LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Birth Control Legal News Articles & Interviews
July 24, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Bayer says it will no longer sell Essure in the U.S. due to decline in sales. Bayer doesn’t say, however, that its decision comes after the FDA threatened the drug giant with civil and criminal penalties if it didn’t warn patients about adverse Essure side effects.Read [ Essure’s Shelf Life in the US Soon to Expire ]
March 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
York, PA: Last month a group of women, including "Essure Problems" Facebook representatives and Madris Tomes from Device Events, met with FDA chief Scott Gottlieb in an attempt to have the Essure sterilization device withdrawn from the U.S. market. At the meeting, Tomes presented data from the FDA's own MAUDE ((Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience) database that the FDA and their legal counsel in attendance were seemingly unaware of. One would think the FDA may be embarrassed being caught off-guard like this, to say the least.Read [ "Essure Problems" Women Bring FDA's Data to Meeting that FDA were Unaware Of ]
February 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC. Essure critics last week met with FDA chief Scott Gottlieb to discuss problems with the sterilization device, particularly Bayer's failure to warn of Essure's serious complications. But Gottlieb said they need to wait for Bayer to finish its safety study - in 2023! Perhaps those critics should have brought to the meeting lawyers, guns and money.Read [ More Pressure to Withdraw Essure ]
January 4, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Jefferson City, MO:A St. Louis Circuit Judge in 2016 ruled that an Essure lawsuit filed by 92 women against Bayer could proceed in Missouri, but now that may not be the case. All the plaintiffs claimed they suffered injuries after having the permanent birth control device implanted, and they contended that Bayer is subject to jurisdiction in this state because it does business, generates revenue and conducts marketing for Essure in Missouri.Read [ Court Rules in Favor of Essure Contraceptive Device Maker ]
December 30, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Toronto, ON. Nickey followed her doctor’s orders, and the Mirena manufacturer’s orders: five years after the IUD was implanted, she made an appointment to have it removed. But it wasn’t that easy. Next month will be the fourth, and she hopes final, attempt to have all of the birth control device removed from her uterus.Read [ “I want this Mirena IUD out, over and done with.” ]
“Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group
December 5, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Moline, IL: To give some idea of the damage Essure has done, Amanda’s support group—Essure Problems-- has grown from 250 women when she joined to over 35,000 members. “We have physicians visit our Facebook page, telling us they once implanted the device and are now trying to perfect their removal technique,” she says.Read [ “Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group ]
November 9, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Oakland, CA: The next twelve months will be critical for Mirena IUS (Intrauterine System) contraceptive plaintiffs currently engaged in a Multi-District Litigation lawsuit against Bayer alleging the hormone coated device leads to an intracranial condition with the potential to cause permanent blindness in some users.Read [ Lawsuit Alleges Hormone Coated Mirena IUD Can Lead to Blindness ]
November 8, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Decatur, IL: Litigation involving Essure is taking its toll on Bayer. In less than a year, the permanent birth control device manufacturer has seen lawsuits more than double, and it has been removed from every global market, except in the U.S.Read [ Bayer Reports Spike in Essure Lawsuits and Congress Questions FDA ]
November 5, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: A Mirena side effects lawsuit filed late last month accuses the manufacturer of the popular IUD of not doing enough to warn consumers about the potential for pseudotumor cerebri, or PTC, associated with the long-term birth control device. According to Court records the plaintiff has suffered from vision problems and a build-up of fluid since acquiring the device.Read [ Mirena IUD Lawsuit Alleges Grievous Mirena IUD Side Effects ]
October 10, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Richmond, VA: Bayer has stopped selling its Essure outside of the U.S. citing “lack of interest” and “commercial reasons”. But those reasons may not be quite accurate. Many countries have banned the permanent sterilization device due to product and safety concerns. So, why is it safe for women in America?Read [ Bayer Bans Essure Outside US, Is FDA Lagging? ]
- Bayer Pulls Essure Birth Control Device From All Countries Except US By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-17)
- New Jersey Woman Files Mirena Lawsuit Alleging Blurred Vision By Gordon Gibb (Sep-4-17)
- Why Mirena IUD implants are on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-17)
- Women Speak Out About Essure Health Problems By Lucy Campbell (Jul-31-17)
- Essure Sales Decline as Complaints Increase and ObGyn Tips for Removal By Jane Mundy (Jul-13-17)
- Pregnant with Mirena IUD By Jane Mundy (Jul-1-17)
- Essure Banned in Another Country, Essure Victim in US wants it Banned Worldwide By Jane Mundy (Jun-15-17)
- Attorney Max Kennerly Takes Sides against Essure By Brenda Craig (May-18-17)
- Mounting Essure Lawsuits Amount to Decline in Bayer’s Sales By Jane Mundy (Apr-10-17)
- Brazil Recalls Essure and Note to Bayer: Share the Knowledge By Jane Mundy (Mar-20-17)
- Essure or Hysterectomy—the Latter May Be Preferable By Jane Mundy (Feb-27-17)
- Essure: Women Helping Women By Jane Mundy (Jan-13-17)
- Essure Injury Lawsuits Moving Forward By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-16)
- Essure Contraceptive Gets Black Box Warning By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-16)
- Good News for Essure Plaintiffs By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-16)
- Essure California Lawsuits Open Floodgates? By Jane Mundy (Oct-19-16)
- FDA and Essure: Rest Un-Assured until 2023 By Jane Mundy (Sep-17-16)
- Mirena MDL Over? By Jane Mundy (Aug-23-16)
- Essure Cases Get the Go Ahead in California By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-16)
- Essure Good News and Bad News, from California to Connecticut By Jane Mundy (Aug-5-16)
- Essure Cases Can Proceed in California By Lucy Campbell (Aug-5-16)
- Two Mirena Migrations and “Mirena Crash” By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-16)
- Gynecologist No Longer Implanting Essure By Jane Mundy (Jul-3-16)
- Can Mirena Plaintiffs Win without Expert Witnesses? By Jane Mundy (Jun-24-16)
- “From Experience I Can Tell Every Woman NOT to Get Essure” By Jane Mundy (Jun-5-16)
- More Mirena Complications By Jane Mundy (May-28-16)
- Essure No Assurance as Permanent Birth Control and Canadian Essure Class Action By Jane Mundy (May-1-16)
- Mirena Lawsuits Claim Intracranial Hypertension and Wrongful Death By Jane Mundy (Apr-24-16)
- Essure Update: Attorney and Former FDA Employee Weigh In By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-16)
- Mirena Litigation Setback for Plaintiffs By Jane Mundy (Mar-16-16)
- Stronger Warnings for Essure Not Enough By Jane Mundy (Mar-6-16)
- File Mirena Lawsuits Sooner than Later By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-16)
- Essure Victims Not Assured—Yet By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-16)
- Yasmin Death and “Lucky to Be Alive” By Jane Mundy (Feb-5-16)
- A Myriad of Mirena Side Effects By Jane Mundy (Jan-20-16)
- Essure Associated with Serious Complications By Jane Mundy (Jan-14-16)
- Regret Is One of Many Essure Side Effects By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-15)
- Mirena User Diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri By Jane Mundy (Dec-5-15)
- Yasmin Time Bomb By Jane Mundy (Dec-1-15)
- No More Sex after Essure Implant By Jane Mundy (Nov-11-15)