johnson & Johnson Resolves Hip Implant Lawsuits for $1 Billion Dollars ]
Dallas, TX: Johnson & Johnson has come up with $1 billion dollars to settle as many as 95 percent of the 6,000 lawsuits filed by patients who needed to have metal-on-metal Pinnacle hip implant devices removed due to severe pain. This amount includes a prior settlement for over $400 million.
February 12, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Johnson & Johnson Settles Deceptive Hip Implant Marketing Lawsuits for $120 Million ]
Washington, DC Johnson & Johnson (“J&J”) has agreed to pay $120 million to the attorneys general of 46 states and Washington, D.C. to settle claims that the company made unfair and deceptive statements in the promotion of its ASR XL and Pinnacle Ultamet hip implant systems. A separate agreement is expected to resolve most of the thousands of consumer-driven defective hip implant lawsuits against J&J and its DePuy unit.
March 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Dallas, TX: The bellwether defective hip implant lawsuits that were tried in the Northern District of Texas as part of multidistrict litigation 2244 have yielded some staggering awards for the plaintiffs. The latest Alice hip failure lawsuit ended with a $247 million award to six plaintiffs. A previous bellwether trial awarded $1.4 billion to a group of six plaintiffs, and another lawsuit ended with a $502 million jury award to five plaintiffs.Read [ The Curious Case of the Disappearing DePuy Damages ]
March 12, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Newark,NJ: Every metal-on-metal hip replacement manufacturer has been accused of defective design, and because there are two or more articulation points where the metal components can grind against each other, some MOM hip replacements, such as those made by Zimmer and Smith & Nephew, allegedly include an increased risk of metallosis. Lawsuits against both companies also claim they knowingly sold the defective hip implants and knew or should have known the devices would cause problems.Read [ Defective Hip Litigation Continues On against Zimmer, Smith & Nephew ]
February 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Southlake, TX: Some DePuy ASR hip replacement patients are having problems finding a surgeon to perform revision surgery. Besides having to deal with a defective medical device, surgeons are in a dilemma and the FDA could have done more to help patients.Read [ Houston, We Have a Problem with DePuy ASR Hip Replacement ]
January 26, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Cruz, CA:The study, published in the Bone & Joint Journal, finds that the rate of metal-on-metal (MoM) hip implant patients undergoing revision has increased over time. Researchers at the Universities of Oxford and Bristol have suggested the observed differences are in part due to increased patient surveillance. In the U.S., patient surveillance is pretty much left up to the patient.Read [ Tracking Systems in the U.K Key to Care for Hip Implant Patients, But Non-Existent in the U.S. ]
December 24, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: In a recent hip replacement trial, plaintiffs’ lawyer showed to the jury records whereby DePuy paid its Pinnacle hip "design surgeons" more than $184 million in royalties that he argued were kickbacks. And jurors watched a video of a 2008 DePuy sales conference themed “Taking Share of Business”. To the lyrics of “Takin’ Care of Business” by the rock group Bachman-Turner Overdrive, DePuy’s former top marketer leads a parade with costumed alligators, a bloodied man with a hatchet and a giant metal hip implant. The plaintiffs won.Read [ DePuy Hip’s Million Dollar Surgeons “Taking Share of Business” ]
November 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: With the date for the first bellwether hip replacement implant failure trial involving failed Stryker femoral heads now established for September, 2019 attention has shifted to a compelling questionnaire the Howmedica defense team has issued to plaintiffs as part of the deposition process.Read [ Stryker Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Plaintiff Survey Deemed ‘Intrusive’ ]
November 21, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA: It’s pretty much a straightforward decision for most of the 700,000 people in the U.S. who experience knee pain yearly: have a knee replacement or live the rest of your life in pain. But for some people implanted with a defective knee such as the DePuy Synthes Attune device, they made the wrong decision and the consequences have been brutal. As a result, they are filing knee replacement lawsuits against DePuy, alleging premature failure of the Attune device.Read [ DePuy Attune Knee Replacement Can Result in Physical, Emotional and Financial Pain ]
November 16, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Dallas, TX: A $247 million verdict has been awarded against the maker of DePuy’s Pinnacle line of metal-on-metal hip implants, DePuy Orthopaedics Inc, and its parent company Johnson & Johnson (J&J), with $90 million in punitive damages against J&J and $78 million in punitive damages against DePuy. The settlement is the third, consecutive multi-million dollar verdict delivered in this multidistrict litigation.Read [ $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial ]
- First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering By Lucy Campbell (Nov-6-17)
- Hip Replacement led to Sleep Deprivation and Oxycodone By Jane Mundy (Oct-26-17)
- Depuy Attune Knee Victim “Pissed off that there’s No Way to Fix this Defect Without Litigation” By Jane Mundy (Oct-16-17)
- Three Strikes after Depuy Synthes Attune Knee, First Lawsuit is Filed By Jane Mundy (Sep-21-17)
- Coming Unglued – DePuy Synthes Attune Buckles at the Knees By Anne Wallace (Sep-9-17)
- Stryker Hip Replacement Leads to more Broken Bones By Jane Mundy (Aug-27-17)
- Summary Judgment for DePuy Upheld in Defective Hip Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-17)
- Another DePuy Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Heads to Trial By Anne Wallace (Aug-5-17)
- Hip Replacement and Cobalt Poisoning misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's By Jane Mundy (Aug-1-17)
- Mixed Metals at Core of Stryker LFIT V40 Hip Implants By Brenda Craig (Jul-27-17)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Lawsuit Filed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-5-17)
- Federal Judge Allows Hip Implant Lawsuit to Move Forward By Deb Hipp (Jul-3-17)
- Hip Replacement Patient says Better Off Without By Jane Mundy (Jun-28-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Asks For New Trial in $151 Million Hip Lawsuit Judgment By Deb Hipp (Jun-14-17)
- State-Based Stryker Hip Implant Failure Lawsuits Consolidated in New Jersey By Gordon Gibb (Jun-6-17)
- Defective Hip Implant Makers Busy with Recalls, Lawsuits and Settlements By Jane Mundy (May-31-17)
- Judge Awards $2 Million Verdict in Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit By Deb Hipp (May-21-17)
- Lawsuits Mount for Stryker Over Allegedly Failed Medical Devices By Gordon Gibb (May-7-17)
- Odd Ruling in Hip Implant Failure Lawsuit? By Gordon Gibb (Apr-23-17)
- Stryker Hip Implant Lawsuits Head to Boston Multidistrict Litigation By Deb Hipp (Apr-15-17)
- Three implants, Two Revisions, One Chance Left By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-17)
- Despite Steep Reduction in Award, Plaintiff’s Defective Hip Implant Verdict Appealed By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-17)
- Hoping for a Hassle-Free Hip Implant a Roll of the Dice By Gordon Gibb (Mar-7-17)
- Defective Hip Implants: Newer Isn’t Always Better By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-17)
- The FDA Shortcut to a Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Feb-22-17)
- Appeals: I’ve had a Few, but then Too Few to Mention? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-17)
- Smith & Nephew Hip Implant Lawsuits Headed to Multidistrict Litigation By Deb Hipp (Feb-4-17)
- A Tale of Two Billion-Dollar Settlements By Gordon Gibb (Jan-25-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Faces Another Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-20-17)
- Seismic Shifts For DePuy MDL in 2017? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-17)
- Story of Failed DePuy Hip Replacement Devices “Shocking” says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Jan-4-17)
- Stryker Hip Settlement Expanded By Heidi Turner (Dec-27-16)
- J&J and DePuy Looking to Have Qui Tam Pinnacle Lawsuit Dismissed By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-16)
- Johnson & Johnson Ordered to Pay $1 Billion in Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-16)
- DePuy Pinnacle Plaintiff Received Hip Replacement at 16, Says “Life Ruined” By Gordon Gibb (Dec-8-16)
- $1B DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Verdict Against J&J By Lucy Campbell (Dec-2-16)
- Stryker Hip Replacement Lawsuit Can Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-16)
- DePuy Bellwether Drags On, While Canada Approves Zimmer Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-16)
- $240 Million Settlement Agreed in Wright Defective Hip Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Nov-10-16)
- Health Canada Recalls Certain Stryker Hip Lots By Heidi Turner (Nov-1-16)