Legal News Articles - Personal Injury
June 22, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
San Jose, CA: On May 20, 2018, an Acura TL driven by a 16-year-old unlicensed driver jumped a curb on Highway 101, and skidded down an embankment before it was struck by another vehicle, killing a teen passenger. One week later, on Memorial Day, a stolen car driven by a 13-year-old was fleeing San Jose police when it collided with another vehicle in a head on crash, critically injuring one passenger and harming four others. California is notorious for its high rate of uninsured drivers, resulting in a large number of California car accidents. Accidents with an uninsured driver can result in the uncertainty of whether one’s injuries and property damage will be compensated, and if so, how?Read [ Unlicensed Drivers Cause Two Recent California Car Accidents in One Week ]
June 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: The chances of a defective Takata airbag exploding and firing metal shards at you, even in a minor fender bender, increase with rising temperatures. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says many people driving unsafe cars, including Honda, Ford and Mazda, haven’t grasped the recall’s urgency.Read [ Takata Airbag Recall Heating Up ]
Study Further Links Proton Pump Inhibitors to Gastric Cancer and Conflicts with FDA study, Lawsuits to Follow
May 31, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA: A link between proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and high risk of gastric cancer isn’t new, but the results of a new study conflicts with the FDA’s mandated PPI study.Read [ Study Further Links Proton Pump Inhibitors to Gastric Cancer and Conflicts with FDA study, Lawsuits to Follow ]
Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight
May 24, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
New York, NY: Since 2017, the Trump administration has been rolling back Obama-era rules intended to protect patients from elder care neglect. Since 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, has been making rules that prevent victims of nursing home injury from bringing civil lawsuits to recover damages for neglect and abuse. Then in 2017, CMS discouraged its regional offices from fining care centers for one-time violations and issued a memo discouraging directors of state agencies from issuing daily fines for certain violations.Read [ Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight ]
April 4, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Atlanta, GA: In the past month, two more Onglyza and Kombiglyze lawsuits were filed on behalf of diabetes patients who claim the manufacturer concealed information linking the diabetes drug to an increased risk of heart failure and failed to warn about its alleged potential to cause serious heart problems.Read [ More Type 2 Diabetics add Complaints to Ongoing Onglyza Litigation ]
“The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney
March 31, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Austin, TX: By now, most everyone following the talcum powder lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson know the company is accused of failure to warn consumers about ovarian cancer risks. What they likely don’t know is that J&J isn’t required to disclose all the ingredients in their talc recipe. Attorney Mark Mueller urges the public to demand transparency…Read [ “The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney ]
March 30, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: Plaintiff Sharon Smith would be understandably buoyed by news that the surgical mesh lawsuit file currently housed in multi-district litigation in Georgia is moving forward, with the first bellwether trials expected for September of next year. While nearly 500 lawsuits are currently housed in the MDL, a continuing barrage of cases have lead observers to believe that thousands of lawsuits could wind up in the MDL by the time bellwether cases begin in 18 months’ time.Read [ Ethicon Physiomesh Bellwether Trials to Start in September, 2019 ]
IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward
March 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Indianapolis, IN: Since 2003, thousands of IVC Filters lawsuits have been filed nationwide. If you have an IVC Filter claim, however, file sooner than later: Cook Medical claims were dismissed in the current bellwether case because they were filed more than three years after the device was delivered. But thousands more cases are set for trial.Read [ IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward ]
March 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Dallas, TX: The bellwether defective hip implant lawsuits that were tried in the Northern District of Texas as part of multidistrict litigation 2244 have yielded some staggering awards for the plaintiffs. The latest Alice hip failure lawsuit ended with a $247 million award to six plaintiffs. A previous bellwether trial awarded $1.4 billion to a group of six plaintiffs, and another lawsuit ended with a $502 million jury award to five plaintiffs.Read [ The Curious Case of the Disappearing DePuy Damages ]
March 21, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Trenton, NJ: While a plaintiff having filed a recent Invokana lawsuit makes assertions pertaining to Invokana linked with cardiovascular injuries and kidney failure, it was the amputation of his right leg below the knee less than a year after starting on Invokana that ultimately prompted the plaintiff to move forward with his Invokana side effects lawsuit.Read [ Plaintiff Blames Loss of his Lower Leg to Invokana Use ]
- New Evidence Reopens Scotts Turf Builder Mesothelioma Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-18)
- Indiana Woman Wins $35 Million in Johnson & Johnson Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-18-18)
- Defective Airbag Deaths and Injuries Continue By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-18)
- Defective Hip Litigation Continues On against Zimmer, Smith & Nephew By Jane Mundy (Mar-12-18)
- Will Pennsylvania Supreme Court Hear Risperdal Time Bar Appeal? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- Last-Minute Maneuvering Underway Prior to Next Round of Xarelto Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-11-18)
- First Responders Sue after Chemical Plant Meltdown during Hurricane Harvey By Brenda Craig (Mar-9-18)
- "Essure Problems" Women Bring FDA's Data to Meeting that FDA were Unaware Of By Jane Mundy (Mar-8-18)
- Georgia Plaintiff Alleges Use of Nexium Caused Chronic Kidney Disease By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-18)
- Attorney is Hopeful Current Opioid Litigation will Pave the Way for Individual Opioid Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-3-18)
- Takata Settles with 44 States. No Dough, Though By Anne Wallace (Mar-1-18)
- Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data By Lucy Campbell (Feb-27-18)
- Deadly Onglyza Side Effects Set in Fast and Lawsuits Lumber On By Anne Wallace (Feb-25-18)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawsuit Currently Underway in New Jersey By Gordon Gibb (Feb-20-18)
- Hernia Mesh a Helluva Mess By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- First Bard IVC Filter Bellwether Lawsuit Gearing Up for March By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-18)
- EPA Now Says Monsanto Roundup 'Likely' Does Not Cause Cancer, Debate Continues By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-18)
- California Woman Slams J&J, Ethicon with 7-Count Physiomesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-18)
- More Pressure to Withdraw Essure By Jane Mundy (Feb-14-18)
- Houston, We Have a Problem with DePuy ASR Hip Replacement By Jane Mundy (Feb-13-18)
- Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers By Lucy Campbell (Feb-13-18)
- Xarelto Verdict for the Plaintiff Overturned in Bellwether Case By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-18)
- The FDA Warning Letter RE: St. Jude ICD Batteries One Year Later By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-18)
- Risperdal Patient "Never asked for Gynecomastia or Weight Gain" By Jane Mundy (Feb-9-18)
- Mother of Tasered Teen Files First Responder Misconduct Lawsuit in Texas By Gordon Gibb (Feb-5-18)
- Childhood Asthma Risk Linked to Mother’s PPI Use during Pregnancy By Anne Wallace (Feb-5-18)
- Social Worker and Mother in Recovery 30 years from Opioid Prescriptions, Son Died from Overdose By Jane Mundy (Feb-2-18)
- And Now There Are 21 Takata Airbag Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Feb-1-18)
- State of Georgia Settles Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Lone Defendant Resigns By Gordon Gibb (Jan-30-18)
- Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Case Awaits Consolidation Decision By Brenda Craig (Jan-29-18)
- DePuy Faces Yet Another Lawsuit Concerning its Attune Knee Replacement System By Gordon Gibb (Jan-28-18)
- Onglyza Litigation Ramps Up By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-18)
- Tracking Systems in the U.K Key to Care for Hip Implant Patients, But Non-Existent in the U.S. By Jane Mundy (Jan-26-18)
- Lanzo Talcum Powder Mesothelioma Toxic Tort Trial Opens in New Jersey By Anne Wallace (Jan-22-18)
- Transvaginal Mesh Collateral Damage Too High for TVM Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-18)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Plaintiff Starts New Year with Hernia Mesh Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-18-18)
- The First Bard IVC Filter Jury Trial and Expert Witness Testimony By Jane Mundy (Jan-17-18)
- Will Monsanto-Sponsored Science Poison RoundUp Lawsuits? By Anne Wallace (Jan-15-18)
- Ohio Judge in Opioid MDL Wants Solutions By Brenda Craig (Jan-15-18)
- Canadian Class Action Launched Against Defective St. Jude Cardiac Defibrillators By Gordon Gibb (Jan-13-18)