Legal News Articles - Financial
June 16, 2014. By Mark Bello.
A day doesn’t go by where we don’t hear about a personal injury due mainly to the negligence of someone else. Sadly, many victims will never seek justice due to financial constraints; they are not familiar with the lawsuit funding industry or how to obtain a lawsuit cash advance. Lawsuit funding buys a plaintiff time by providing emergency cash when needed most, and levels the playing field to wait for a fair settlement. Whether called lawsuit funding, litigation financing, pre-settlement funding or lawsuit loan, Mark Bello, founder and CEO of Lawsuit Financial, has created a six-step process that helps victims understand how lawsuit funding can benefit their case.Read [ Simple, Six-Step Process to Lawsuit Funding ]
June 15, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Internet Payday Lender May Owe As Much As $20 Million to Consumers ]
New York, NY An Internet payday lender that fell under the weight of state lawsuits, in spite of claims of immunity under Indian tribe status, may, in tandem with its service partner, owe New Yorkers caught up in the online payday loan snare upwards of $20 million in excessive interest.
June 11, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Attorney: Excessive Overdraft Fees “Not the Fault of the Customer” ]
New York, NY Customers who have paid excessive bank overdraft fees may not realize right away that their transactions have been reordered. In fact, many customers may not realize they are paying excessive bank fees until they hear about their bank reordering transactions for other customers. Stephen Fearon, attorney at Squitieri & Fearon in New York, says lawsuits are being filed against banks that allegedly reordered customer transactions to generate profit without telling customers they would do so.
June 3, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Overdraft fees lawsuits allege that banks and financial institutions charge excessive overdraft fees to consumers and further that the banks reorder credits and debits to push customers into their overdraft, increasing the fees they can charge.Read [ Following Suit: Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Update ]
June 3, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum and Its Internal Appeals Process ]
Dallas, TX Lydia was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and applied for long-term disability benefits through Unum, or Unum Provident, her health insurance provider. She received benefits for a year before Unum abruptly cut her off, without warning.
June 1, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Bad Faith Insurance: Appeals Can Work ]
Los Angeles, CA Anyone who has dealt with wrongly denied disability claims or issues of bad faith insurance knows how frustrating the insurance system can be. They know the frustration of being told their insurance claim has been denied, of trying to find out why it was denied and of appealing the denial. The good news, however, is that a surprising number of people are successful on appealing their denial - an indication that too many people are denied right away and that the appeals system helps correct the problem.
New Jersey Court Grants Class Certification And Clears Suit For Trial In Consumer Fraud Act Case Against For-Profit School Star
May 29, 2014. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ New Jersey Court Grants Class Certification And Clears Suit For Trial In Consumer Fraud Act Case Against For-Profit School Star ]
Camden, NJ; May 28, 2014 (Press Release) Today Camden County Superior Court Judge Anthony M. Pugliese granted Class Certification in a case brought by a graduate of for-profit school Star Career Academy’s Surgical Technology Program, and in a separate ruling cleared the case for trial.
May 27, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ To Overturn Denied Disability Insurance, Vigilance Is Key ]
Los Angeles, CA It seems apparent that the primary modus operandi for most insurance carriers is to deny insurance claims as a default, expecting that policyholders will appeal the denial and fight for their benefits. An earlier article by LawyersandSettlements.com’s Heidi Turner noted that many policyholders tend to throw in the towel at the first stage of denial, when in actual fact a California ERISA denied claim - either out of sheer meanness or a legitimate reason such as incorrect or incomplete data - can just be the first stage in a lengthy process that will often result in benefits following a protracted negotiation.
May 22, 2014. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ The White Knight of the Wired World ]
Seattle, WA Danger lurks in the wired world and consumers have only a vague notion of just how treacherous the Internet has become, according to Craig Spiezle, a former Microsoft executive turned white knight of the wired world determined to protect consumers and the integrity of the Internet and the viability of the “wired economy.”
May 22, 2014. By Mark Bello.
When a loved one is seriously injured or dies due to a medical error, the victim (or his/her surviving family members) may be entitled to compensation. An experience medical malpractice attorney can evaluate the circumstances and determine whether the victim has a viable case. After a lawsuit is filed, the time between the lawsuit and settlement can stretch over years - time that is financially difficult for many plaintiffs. When the ability to wait for compensation is not an option, pre-settlement lawsuit funding may be.Read [ Pre-Settlement Lawsuit Funding Is a Financial Lifeline for Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs ]
- Pre-Settlement Funding to Avoid Financial Ruin in Your Auto Accident Case By Mark Bello (May-16-14)
- Credit and Debit Card Companies Aiding the Fight against Predatory Internet Pay Loans By Gordon Gibb (May-14-14)
- California Denied Insurance: Appeals Frequently Successful By Heidi Turner (May-13-14)
- Target CEO Steps Down in Wake of Data Breach By Gordon Gibb (May-11-14)
- Disability Insurance Presents Issues for Some Policyholders By Heidi Turner (May-7-14)
- Teacher with Debilitating Injuries Twice Denied Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-14)
- Filling the Financial Gap with Pre-Settlement Lawsuit Funding By Mark Bello (Apr-30-14)
- Number of Data Breach Incidents Expected to Grow By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-14)
- Homeowners and Regulators Take Action against Force-Placed Insurance Companies By Heidi Turner (Apr-26-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Accused of Charging Minnesotans Predatory Interest Rates By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-14)
- U.S. Citizens with Assets in Foreign Bank Accounts Seeking Help from Attorneys to Avoid Huge Financial Sanctions By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-21-14)
- Judge Finds Insurer Guilty of Bad Faith By Heidi Turner (Apr-20-14)
- Following Suit: Student Loan Lawsuit Update By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-14)
- “I’d Rather Pay an Attorney Than the Hospital for ER Overcharges” By Jane Mundy (Apr-3-14)
- Litigation Funding Eliminates Financial Stress By Mark Bello (Apr-3-14)
- Can Unum Demand Payback? By Jane Mundy (Apr-2-14)
- Keeping Track of a Bad Faith Insurance Claim By Heidi Turner (Mar-29-14)
- Landmark Ruling Threatens Internet Payday Loan Loophole By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-14)
- Pre-Settlement Funding Provides Financial Stress Relief By Mark Bello (Mar-14-14)
- US Attorney General Seeks National Standard for Data Breach Disclosure By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-14)
- Disability Claimants: Unum May Be Watching, Listening or Hacking By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-14)
- Woman Awarded $873,000 in Disability Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Mar-6-14)
- Hounded by Swedish Medical Center for ER Overcharges Payment By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-14)
- WW II Veteran Denied Disability Insurance for 28 Long Years By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-14)
- Banks Accused of Aiding and Abetting Predatory Internet Payday Loans By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-14)
- Sneak Peek of the Lawsuit Funding Process By Mark Bello (Feb-13-14)
- Victim: “Get an Attorney before ER Overcharges Bankrupt You” By Jane Mundy (Feb-12-14)
- Following Suit: Data Breach Updates By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-14)
- Plaintiff Has Had His Fill of Unwanted Fingerhut Telephone Calls By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-14)
- California PTSD Sufferer Denied Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-14)
- Lawsuits Mounting in Target Data Breach Case By Heidi Turner (Feb-8-14)
- The Debate Over the Cost of Cyber Theft By Brenda Craig (Feb-7-14)
- Unum Still Denying Fibromyalgia but Unum Loses Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-14)
- Single Mom Takes on Banking Giant in Force-Placed Insurance Bank Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Feb-2-14)
- Courts Slow to Understand Data Breaches By Brenda Craig (Jan-31-14)
- ER Overcharges for Services Not Rendered By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-14)
- Michaels “Possible” Data Breach By Jane Mundy (Jan-25-14)
- Lawsuit Funding Pays Medical and Funeral Expenses to Avoid Early Settlement By Mark Bello (Jan-23-14)
- Veterans Denied Disability Insurance and Treatment May Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jan-22-14)
- More Stores Affected in Target Data Breach; Lawsuits Investigated By Heidi Turner (Jan-19-14)