LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Fraud Lawyer Interviews
May 23, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Washington, DC: Consumer advocates see potential storm clouds on the horizon and they are standing-at-the-ready to fight any forthcoming threat that might preclude consumers from using class action suits to pursue justice.Read [ Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits ]
February 4, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ No Shell Game Settlements for Attorney Patrick Perotti ]
Cleveland, OH Attorney Patrick Perotti has guided more than $25 million in unclaimed class-action settlement money to Ohio charities. His determination to make sure the leftover cash goes to the right place has earned him praise from non-profit groups and scorn from fellow class-action lawyers.
May 31, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Class Action Contends Author's Story Untrue ]
Great Falls, MT Millions of people around the world were inspired and swept up by the story of American Greg Mortenson and his selfless efforts to build schools for children in remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan. But, a class-action suit for fraud filed in Montana, where Mortenson lives, alleges the adventures documented in Mortenson's best-selling book Three Cups of Tea and Stones Into Schools were "fabrications."
February 8, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Match.com Is a Fraud Says Class-Action Suit ]
New York, NY Match.com and other dating websites have been sued for consumer fraud before, but this time it is different, according to attorney Jeffrey Norton. His firm has done an intensive and unprecedented investigation of Match.com and has spoken to dozens of former employees, sub contractors and other witnesses, including Match.com subscribers.
February 7, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Romanian Housekeeper Sued for Estate Fraud in Texas ]
Houston, TX Attorney Donald Worley calls it the worst case of estate fraud he has ever encountered, and warns people to be careful about who you name as the executor of your estate.
February 4, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Chicago Firm Takes Care of Business ]
Chicago, IL It wasn't the biggest lawsuit ever to come through the doors of Edelson McGuire, a well-known Chicago firm of about 20 lawyers, but it was important. "We try to handle important consumer issues, and when this came to us, we thought it was a worthy cause," says Collin Bond, associate attorney with the firm.
September 27, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Debts Wiped Out for 140,000 Payday Loan Customers ]
Washington, DC It took six years, 17,000 billable hours, three law firms and three public justice organizations, but in the end they managed to wrestle a payday loan company in North Carolina into a settling with thousands of unhappy customers. "We have had great reaction from clients," says Paul Bland, with the Public Justice organization in Washington, DC. "The settlement was a compromise. But we faced enormous legal challenges and we made the decision that this was a good settlement compared to the risks going forward."
September 18, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Fortune Hi-Tech Marketing Hit with National Class Action ]
Louisville, KY A giant pyramid scheme that has been masquerading as a marketing company appears to be starting to crumble. The only "fortune" the company created went mostly to the company's father figure, Paul Orbison, and a short list of his confederates.
May 16, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
San Diego, CA: "The Donald" got rich buying and selling real estate, and according to him, you can build a New York skyscraper with your name on it, too! Drawn by the power of the Trump name thousands of people have signed up for Trump University real estate investing seminars online and in hotels across the country. But Amber Eck, a San Diego lawyer from the firm Zeldes and Haegguist, argues that the purpose and content of the real estate investment seminars have been so egregiously misrepresented to the public as to constitute consumer fraud.Read [ Litigants Tell Donald Trump's University, "You're Fired!" ]
March 22, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Verizon Called on Unauthorized Charges ]
Cleveland, OH Thousands of Americans are megabyte mad at Verizon Wireless for adding charges to their monthly bills that they never used or authorized. Attorney Daniel Karon, whose firm has filed just one of a number of consumer fraud suits against Verizon for unauthorized charges, says plaintiffs "are non-smart phone users who never accessed the internet. Or if they did, they never browsed past the homepage, yet were charged for megabyte usage that they never incurred."
- Social Gamers Subject to Unauthorized Charges, According to Suit By Brenda Craig (Nov-30-09)
- Social Gamers Subject to Unauthorized Charges According to Suit By Brenda Craig (Nov-23-09)
- Class Action Attorney Wants to Know "What's in Their Wallets" By Brenda Craig (Nov-12-09)
- Cash4Gold Played Fast and Lost with Customers By Brenda Craig (Nov-4-09)
- Texas Billionaire Roped in Mexican Clients By Brenda Craig (Jul-10-09)
- Attorney Wants Phantom Fees Returned to Madoff Survivors By Brenda Craig (Jul-3-09)
- Attorney Sues Americash for PayDay Loan Hell By Brenda Craig (Jun-17-09)
- Attorney Norah Hart Takes on Match.Com By Brenda Craig (Jun-17-09)
- Law Firm Takes Google to Court By Brenda Craig (Jun-3-09)
- Obsolete Emergency Response Drives Mercedes Owners to Court By Brenda Craig (May-23-09)
- Famed Boston Attorney Starts New Civil Action By Brenda Craig (May-21-09)
- Surrogacy Company and Financial Agents Sued for Breach of Contract By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-09)
- Andrew Stoltmann: The Go Get 'Em Lawyer from Chicago By Brenda Craig (Apr-29-09)
- Shareholders Just Won't Stand for this Anymore By Brenda Craig (Apr-28-09)
- Patrick Perotti -- The Good Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Apr-16-09)
- The Debit Card Surprise at Hess Gas Stations By Brenda Craig (Apr-2-09)
- Loan Modification Applicants Victimized Again says Attorney By Brenda Craig (Mar-25-09)
- Canadians Sue Tennessee Insulation Company By Brenda Craig (Mar-23-09)
- Attorney Eric Gibbs: Dex-cool Case an Example of our Philosophy By Brenda Craig (Sep-30-08)
- Attorney Doug Nill: Against All Odds By Brenda Craig (Aug-25-08)
- Attorney Brian Maul Wins Big for Sub Prime Mortgage Victim By Brenda Craig (Aug-13-08)
- Don't Sue, Just Get Beijing Olympics Tickets By Brenda Craig (Aug-7-08)