As a prior accident victim himself, Mr. Abrahamson understands exactly how quickly life can change in a personal injury accident: “In my practice, I have discovered firsthand that it is mandatory for personal injury clients to work with experienced attorneys and a financially stable law firm to successfully counter the tactics of insurance companies that attempt to minimize compensation for the injured. Nearly twenty-five years ago, I personally experienced the pain and health issues associated with being involved in an accident when I became the victim of a negligent driver and sustained herniated disks in my neck and lower back.”
Education and Background
Originally from the Midwest, Mr. Abrahamson graduated from Luther College in 1984 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He went on to obtain his J.D. from Stetson University of Law in 1987. He was selected to be on Stetson’s esteemed Moot Court Team. He also studied law abroad in Oxford, England, and Bordeaux, France.
Mr. Abrahamson is admitted to practice law in Colorado and Florida state courts as well as the United States District Court, the United States Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. He’s a member of the Clearwater Bar Association, the Florida Bar, the American Association for Justice Education, and the Florida Justice Association.
Mr. Abrahamson is active in the legal community, previously serving as a Director for the Young Lawyers Section of the Clearwater Bar Association and a hearing officer for the Pinellas County School Board. He has also spoken as a legal expert on television and radio and at local colleges.
When he’s not busy with the firm’s practice, Mr. Abrahamson maintains an active physical lifestyle, enjoying a wide variety of seasonal outdoor activities. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, you could find him spending weekends in Florida and Colorado, enjoying activities such as skiing, hiking, and biking.
Types of Personal Injury Cases Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Handles
Abrahamson and Uiterwyk is a full-service Florida personal injury firm. Some of the most common cases they handle are:
- Car accidents,
- Motorcycle accidents,
- Bicycle accidents,
- 18-wheeler accidents,
- Slip and falls,
- Pedestrian accidents,
- Wrongful death,
- Medical malpractice,
- Product liability,
- Nursing home abuse,
- Dog bites, and
- Construction accidents.
The firm has offices conveniently located in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, New Port Richey, Spring Hill, and Lakeland.
Abrahamson and Uiterwyk has represented over 20,000 clients to date with many successful results. Some of the firm’s most significant verdicts and settlements include:
- $34,697,465 verdict in a premises liability and wrongful death claim involving a man who died due to lung cancer caused by smoking. $20,000,000 of the award came from punitive damages.
- $20,000,000 verdict in a premises liability and wrongful death claim involving a teenager who was killed while riding his neighbor’s ATV.
- $15,310,000 verdict in a product liability and wrongful death claim involving a lifelong smoker who died of lung cancer. $12.3 million of the verdict was punitive damages.
- $6,100,000 settlement involving a 12-year-old child who sustained severe injuries after being hit by a cement truck.
- $5,000,000 settlement in a medical malpractice claim where the hospital didn’t recognize the need for surgery following a scooter accident and the plaintiff sustained severe brain damage.
Firm Awards and Achievements
Throughout their three decades of practice, Mr. Abrahamson’s firm has received countless awards. Some of these awards and achievements include:
- “Best Law Firm” rating with U.S. News and World Report;
- Highest “AV Preeminent” rating on Martindale-Hubbell; and
- A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau.
They created NO DUI Free Sober Rides, which reimburses up to 500 passengers who request a rideshare through Uber or Lyft to get home safe on qualifying holidays, such as Super Bowl Sunday and New Year’s Eve. NO DUI Free Sober Rides services Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk counties. Riders must be of legal drinking age, and the maximum value of each ride is $50.
Mr. Abrahamson’s firm also offers a Safe Driving Scholarship initiative to help reduce DUI-related accidents. These scholarships are worth up to $1,500 for Florida undergrad programs. For the 2021 edition, applicants must write an essay of 500 to 1,000 words detailing their most commonly distracted driving habits and why and how they intend to end those potentially deadly bad habits.
Local Organizations Abrahamson & Uiterwyk Supports
In addition to their DUI safety programs, Abrahamson & Uiterwyk supports numerous local charities and organizations. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they began supporting Feeding Tampa Bay, part of the national Feeding America network. By making a $10,000 donation, they earned a “Soul Food” level partner. They also started a GoFundMe campaign, which raised over $25,000 for Feeding Tampa Bay.
READ MORE CAR CRASH LEGAL NEWS
- Tampa Bay Runners Strawberry Classic: A non-profit fitness group benefiting Children’s Dream Fund and Meals of Wheels of Tampa Bay;
- Live Like Jake 5K Run Walk: Raises awareness for drowning prevention and helps families who have or lost a child with critical care needs; and
- Wheelchairs 4 Kids: Helps provide wheelchairs, lifts, ramps, and home modifications to families with children who have degenerative diseases that cause them to lose motor skills.
Why Choose Abrahamson & Uiterwyk?
Mr. Abrahamson sums it up perfectly when he discusses choosing the right Florida personal injury firm. He says, “If you have unexpectedly become the victim of an injury or accident that requires the services of a personal injury attorney, you may need an aggressive and experienced attorney in this area of law, and one who also has developed an extraordinary compassion for the physical, emotional and financial pain of the injured. Attorney Erik Abrahamson responds wholeheartedly to this demanding challenge.”