LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Byetta Legal News Articles & Interviews
September 23, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Big Trial Coming for Diabetes Drug Byetta ]
Los Angeles, CA: More than seven million prescriptions have been written in the US for a diabetes drug called Byetta, and this coming November, all eyes will focus on a California court case that alleges that its use triggered acute pancreatitis in five individuals and led to the death of two others.
June 5, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Washington, DC: Merck, the maker of sitagliptin (Januvia, Janumet, Janumet XR, Juvisync), is, according to The New York Times, facing 43 personal injury lawsuits alleging Januvia caused pancreatic cancer. But Merck is not the only pharmaceutical company facing legal action over adverse event profiles associated with this class of drugs: over 100 lawsuits claiming injury from Byetta, mostly pancreatitis, according to the latest quarterly regulatory filing from Bristol-Myers.Read [ Doctor Knew of Problems with Januvia in 2008 ]
April 1, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Januvia and Byetta Increase Pancreatic and Neuroendocrine Cancer Risk ]
Washington, DC Results from a small study of organs from diabetic patients who were treated with Merck’s Januvia (sitagliptin) and Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Byetta and Bydureon (exenatide) show increases in pancreatic mass and beta cell mass, potentially increasing their risk for pancreatic cancer.
March 25, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA Opens Investigation into Januvia and Pancreatitis ]
Washington, DC Reports of pancreatitis associated with type 2 diabetes medications, including Merck’s Januvia and Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Byetta and Bydureon, have prompted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin a safety review.
March 14, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ FDA Launches New Evalution into Link Between Type 2 Diabetes Meds and Pancreatitis ]
Washington, DC Several recently approved diabetes medications, including Januvia and Janumet (Merck), Victoza (Novo Nordisk) and Byetta and Bydureon (Bristol-Myers Squibb), have come under new review by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as a result of emerging evidence which suggests these drugs increase the risk for pancreatitis.
March 8, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Januvia Studies Link Medication to Serious Side Effects ]
Miami, FL A new study examining Januvia has some critics arguing that patients should talk to their doctor about the risk of Januvia side effects. Although no Januvia lawsuits have been filed, Ben Stewart, attorney at Stewart Law Group PLLC, says he expects lawsuits will be filed in the next few months, alleging patients suffered serious side effects - including thyroid and pancreatic cancer- as a result of using Januvia.
February 26, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Pancreatitis Risk Doubles with Januvia and Byetta JAMA Study Shows ]
Washington, DC Results from a new study of the diabetes treatments Januvia and Byetta show that the drugs may double the risk of pancreatitis. While both drugs have been associated with pancreatitis, new data reported in JAMA Internal Medicine finally reveal an estimate of the risk.
August 12, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ New Owners Gambling Bydureon Won’t Be Another Byetta ]
New York, NY When Bristol-Myers Squibb (Squibb) and AstraZeneca close the deal on their acquisition of Amylin Pharmaceuticals, the suitors will not only rake in the cash from Amylin's new once-weekly diabetes drug injectable Bydureon, they will also have to assume any perceived and demonstrated risks associated with both Bydureon and Byetta. The latter has been linked to various side effects, including Byetta acute pancreatitis and kidney problems.
July 7, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ FDA Accuses Amylin of Withholding Byetta Safety Information ]
Washington, DC A recently posted memo from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) accuses Amylin Pharmaceuticals of withholding information about the safety of Byetta, a diabetes medication. The memo, written concerning an application for Bydureon, claims Amylin withheld information about Byetta side effects, information that was uncovered during a study conducted for Canadian regulatory authorities. Byetta has been linked to a number of serious side effects, including acute pancreatitis.
June 1, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ What Can Patients Believe About Byetta? ]
San Diego, CA Byetta, the diabetes medication made and marketed by Eli Lilly and Amylin, has reportedly been linked to an increased risk of pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. Some of these reported Byetta side effects may go under the radar, however, because the makers of the drug—and similar drugs—disputed some of the scientific research that went against their medication. The pharmaceutical companies argued that other studies did not find an increased risk of serious side effects and further did not find an association between Byetta and certain reported risks.
- Byetta Manufacturer Reportedly at a Crossroads By Gordon Gibb (May-2-12)
- Byetta Side Effects Do Not Stop Additional Use Approval By Heidi Turner (Apr-6-12)
- Byetta Patients Must Be Aware of the Risks By Heidi Turner (Mar-4-12)
- Will Byetta Side Effects Haunt the Approval of Bydureon? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-12)
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals Takes Over Byetta By Heidi Turner (Dec-20-11)
- Drug Companies' Complaints Get Study Withdrawn By Heidi Turner (Nov-24-11)
- Doctors, Researchers to Debate Safety of Diabetes Drugs By Lucy Campbell (Sep-13-11)
- Public Citizen Out Early on Warnings Regarding Januvia By Gordon Gibb (Dec-18-10)
- Amylin Posts Third-Quarter Loss As Byetta Sales Decline By Charles Benson (Nov-20-10)
- Much-Anticipated Byetta Cousin Rejected Again by the FDA By Gordon Gibb (Nov-6-10)
- Will We Start Hearing of Bydureon Acute Pancreatitis One Day? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-23-10)
- Study: Byetta Used With Insulin Glargine Helps Control Glucose By Charles Benson (Oct-14-10)
- Is Byetta's Manufacturer Pushing the Envelope? By Jane Mundy (Oct-9-10)
- Byetta Nausea: Common and Serious Side Effect? By Jane Mundy (Sep-24-10)
- What You Don't Know about Byetta By Gordon Gibb (Sep-18-10)
- Better than Byetta? By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-10)
- Health Concerns Partially Cause Byetta to Lose Ground in Diabetes Market By Charles Benson (Sep-2-10)
- "Byetta is a Bad Drug" By Jane Mundy (Aug-30-10)
- A Potential New Market for Byetta? By Gordon Gibb (Aug-18-10)
- Decline in Sales Results in Byetta Makeover? By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-10)
- Sales of Diabetes Treatment Byetta Continue to Fall By Charles Benson (Aug-2-10)
- Will Bydureon Suffer Same Fate as Byetta? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-29-10)
- Byetta Found No Worse than Competitors for Acute Pancreatitis By Gordon Gibb (Jul-11-10)
- Will New Byetta Weekly Injection Carry Similar Concerns? By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-10)
- Byetta Pancreatitis Gives Diabetes Patients Something More to Worry About By Heidi Turner (Mar-24-09)
- "Byetta is my Dirty Little Secret" By Jane Mundy (Nov-17-08)
- Why Bother with Byetta? By Jane Mundy (Nov-10-08)
- "I Blame Byetta for My Husband's Death" By Jane Mundy (Nov-3-08)
- Byetta Lands a Plum as Safety Concern Remains By Gordon Gibb (Oct-25-08)
- Byetta far from "Miracle Drug" By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-08)
- Byetta Side Effects a Fact of Life By Gordon Gibb (Sep-18-08)
- Byetta: "I Had No Warning" By Heidi Turner (Sep-15-08)
- Byetta "Not Worth It" By Heidi Turner (Sep-6-08)
- Byetta: "It's Kind of Scary" By Heidi Turner (Sep-1-08)
- Byetta Deaths: And Now There Are Six… By Gordon Gibb (Aug-28-08)
- Byetta: Potential New Warnings, Same Old Drug… By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-08)
- Renewed Concerns About Byetta After Patient Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Aug-20-08)
- Byetta Side Effects: Understanding Pancreatitis By Heidi Turner (Nov-12-07)
- Warning Labels for Byetta Updated By Heidi Turner (Nov-4-07)
- Byetta: Diabetes Drug Suspected in Acute Pancreatitis By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-07)