LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
BP Oil Spill Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 12, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ BP Steps Up to the Plate in Alabama ]
Birmingham, AL The Deepwater Horizon oil spill may have fallen away from the news headlines, but millions of Americans along the gulf coast are still struggling with the aftermath of the worse oil spill in American history. In the vacation town of Orange Beach, Alabama, the Deepwater oil disaster threatened to delay a $500 million condominium project. The developers, Brett/Robinson, were prepared to sue BP for the damage done to the future of the Phoenix West II project. But, this time, there's no need to pencil in months of courtroom time and prepare for expensive litigation.
December 14, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Eight Charged with Defrauding BP Oil Spill Compensation Fund ]
Washington, DC There is one in every crowd—or in this case, eight. As much concern as there was for the BP Oil Spill and the impact it would have on the lives and livelihoods of those directly affected, recent reports suggest that winter tourism at least is returning to normal levels in those areas. Meanwhile, there are reports of individuals defrauding BP and the federal government over compensation claims.
December 6, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Commission Co-Chair Says Management at Fault in BP Oil Spill ]
Washington, DC The co-chairman of President Obama's commission investigating the BP oil spill says that management should be blamed for the blowout of the PLC's Macondo well that caused the worst offshore oil spill in US history, the Wall Street Journal reports.
September 22, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Did BP Oil Spill Clean-up End Too Soon? ]
Pensacola, FL The news in recent days about the successful and permanent closure of the well responsible for the BP oil spill comes as welcome news. If government observers are to be believed, the majority of the millions of gallons of BP crude oil that leaked into the Gulf of Mexico have already dispersed. However, some oil spill clean-up workers who found themselves suddenly laid off after the crisis passed believe there is still work to do.
September 10, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Study to Examine Health Impact of BP Oil Spill ]
Bethesda, MD A US National Institutes of Health (NIH) study will look into the potential health hazards caused by the BP oil spill, using $10 million in funding from the oil giant.
August 11, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ BP Oil Spill Lawsuits to be Heard in New Orleans ]
Montgomery, AB The Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation (MDL) decided today that more than 300 suits filed since the April 20 rig explosion resulting in the BP oil spill will be heard in New Orleans, La. U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier will preside. Lawsuits include personal injury claims that resulted from the deadly blast on the oil rig "Deepwater Horizon," damages to those who have experienced illness from contact with the oil dispersant as well as loss of income and property value.
July 27, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ New Oil Leak in Louisiana: Tug Boat Hits Wellhead ]
New Orleans, LA Less than two weeks after the BP oil spill was capped in the Gulf of Mexico, a wellhead in the inland waterways of Louisiana, near New Orleans, was hit by a tugboat early this morning and began spewing oil 20 feet up in the air.
July 26, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Hayward on His Way out over BP Oil Spill ]
London, UK A long-rumored development in the saga of the BP oil spill may come to pass in a matter of hours with the expected ouster of British Petroleum CEO Tony Hayward, according to a Reuters report this morning in the New York Times. Hayward's handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, together with published comments that have enraged Americans affected by the disaster, are thought to have moved the BP board away from their previously unfaltering support of the CEO.
July 19, 2010. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Fishermen Upset About BP Oil Spill Decision ]
Biloxi, MS As the residents of the Gulf Coast continue to deal with the aftermath of the BP oil spill, fishermen are receiving even more bad news. According to Reuters on 7/16/10, those who work in the fishing industry learned they might lose out on some of their claim if they help BP clean up the oil spill.
July 19, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Tests to Begin on Leaking Well in BP Oil Spill ]
New Orleans, LA BP, the company responsible for the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, plans to test the leaking oil well to determine whether it can be sealed off.
- BP Claimants Reportedly Waiting for Compensation By Heidi Turner (Jul-13-10)
- BP Oil Spill Now Worst in US History By Gordon Gibb (Jul-3-10)
- Businessman Suspects BP Oil Will Deny Claim By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-10)
- BP Employees Sue Over Losses By Lucy Campbell (Jun-29-10)
- Robot Blunder Sets BP Oil Spill Cleanup Efforts Back By Charles Benson (Jun-27-10)
- BP's $20 Billion Claim Fund: Should Victims File a Claim? By Heidi Turner (Jun-22-10)
- Benzene from Gulf Oil Spill a Concern for Workers and Residents By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-10)
- BP's Hayward to Testify Thursday Amidst Mounting Evidence That BP is to Blame for Oil Spill By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-10)
- BP Taking Blame for Now, but Legal Battles Will Be Complex By Gordon Gibb (Jun-14-10)
- BP Oil Spill: Officials Consider Changes to Law By Heidi Turner (Jun-9-10)
- Lawsuits Claiming BP Oil Spill Damaged Property, Business and Tourism By Gordon Gibb (May-26-10)
- BP Oil Spill Lawsuits Target MMS and the Government By Heidi Turner (May-22-10)
- Concerns over BP Oil Spill Prompt Lawsuit to Close Deeper Drilling Operation By Charles Benson (May-20-10)
- Transocean Tries to Limit Liability By Brenda Craig (May-19-10)
- Tar Balls Wash Up in Florida Keys, Fishing Ban Expanded By Lucy Campbell (May-18-10)
- Oil Blowout Irks BP Shareholders By Brenda Craig (May-13-10)
- Environmental Hazard, Yes, But What of BP Oil Spill Effect on Volunteers? By Gordon Gibb (May-12-10)
- Attorney Wes Pittman Speaks about the BP Oil Spill By Heidi Turner (May-8-10)
- BP Oil Spill Could Affect Eastern Seaboard By Lucy Campbell (May-4-10)
- Oil Accidents Claim One Worker Every 45 Days By Gordon Gibb (May-4-10)
- Gulf Oil Spill Damaging Lives and Livelihoods By Lucy Campbell (May-3-10)
- Oil Spill Could Be Environmental Disaster By Heidi Turner (Apr-23-10)
- 11 People Missing in Gulf Oil Rig Explosion By Lucy Campbell (Apr-21-10)