Legal News Articles - Personal Injury
May 20, 2008.
Read [ Loss of Dignity: Sum of $904,200 Awarded in Eldercare Lawsuit ]
Lake Oswego, OR A milestone settlement was awarded on Monday, May 12 in an eldercare endangerment and abuse case against eldercare giant Avamere. The lawsuit was for an incident that took place at their Lake Oswego facility, The Pearl. The jury in this case awarded a record sum of $904,200 in a verdict believed to be the highest award ruled by an Oregon jury in an eldercare abuse case. The incident took place in April of 2006.
May 19, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ One More Tractor-Trailer Related Fatality ]
Bath County, KT Yet another fatal semi-tractor trailer accident took place early one morning in May--on Interstate 64, adding to the growing number of fatalities that occur ever year on American roads.
May 15, 2008. By Paul Halpern.
Lenexa, Kansas: In his thirty-year legal career, Michael Hodges says, "We've done virtually every kind of damages case you can think of, but in the last four or five years, we've done mainly mass torts and class actions." That includes joining in multiple class actions filed recently against Avent America, Evenflo, Gerber, Handi-Craft (Dr. Brown's), and Playtex for their continued use of Bisphenol A (BPA) in the manufacture of baby bottles and toddler training cups.Read [ Attorney Michael L. Hodges on BPA Class Action ]
May 14, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Eight-Car Accident in Boston Rush Hour ]
Boston, MA A 38 Year-old man with a long history of traffic violations put two people in hospital this month, when he lost control of his vehicle, in what would become a bizarre truck accident. At about 7:30 in the morning Timothy Newton was driving a New England Delivery box truck carrying highly flammable medical supplies bound for Franciscan Children's Hospital, when he lost control of the vehicle.
May 13, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma: From the Shop Floor to Hollywood ]
Charleston, WV He may have lived half the world away in England, but Ken Myring died from a horrid disease that can root out anyone, anywhere - and asbestos exposure is almost always the cause of asbestos mesothelioma. Myring lost his brief battle and died in December at the age of 82, and now his widow is searching for his former coworkers.
May 13, 2008. By Ginger Gillenwater.
Read [ Man Files First Lawsuit in Casa Fiesta Salmonella Outbreak ]
Norwalk, OH After eating at Casa Fiesta on April 25, 2008, a man became very ill with Salmonella poisoning. The man, Kody Dewitt, has filed a lawsuit seeking compensation for medical bills and hardships that equal over $25,000. The lawsuit has been filed in Huron County Common Pleas Court and follows an Ohio Department of Health investigation into 25 other confirmed Salmonella cases that have been traced back to Casa Fiesta.
May 8, 2008.
Read [ Arguments Begin Over 2001 Anthrax Death ]
Tallahassee FL On May 5, 2008, lawyers told a Florida Supreme Court that the government and a particular laboratory are not obligated under state law to protect the public from materials that are lethal. This claim comes as a result of a lawsuit filed by the widow of a tabloid photo editor who died of anthrax exposure in 2001.
May 6, 2008.
Read [ Parents of Teen Killed in Bus Crash Sue ]
Falmouth, KY While riding in a school bus on May 1, 2008, eleven students were taken by surprise when a dump truck struck their bus. This resulted in the death of 16-year-old Daniel Wood and caused minor injuries amongst the others. Now the parents of the boy killed in the accident have filed a lawsuit against the driver of the dump truck and the trucking company.
May 5, 2008.
Read [ Jury Selection Begins in Plane Crash Lawsuit ]
Marshfield, WI Before the jury selection had began in a lawsuit involving a September 2001 plane crash, settlements involving two of the defendants were made public. The first was between the defendants and Aero Aviation, which is a manufacturer of airplane parts. The settlement amount was for $100,000. The second was with Duffy's Aircraft Sales and Leasing.
May 2, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Chicago L-Station Nightmare ]
Chicago IL: Rush hour, downtown Chicago, on a Friday afternoon - the perfect setting for a major truck accident. And that's just what happened on Friday, April 25, 2008, when a renegade tractor-trailer rig plowed into the Cermak/Chinatown Chicago Transit Authority L-station killing two women and injuring a further 21 innocent bystanders.
- Chicago Fire Settlement Reaches $100 Million (May-1-08)
- Three People Die in Arizona Plane Crash By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-08)
- Lawsuit Filed 10 Years after Limousine Crash (Apr-29-08)
- Father Died from Mesothelioma By Jane Mundy (Apr-29-08)
- Back Injury Sustained in Car Accident Man Sues (Apr-27-08)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit is Pending Due to Death of Dropped Resident Who was Refused Care (Apr-27-08)
- Attorney Joseph H. Saunders on Toxic Contamination and Medical Device Law By Paul Halpern (Apr-25-08)
- Officer Runs Red Light, Woman Sues (Apr-24-08)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against SamTrans (Apr-23-08)
- Mechanic's Diagnosis: Mesothelioma By Jane Mundy (Apr-23-08)
- Deaths of Two People in Truck Accident Could Have Been Avoided By Lucy Campbell (Apr-23-08)
- Attorney Steve Estep On Sports, Entertainment, and Securities Litigation By Paul Halpern (Apr-23-08)
- Toy Emulating CSI Shown to Contain Cancer Causing Asbestos Material (Apr-18-08)
- Wrongful Death Suits Skyrocket as Nail Gun Injuries Escalate (Apr-17-08)
- Attorney Brian J. Glick on Insurance, Medical Malpractice, and Medical Device Liability By Paul Halpern (Apr-15-08)
- Endoscopy Center: A Seventh Hepatitis C Victim By Gordon Gibb (Apr-11-08)
- Work Crew "Ate Asbestos for Breakfast" By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-08)
- $30.3 million Jury Verdict for Mesothelioma Victims (Apr-8-08)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Driver with Diabetic Reaction Underway (Apr-7-08)
- Family of Plane Crash Victim Sues Pilot (Apr-6-08)
- Forty Years Working with Asbestos By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-08)
- From Diagnosis to Treatment, The Mesothelioma Journey By Julia Browne (Apr-5-08)
- Landlord Sued for Death of Infant in 2007 Apartment Fire (Apr-2-08)
- Attorney C. Wes Pittman on Product Liability and Sexual Harassment in Florida Prisons By Paul Halpern (Apr-1-08)
- Tracking Down a Cure for Mesothelioma By Julia Browne (Apr-1-08)
- Asbestos Fall-Out after 9/11 By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-08)
- Wrongful Death Suit Granted Retrial (Mar-30-08)
- Attorney Stuart N. Ratzan on a Challenge to Florida's Medical Negligence Cap By Paul Halpern (Mar-28-08)
- Boeing Sued by Air Force Pilot for Jet Breakup (Mar-28-08)
- Stuart Ratzan Wins $8.8 Million Verdict in Medical Malpractice Case against Southern Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville (Mar-27-08)
- Philadelphia Lawyers Win $16 Million Verdict in Syracuse, New York Medical Malpractice Case (Mar-26-08)
- Asbestos: One Man's Story By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-08)
- Oprah Faces Personal Injury Lawsuit (Mar-25-08)
- Asbestos Victim Given Last Rites By Jane Mundy (Mar-25-08)
- Kid Rock Faces Battery Lawsuit (Mar-24-08)
- No Signal Protection for Railroad Workers Cause for Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority Accident (Mar-22-08)
- Providence, RI Railroad Worker Loses Life by Amtrak Train (Mar-19-08)
- Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit (Mar-19-08)
- Mechanic's Diagnosis: Mesothelioma By Jane Mundy (Mar-19-08)
- Man Survives Plane Crash, Fights Insurer in Court By Anita Black (Mar-18-08)