LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
May 23, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Washington, DC: Consumer advocates see potential storm clouds on the horizon and they are standing-at-the-ready to fight any forthcoming threat that might preclude consumers from using class action suits to pursue justice.Read [ Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits ]
February 4, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ No Shell Game Settlements for Attorney Patrick Perotti ]
Cleveland, OH Attorney Patrick Perotti has guided more than $25 million in unclaimed class-action settlement money to Ohio charities. His determination to make sure the leftover cash goes to the right place has earned him praise from non-profit groups and scorn from fellow class-action lawyers.
May 31, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Class Action Contends Author's Story Untrue ]
Great Falls, MT Millions of people around the world were inspired and swept up by the story of American Greg Mortenson and his selfless efforts to build schools for children in remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan. But, a class-action suit for fraud filed in Montana, where Mortenson lives, alleges the adventures documented in Mortenson's best-selling book Three Cups of Tea and Stones Into Schools were "fabrications."
February 8, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Match.com Is a Fraud Says Class-Action Suit ]
New York, NY Match.com and other dating websites have been sued for consumer fraud before, but this time it is different, according to attorney Jeffrey Norton. His firm has done an intensive and unprecedented investigation of Match.com and has spoken to dozens of former employees, sub contractors and other witnesses, including Match.com subscribers.
February 7, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Romanian Housekeeper Sued for Estate Fraud in Texas ]
Houston, TX Attorney Donald Worley calls it the worst case of estate fraud he has ever encountered, and warns people to be careful about who you name as the executor of your estate.
February 4, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Chicago Firm Takes Care of Business ]
Chicago, IL It wasn't the biggest lawsuit ever to come through the doors of Edelson McGuire, a well-known Chicago firm of about 20 lawyers, but it was important. "We try to handle important consumer issues, and when this came to us, we thought it was a worthy cause," says Collin Bond, associate attorney with the firm.
January 19, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Chase Wrongly Overcharged and Foreclosed on Military Mortgages ]
New York, NY JP Morgan Chase has admitted in a report aired by NBC News, that they have "overcharged several thousand military families for their mortgages, including families of troops fighting in Afghanistan." Furthermore, the bank actually foreclosed, improperly, on the homes of several military families.
December 17, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Madoff Investor Returns $7.2 Billion to Ponzi Victims ]
New York, NY The estate of Jeffrey M. Picower, a philanthropist and investor from Palm Beach, has reached a settlement with the Trustee charged with recovering assets from the Madoff bankruptcy, Irving H. Picard, and the United States attorney for the Southern District, Preet Bharara that will see a total of $7.2 billion cash made available to compensate the victims of Bernard Madoff's global ponzi scheme. The announcement comes on the heels of the suicide of 46-year old son Mark Madoff, who hung himself in his New York loft this week.
September 27, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Debts Wiped Out for 140,000 Payday Loan Customers ]
Washington, DC It took six years, 17,000 billable hours, three law firms and three public justice organizations, but in the end they managed to wrestle a payday loan company in North Carolina into a settling with thousands of unhappy customers. "We have had great reaction from clients," says Paul Bland, with the Public Justice organization in Washington, DC. "The settlement was a compromise. But we faced enormous legal challenges and we made the decision that this was a good settlement compared to the risks going forward."
September 18, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Fortune Hi-Tech Marketing Hit with National Class Action ]
Louisville, KY A giant pyramid scheme that has been masquerading as a marketing company appears to be starting to crumble. The only "fortune" the company created went mostly to the company's father figure, Paul Orbison, and a short list of his confederates.
- Wells Fargo's "Neat Tricks" Took Millions from Customers By Brenda Craig (Aug-14-10)
- Payday Loan Company Sued for 782 Percent Interest Rates By Gordon Gibb (Aug-12-10)
- 180-Day Hold Sparks PayPal Suit By Brenda Craig (Jun-24-10)
- FTC Mails Checks to Victims of Cross-Border Consumer Fraud By Charles Benson (May-17-10)
- Litigants Tell Donald Trump's University, "You're Fired!" By Brenda Craig (May-16-10)
- Verizon Called on Unauthorized Charges By Brenda Craig (Mar-22-10)
- Online Consumer Fraud Nets Hackers $120 Million in Three Months By Charles Benson (Mar-14-10)
- Minnesota Businessman Could Face 335 Years in Prison for Consumer Fraud By Charles Benson (Mar-13-10)
- Delaware Files Suit Against Developer over Consumer Fraud By Charles Benson (Feb-26-10)
- Former New Jersey Mayor Pleads Guilty To Tax Evasion By Charles Benson (Jan-27-10)
- Health Care Fraud Worsened Last Year By Gordon Gibb (Jan-16-10)
- Two New Jersey Men Convicted in Lawsuits Related to Mortgage Scams By Charles Benson (Dec-25-09)
- Social Gamers Subject to Unauthorized Charges, According to Suit By Brenda Craig (Nov-30-09)
- Social Gamers Subject to Unauthorized Charges According to Suit By Brenda Craig (Nov-23-09)
- FTC Brings the Hammer Down for Negative Option Consumer Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-09)
- Class Action Attorney Wants to Know "What's in Their Wallets" By Brenda Craig (Nov-12-09)
- Cash4Gold Played Fast and Lost with Customers By Brenda Craig (Nov-4-09)
- Businessman charged with financial fraud in two states By Charles Benson (Sep-27-09)
- Illinois AG files consumer fraud lawsuit against contractor By Charles Benson (Sep-21-09)
- Final Fantasy XI Gamers Fight Back By Brenda Craig (Aug-18-09)
- Toronto Theatre Men Sentenced for Financial Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Aug-6-09)
- Amazon Sued by Students Over Remote Deletion of Orwell's '1984' By Gordon Gibb (Aug-2-09)
- Sometimes With Consumer Fraud You Don't Know Where the Bodies are Buried By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-09)
- Attorney Williamson Wants to Put a Stop to Red Light Fines By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-09)
- Texas Billionaire Roped in Mexican Clients By Brenda Craig (Jul-10-09)
- Attorney Wants Phantom Fees Returned to Madoff Survivors By Brenda Craig (Jul-3-09)
- Expedia at Losing End of Two Alleged Consumer Fraud Rulings By Gordon Gibb (Jun-18-09)
- Attorney Sues Americash for PayDay Loan Hell By Brenda Craig (Jun-17-09)
- Attorney Norah Hart Takes on Match.Com By Brenda Craig (Jun-17-09)
- Law Firm Takes Google to Court By Brenda Craig (Jun-3-09)
- Obsolete Emergency Response Drives Mercedes Owners to Court By Brenda Craig (May-23-09)
- Famed Boston Attorney Starts New Civil Action By Brenda Craig (May-21-09)
- Consumer Fraud Goes Up in a Down Economy By Gordon Gibb (May-17-09)
- Dream Home Scheme Amounted to an Alleged $70 Million Consumer Fraud By Gordon Gibb (May-11-09)
- Surrogacy Company and Financial Agents Sued for Breach of Contract By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-09)
- Andrew Stoltmann: The Go Get 'Em Lawyer from Chicago By Brenda Craig (Apr-29-09)
- Shareholders Just Won't Stand for this Anymore By Brenda Craig (Apr-28-09)
- South Carolina Tax Firm Taken to Task by Texas By Gordon Gibb (Apr-20-09)
- Patrick Perotti -- The Good Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Apr-16-09)
- Consumer Fraud Scams: What's Old Is New Again By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-09)