LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Rights Legal News Articles & Interviews
August 1, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: The noise from Washington D.C. these past months is such a wild, aggressive cacophony of loud voices, tweets, emails, conflicting opinion and unending TV gab that it is easy to overlook some very significant Trump inspired legislation making its way through the House of Representatives and the Senate.Read [ ‘Back the Blue Bill’ Will Crush Civil Rights/Wrongful Death Lawsuits ]
July 28, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Torrance, CA The video posted on YouTube shows a large gray sedan blocked in on a friendly neighborhood side street in Torrance, California with a 39-year-old black woman behind the wheel. The car accelerates and rams a police car, then lurches forward and rams another police car. Three Torrance police officers fire 33 bullets in rapid succession into the vehicle. Michelle Shirley, a mother and a graduate of Loyola University law school is gravely wounded and within an hour she is pronounced dead at County Harbor – UCLA Medical Center on October 31, 2016.Read [ Wrongful Death Suit Filed After Cops Shoot Woman with Bipolar Disorder 33 Times ]
August 3, 2016. By The National Trial Lawyers.
WHAT: Today, Public Citizen will appear in court for the next step in Public Citizen v. FEC. Public Citizen will ask the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to grant its request to declare that the Federal Election Commission (FEC) was wrong when it failed to investigate Crossroads GPS for not registering as a political committee and to direct the FEC to open an investigation.Read [ Court Should Direct FEC to Investigate Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS ]
February 25, 2012. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Attorney Makes New Case Law to Protect Privacy of the Families of the Dead ]
Newport Beach, CA The Catsouras family was very distraught when they came to see attorney Keith Bremer in November 2006. Their 18-year-old daughter Nicole "Nikki" had recently been killed in a horrible traffic accident that happened on October 31—Halloween Day. She had been decapitated, and extremely graphic pictures of their daughter had gone viral on the Internet. Had their right to privacy been violated?
September 26, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Pennsylvania Hotel to Pay for Discrimination ]
Stamford, CT It took six years, but a predominantly black church from an economically challenged part of Connecticut that was denied hotel accommodations for its members managed to exact justice. The Macedonia Church and its members were recently awarded $675,000 for a breach of a post-civil war statute that guarantees the rights of all persons to make contracts regardless of race.
July 19, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Public Defense System under Fire in Washington State ]
Seattle, WA Out of a duty to the public good, two attorneys from Seattle have taken on a class-action suit aimed at ensuring that low-income and indigent persons charged with misdemeanors in Mount Vernon and Burlington are afforded all the rights afforded to US citizens. "We got interested in the idea just as conscientious attorneys," says Toby Marshall, from the firm of Terrell, Marshall, Daudt & Willie. "We started investigating about six months ago, doing public disclosure requests, getting documents and interviewing people."
March 2, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Mickey Rooney Charges Step Children with Elder Abuse ]
Los Angeles, CA Mickey Rooney, the legendary child star and Hollywood icon, has given testimony before a Senate panel on elder abuse, CBS News reports. Rooney, now 90 years of age, alleges that his two step children took his money and cut off his care.
February 9, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lebanon School District Sued for Excessive Truancy Fines ]
Philadelphia, PA The fine for truancy in the school district of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, is, by law, a maximum of $300. But according to the due-process class-action complaint filed by public interest and civil rights attorney Michael Churchill, the district has been unfairly and unequally applying fines well in excess of that for the last six years.
February 6, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ There Is Justice for All ]
Mineola, NY Never doubt the strength and durability of the American justice system says attorney Mark Bernstein—there is justice for all. "If you ever doubted it," says Bernstein, "this is the case that should prove to you we are still living in the right country at the right time."
July 27, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Battle Brews over Lower Manhattan Proposed Mosque ]
Washington, DC The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which represents a New York firefighter who survived the 9-11 attack on the World Trade Center, is pursing all avenues to prevent a mosque from being built near Ground Zero is lower Manhattan. "We are not opposed to mosques in general," says ACLJ chief legal counsel Jay Sekulow. "We are, however, opposed to this mosque."
- New Lawsuit Alleges that Boston Police Violated Civil Rights of Man Who Videotaped Arrest By Charles Benson (Feb-5-10)
- Enforcement of DC Prostitution Law May Attack Women's Civil Rights By Charles Benson (Jan-15-10)
- Taser Was Instrument of Excessive Force, Says Attorney By Brenda Craig (Jan-11-10)
- Nevada DA Faces Civil Rights Suit for Wrongful Prosecution By Charles Benson (Dec-9-09)
- Famed Civil Rights Lawyer Subject of New Film By Gordon Gibb (Nov-16-09)
- Civil Rights Violations Alleged at Burbank Police Force By Gordon Gibb (Oct-7-09)
- 3 indicted over civil rights violations in prison By Charles Benson (Sep-23-09)
- Ohio Drivers Miffed by Sale of Private Info By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-09)
- Sensitive Hospital Records Left on Train a Breach of Civil Human Rights By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-09)
- Nashville Attorney Puts Southwest to the 'Text' By Brenda Craig (May-27-09)
- CDC Sued for Violation of Privacy By Gordon Gibb (May-1-09)
- Home is Where the Institution is, in Illinois By Gordon Gibb (Dec-11-08)
- Attorney Geoffrey Fieger: Why Lawyers are Afraid to Win By Brenda Craig (Oct-31-08)
- Civil Rights case of He Said, She Said…in One Body? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-11-08)
- No One Has the Right to Take Your Civil Rights By Gordon Gibb (Aug-2-08)
- Lawsuit Alleges Tattoo Parlor Rules Violate Civil Rights By Ginger Gillenwater (May-14-08)
- NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Policy Challenged by Civil Rights Group By Ginger Gillenwater (May-9-08)
- Azulay Horn & Seiden, LLC Files Class Action Law Suit against the US Government for Refusing to Accept Green Card Applications (Jul-11-07)
- State Marshals Sued in Class Action charging Abuse of Arrest Powers By LAS Staff Writer (Mar-14-07)
- Citizenship Denied By Jane Mundy (Nov-20-06)
- Green Card Disconnect By Jane Mundy (Nov-2-06)