According to Cambridge News (12/24/12), Calvin Lock, an 11-year-old, developed SJS after taking ibuprofen. Shortly after he took the ibuprofen, Calvin developed red spots on his body. After being misdiagnosed numerous times (with chicken pox), and given more ibuprofen, Calvin was hospitalized and diagnosed with Stevens Johnson Syndrome. He was put on an IV and sent to intensive care. Calvin survived his ordeal, but had to relearn to walk.
Stevens Johnson Syndrome is a serious allergic reaction to medication that can occur at any time, even with medication that has previously been tolerated. It has been linked to a range of medications, including ibuprofen, bactrim and Ketek. Stevens Johnson Syndrome causes burn-like symptoms such as blistering all over the body and in the mucous membranes, and can attack internal organs. When the SJS rash covers more than 30 percent of the body, it is called toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN). Patients who survive their ordeal often have permanent injury, including blindness or other vision problems, scarring and internal organ damage.
READ MORE IBUPROFEN STEVENS JOHNSON SYNDROME LEGAL NEWS
Symptoms of SJS vary, but often include a skin rash that appears similar to a bull’s-eye, painful blisters on the eyes, mouth, nose or ear, redness in the eyes and persistent fever.
Lawsuits have been filed against drugmakers whose drugs have been linked to SJS and TEN. One lawsuit resulted in a $21 million jury award to the plaintiff, although the award is under appeal. In 2011, a teenage girl was awarded $10 million in her lawsuit against the maker of Children’s Motrin, which alleged she was not adequately warned about the risk of SJS or TEN. According to ABC News (06/03/11), the patient, Brianna Maya, developed seizures, has undergone multiple eye surgeries and suffers repeated infections.