LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Brain Injury Legal News Articles & Interviews
September 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Springfield, MA: The estate of late NFL player Aaron Hernandez on Thursday filed a federal lawsuit against the National Football League (NFL) and the New England Patriots, alleging that defendants failed to protect Hernandez from traumatic brain injury within the context of active play in football games, all the while knowing that repeated blows to the head could lead to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), an irreversible brain disease.Read [ Late CFL Player, 27, Exhibited CTE Symptoms of Someone Three Times His Age ]
July 13, 2016. By The National Trial Lawyers.
NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy Winner Paul Hornung filed suit against helmet maker Riddell, claiming the plastic helmet he wore failed to protect his brain and that Riddell failed to warn him of the helmets’ risks.Read [ Football Legend Paul Hornung, Now Suffering from Dementia, Files Suit Against Helmet Maker Riddell ]
January 22, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Brain Injury Lawsuit Targets the Obvious: Professional Wrestling ]
Portland, OR With two weeks and counting to the Super Bowl, and with the NFL concussion settlement on the plus side of $870 million still fresh in our minds, comes word of a brain injury lawsuit from a fairly obvious genre of professional sport.
November 18, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ NCAA Faces $50 Million Brain Injury Lawsuit ]
Houston, TX The NCAA faces a $50 million brain injury lawsuit alleging the organization failed in its duty to protect football players from brain injury and brain trauma. The lawsuit was filed by Julius Whittier, a former offensive lineman and tight end for the Texas Longhorns. Whittier was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s disease in August 2012.
October 19, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Traumatic Brain Injury Affects Adolescent Brains ]
San Francisco, CA A new study suggests that suffering a brain injury at a young age can have a serious effect on children, including affecting their behavior. Traumatic brain injuries have been in the media lately due to their incidence in amateur and professional sport, and each year millions of people visit the emergency room for brain trauma.
September 25, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The Grid Iron Begins with a New Brain Injury Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA As the professional and college and high school football seasons are in full swing for the fall, brain injury is again top of mind related to both the physical demands of the sport, together with the need to properly protect from concussions and to respond appropriately when one occurs. To that end, the widow of a former pro football player who took his own life last year has filed a brain injury lawsuit against a number of defendants.
August 17, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ NCAA Settles Brain Injury Lawsuit ]
Chicago, IL These days, it seems as though certain sports may be in the news more for brain injury lawsuits than for actual sporting events. The NCAA is the latest organization to announce a settlement of traumatic brain injury lawsuits, following the NFL.
July 1, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Magistrate’s Opinion Signals Hope, Direction for Brain Injury Plaintiffs ]
Pittsburgh, PA Reports of concussions and resulting brain injury have gained the most traction in the public conscience via professional sport inherent with the National Football League (NFL) and National Hockey League (NHL). To that point, many a brain injury lawsuit has galvanized public awareness over sports play that results in blows to the head. And lawsuits in both the NFL and NHL arenas assert that defendants could have done more to alert their players about the potential for injury, and help prevent such injury, but allegedly failed to do so.
June 5, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ ER Traumatic Brain Injury Visits on the Rise ]
Washington, DC A new study suggests that the number of emergency room visits for traumatic brain injury is on the rise. Part of the reason for this could be the increase in awareness about the risks associated with head injuries and in particular the risks associated with a brain injury. High-profile brain injury lawsuits, such as the lawsuit faced by the NFL, may bring even further attention to the situation, increasing awareness of the risks.
May 5, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ During Playoffs, the Ongoing Battle Over Traumatic Brain Injury in the Courts ]
New York, NY While hockey players and fans alike focus on the current rounds of playoffs that lead up to the iconic Stanley Cup Final later this spring, an issue that constantly simmers behind the drama of play is the potential for serious injuries related to the physical nature of the game. To that end, while the playoffs continue, and with fans caught up in the fever that is the road to Lord Stanley’s Cup, hovering just below the radar is yet another brain injury lawsuit alleging the National Hockey League (NHL) could have done more to prevent concussions, and the traumatic brain injury that often results.
- Brain Injury Lawsuit Stems from GM Ignition Switch Recall By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-14)
- Helmet Maker Found Not Liable for Brain Injury By Heidi Turner (Mar-27-14)
- Lawsuit Filed in Brain Injury Hazing Case By Heidi Turner (Feb-13-14)
- NFL Brain Injury Settlement Rejected By Heidi Turner (Jan-23-14)
- In Spite of Massive Settlements, Brain Injury Lawsuits Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Dec-16-13)
- More Brain Injury Lawsuits Filed against NFL By Heidi Turner (Nov-18-13)
- Former College Player’s Dream Dashed by Concussion and Brain Injury By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-13)
- Massive NFL Brain Injury Lawsuit Settlement in Play, Families Continue to Sue By Gordon Gibb (Sep-9-13)
- Rising Trampoline Accident and Injury Rates Raise Alarm Bells By Lucy Campbell (Aug-12-13)
- Even Mild Brain Injury Can Lead to Multimillion-Dollar Settlements By Gordon Gibb (Aug-10-13)
- Brain Injury Lawsuit Leads to $14 Million Award By Heidi Turner (Jul-25-13)
- Soccer Heading Linked to Brain Injury By Heidi Turner (Jun-20-13)
- Brain Injury and Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed by Boogaard Family By Jane Mundy (May-21-13)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuits Added to NFL Concussion Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Apr-3-13)
- Homeless Vietnam Vet Launches Brain Injury Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-2-13)
- Brain Injury Suicide Victim’s Case Now Before the Courts By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-13)
- Brain Injury: Touchdown Concussion By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-13)
- Brain Injury Employee Denied Unum Benefits, Insurance Attorney Helps By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-13)
- Brain Injury Victim Learning from Scratch By Jane Mundy (Dec-7-12)
- Brain Injury and the CFL: The Scrimmage Continues By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-12)
- What is a Brain Injury Worth? By Jane Mundy (Oct-20-12)
- NFL Brain Injury Saga Continues By Heidi Turner (Sep-23-12)
- NFL Hit Heavy with Brain Injury Lawsuits—Counters with Breach of Contract Suit By Jane Mundy (Aug-16-12)
- Another Iraq Veteran with Traumatic Brain Injury By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-12)
- Brain Injury Lawsuit Settlement Helps Injured Boy By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-12)
- Did Junior Seau Suffer from Brain Injury CTE? By Gordon Gibb (May-3-12)
- Woman Says Prescription Drug Caused Brain Injury By Jane Mundy (Apr-19-12)
- Family of Deceased NFL Player Files Brain Injury Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-10-12)
- On the Eve of Super Bowl, NFL Brain Injury Lawsuits Consolidated By Gordon Gibb (Feb-1-12)
- Victim's Brain Injury Unrecognized By Jane Mundy (Jan-23-12)
- "Traumatic Brain Injury Mistaken for PTSD," Says Iraq Veteran By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-11)
- Mother Sues District for Son's Brain Injury By Charles Benson (Nov-5-11)
- Traumatic Brain Injury—Critical Information By Jane Mundy (Oct-12-11)
- Former NFL Players File Brain Injury Lawsuits Against League and Manufacturers By Charles Benson (Sep-21-11)
- NFL Faces Brain Injury Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-3-11)
- Unrecognized Traumatic Brain Injury Ends Policeman's Career By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-11)
- Study Links Brain Injury to Stroke By Jane Mundy (Jul-30-11)
- "Too Often, Unrecognized Brain Injuries Result from Amusement Park Rides," Says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Jul-28-11)
- NFL Sued over Concussions By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-11)
- New York Man Protesting Motorcycle Helmet Law Dies of Brain Injury By Charles Benson (Jul-5-11)