Legal News Articles - Environment
July 9, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ CEO Lynch Out, Fortunes Continue to Fall for Lumber Liquidators ]
Toano, VA The optics were never good from the beginning. They never are, when the venerable CBS investigative unit 60 Minutes comes knocking at your door. That said, the optics keep going from bad to worse with the recent and abrupt resignation of Lumber Liquidators’ CEO in late spring. The resignation came just two weeks after announcing that the company was suspending sales of Lumber Liquidators toxic flooring sourced from China.
July 5, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Plaintiff Awarded $6 Million in Asbestos Lawsuit ]
Moore, OK A plaintiff who filed asbestos lawsuits against more than 10 companies has been awarded $6 million. Michael Dalier filed lawsuits against the companies after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Although the award was only made against two companies, and did not include punitive damages, the jury still awarded Dalier millions of dollars.
June 20, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study: More Than 10,000 Americans Killed by Asbestos Every Year ]
Washington, DC An analysis from the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Action Fund suggests that as many as 15,000 Americans die every year due to asbestos exposure. Workers exposed to asbestos through drilling mud, construction materials and a host of other products are at an increased risk of asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer.
June 17, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Does Your Laminate Flooring Have Too Much Formaldehyde? ]
Boston, MA As more Lumber Liquidators lawsuits are filed, a multidistrict litigation has been set up in Virginia. Meanwhile, the company has announced that it will stop the sale of certain products. The announcement comes after an announcement that Lumber Liquidators faces possible criminal charges from the US Department of Justice, and was shortly followed with an announcement of the resignation of the company's CEO, Robert Lynch.
June 12, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Another Asbestos Laundry Death: Children Continue Wrongful Death Asbestos Lawsuit ]
New Orleans, LA An asbestos mesothelioma lawsuit currently winding its way through a Louisiana federal court is minus one claim after a federal judge granted partial summary judgment to the defendant(s) and tossed a claim made by the plaintiffs for mental anguish. A host of remaining claims, however, are still at play.
June 6, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Attorney Discusses RICO Lawsuit Involving Governor and Oil Companies: California’s “Water-Gate” ]
Bakersfield, CA Just when you think the water situation in California can’t get much worse, fracking in Kern County has resulted in contaminated water that has so far killed one plaintiff’s cherry orchard. A RICO lawsuit filed two days ago claims that Governor Jerry Brown’s office ordered the California Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources (DOGGR) to approve permits to inject contaminated water, which violates the Safe Drinking Water Act.
“The potential impact to our food supply and water supply is enormous,” says attorney Patricia Oliver.
June 3, 2015. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ Kern County Group Files RICO Lawsuit Against Governor and Oil Companies ]
Los Angeles (June 3, 2015) (Press Release) The Committee to Protect Agricultural Water, a citizen organization comprised of farmers and individuals concerned about California’s drinking water, filed a civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) complaint in Federal Court. The RICO Complaint alleges that Governor Jerry Brown’s office ordered the California Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources (“DOGGR”) to approve permits to inject contaminated water in violation of the Safe Drinking Water Act.
May 28, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ In Some Asbestosis Lawsuits, It’s Never Too Late ]
Philadelphia, PA Proof positive that it’s never too late for plaintiffs seeking asbestosis compensation, the Third Circuit earlier this month mandated a district court in Pennsylvania to revisit a ruling in an asbestosis lawsuit that originally went against the plaintiffs in the late 1990s. The thrust of the ruling is that the plaintiffs’ original claims alleging asbestosis diseases should be revisited given that the plaintiffs developed lung cancer later on.
May 19, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Another Month, Another 300 Syngenta Lawsuits ]
Topeka, KS In only one month, the number of Syngenta lawsuits has reportedly grown by 300, to almost 1,800 GMO corn seed lawsuits. That jump in the number of Agrisure Viptera and Agrisure Duracade lawsuits reflects anger on the part of farmers, who say they were sold products that cannot be exported to China.
May 11, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Syngenta Lawsuits Continue to Grow ]
Kansas City, KS The number of Syngenta Lawsuits emerging from the Syngenta GMO Corn Seed debacle involving rejected shipments from China is demonstrative of the ordinarily harsh realities of farming. It’s a tough life, exposed as one is to drought, floods, pests and other natural disasters. Oddly enough, Syngenta genetically modified seed is designed to repel pests and help make a farmer’s life a bit easier. But allegedly jumping the gun on China’s acceptance of the GMO trait had the opposite effect.
- Woman Wins $12 Million Asbestos Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-9-15)
- Almost 1,500 Lawsuits Involved in Syngenta MDL By Heidi Turner (May-4-15)
- From Bad to Worse for Lumber Liquidators Toxic Flooring By Gordon Gibb (May-1-15)
- Defending America’s Bread Basket and American-Grown Corn By Gordon Gibb (Apr-29-15)
- Teacher Asbestos Lawsuit Filed in Europe By Heidi Turner (Apr-24-15)
- New Class-Action Lumber Liquidators Formaldehyde Lawsuit Targets Test Kits By Gordon Gibb (Apr-17-15)
- Defendants in Syngenta Lawsuits Pushing for Federal Jurisdiction By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-15)
- Lumber Liquidators Not Floored? By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-15)
- Corn Farmers Case against Syngenta’s GMOs Could Take Years By Brenda Craig (Mar-27-15)
- Did Jumping the Gun Kill a Market and Sow the Seeds of Discontent? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-24-15)
- Fracking Linked to Adrenal Problems By Jane Mundy (Mar-24-15)
- Study: Naturally Occurring Asbestos Poses a Risk By Heidi Turner (Feb-18-15)
- Asbestos Lawsuit Granted Reprieve by Appeals Court By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-15)
- $358M Asbestos Settlement Announced By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-15)
- The Ongoing Asbestosis Legacy of Ambler, PA By Gordon Gibb (Dec-28-14)
- New York State to Permanently Ban Hydraulic Fracturing in 2015 By Gordon Gibb (Dec-22-14)
- Researchers: Possible Link between IPF and Asbestosis By Heidi Turner (Sep-26-14)
- Study: People Who Live Near Fracking Sites More Likely to Report Health Problems By Heidi Turner (Sep-24-14)
- Family Farm Suing Over Pollution of Fresh Water Supply in the San Joaquin Valley By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-22-14)
- Fracking Lawsuit Based on Nuisance Dismissed By Jane Mundy (Aug-18-14)
- Secret Research Conducted into Asbestos Diseases By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-14)
- New Earthquake-Fracking Lawsuits? By Jane Mundy (Jul-6-14)
- Asbestos Drilling Mud: When the Mud Is Deadly By Heidi Turner (Jun-14-14)
- Fracking—the Great Divide By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-14)
- Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Could Result in Separate Lawsuits for Same Person By Heidi Turner (May-24-14)
- Fracking Verdict Positive News for People Sickened by Fracking Contamination By Jane Mundy (May-20-14)
- Australian Driller Takes Asbestos Drilling Mud Very Seriously By Gordon Gibb (May-12-14)
- Texas Family Wins Landmark $3 Million Verdict Against Fracking Operator By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-29-14)
- Residents Near Bridgeton Landfill to Receive Settlement for Noxious Odors, Underground Fire By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-21-14)
- Ohio Links Fracking to Earthquakes By Heidi Turner (Apr-21-14)
- New Asbestosis Disease Lawsuit Filed in California By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-14)
- Is Fracking Linked to Earthquakes? By Heidi Turner (Mar-18-14)
- Drilling Mud Engineers Seek Compensation in Drilling Mud Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-14)
- Asbestos Lawsuit Plaintiff Says Asbestos Concern Fell on Deaf Ears By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-14)
- Asbestosis Lawsuits Complicated for Plaintiffs By Heidi Turner (Feb-28-14)
- Fracking Leads to Cracks in Home Foundation and Water Contamination By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-14)
- Asbestos Drilling Mud Exposure a Concern Decades Later By Heidi Turner (Feb-21-14)
- Will 2013 Demolition Result in Asbestos Cancer Claims in the Future? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-7-14)
- Family of Asbestosis Disease Victim Receives Two Sets of Awards By Gordon Gibb (Jan-30-14)
- What You Don’t Know Can’t Hurt You? Tell That to Drilling Mud Victims By Gordon Gibb (Jan-21-14)