Legal News Articles - Employment
May 15, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Plaintiffs in Texas Employment Lawsuit Settle “Souper” Wage Dispute ]
Carrolton, TX A nationally recognized and well-known restaurant chain with roots in Texas has been hit with a Texas Employment class-action lawsuit alleging that tipped workers have been underpaid, a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other statutes.
May 15, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Boeing Faces ERISA Suit Linked to Autism Coverage ]
Los Angeles, CA A class-action lawsuit has been filed against The Boeing Co., alleging the company violated ERISA laws by not including certain coverage for autistic dependents. The lawsuit alleges Boeing breached its fiduciary duties under ERISA benefits laws by refusing to include specific autism therapy in its coverage.
May 14, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Credit and Debit Card Companies Aiding the Fight against Predatory Internet Pay Loans ]
New York, NY In its fight against illegal Internet payday loans, the state of New York scored a major victory when two of the biggest players in plastic agreed to halt the processing of Internet payday loan transactions that violate state laws.
May 13, 2014. By The National Trial Lawyers.
Austin, Texas - After three years of litigation, which culminated in a highly contentious two week trial, a Travis County jury awarded a software salesman $11.6 million on May 7 against Microsoft Corporation.Read [ Microsoft Hit with $11.6M Verdict for Wrongful Termination of Star Salesman ]
May 9, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Staples Subsidiary Hit with Off-the-Clock Work Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA An oft-cited lawsuit in the world of egress/regress and off the clock work is the Amazon action that saw a vast collection of employees working at Amazon’s sprawling sort facilities crying foul over having to line up for bag checks and other forms of security, allegedly on their own time. However, Amazon is not the only alleged offender in this legal arena.
May 6, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Strippers and Health Care Workers File California Overtime Lawsuits ]
San Diego, CA Strippers and Health Care Workers had something in common last month: they both filed California overtime lawsuits - just in time for International Workers’ Day.
April 30, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Texas Wage and Hour Lawsuits ]
Dallas, TX Texas employment lawsuits include allegations about wage and hour violations, meaning employers are allegedly not paying their employees the minimum wage required by Texas labor law or not properly paying overtime as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
April 26, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Social Worker Takes on California Hospitals in Overtime Pay Class Action ]
Los Angeles, CA A social worker likely never imagined she would one day serve as the lead plaintiff in a proposed class-action overtime pay lawsuit in California, and in so doing championing the cause on behalf of others similarly affected. But that’s what happened when Beauchamp signed on with the proposed class action against Prime Healthcare Centinela LLC (Prime Healthcare).
April 25, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Internet Payday Lender Accused of Charging Minnesotans Predatory Interest Rates ]
Ramsey County, MN An Internet payday lender that attempted to duck behind the protective shield of the Dormant Commerce Clause of the US Constitution, will have that cloak yanked away following a decision by the Court of Appeals.
April 19, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Withholding Paychecks a Violation of California Overtime ]
Van Nuys, CA Juan, age 18, has been working full-time since finishing high school to help support his family. He has asked why everyone in the warehouse has to wait up to three hours every Friday for their paychecks, which Juan believes is a violation of the California overtime law. But the answer is,
“If you don’t like it, you can quit.”
- Texas Employment Lawsuit Alleges Wage and Hour Infractions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-16-14)
- DOL Forces Advisor to Pay for ERISA Violations By Heidi Turner (Apr-15-14)
- Hollywood Faces More Overtime Complaints By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-14)
- Tyson Foods Off-the-Clock Work Settlement Is Approved at Nearly $19 Million By Gordon Gibb (Apr-4-14)
- Feds Stick Up for the Little Guy and Ohio Employee Rights By Gordon Gibb (Apr-3-14)
- Minor Leaguers Accuse MLB of Not Playing Ball in Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-28-14)
- Landmark Ruling Threatens Internet Payday Loan Loophole By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-14)
- McDonald’s the Latest Corporation to Face California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Mar-21-14)
- Are Many ERISA Plans Being Run Improperly? By Heidi Turner (Mar-12-14)
- What Assemblyman Fox Has in Common with Chipotle Restaurant: California Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-10-14)
- Supreme Court to Hear Unpaid Wages Claim By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-14)
- $3.2 Million Settlement in California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-28-14)
- Unpaid Wages Lawsuits Filed against Call Centers By Heidi Turner (Feb-19-14)
- Banks Accused of Aiding and Abetting Predatory Internet Payday Loans By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-14)
- Employee Appealing to Florida Labor Law in Wrongful Termination By Jane Mundy (Feb-15-14)
- Misclassification Attempts to Avoid California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Feb-8-14)
- Excessive Fees ERISA Lawsuit Filed against Fidelity By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-14)
- The Untold Super Bowl Story: All the Super Bowl Lawsuits... By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-14)
- Giving and Taking Away Travel Time Violates California Overtime Laws By Jane Mundy (Jan-29-14)
- Denied New York Overtime a Real Problem for Reality TV Writers, Producers By Gordon Gibb (Jan-27-14)
- Pizza Business Sued for Violations of Ohio Employment Laws By Heidi Turner (Jan-23-14)
- “My Supervisor Was the King of Bullies,” Says California Computer Technician By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-14)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Settled for $4.7 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jan-18-14)
- Internet Payday Loan Lawsuit Filed Just before Christmas By Gordon Gibb (Jan-17-14)
- Paramedic Takes on Ambulance Service in Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-14)
- Appeals Court Rules California Overtime Lawsuit Can Go Ahead As Class Action By Heidi Turner (Jan-7-14)
- Supreme Court Sides with Plan in ERISA Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-3-14)
- New California Overtime Laws Set to Take Effect in 2014 By Heidi Turner (Dec-28-13)
- Restaurant Lawsuit Could Have Implications for Overtime Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-23-13)
- Unpaid Wages Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-20-13)
- How About an Internet Payday Loan at 5,853 Percent Annual Interest? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-13)
- Best Buy Loses in Bid to Dismiss Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Dec-12-13)
- Allegedly Owed Ohio Overtime Could Extend Back Three Years By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-13)
- ERISA Lawsuit Results in $99 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (Dec-1-13)
- Exploited Workers Awarded Millions of Dollars in California Overtime and Other Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Nov-30-13)
- Idaho Cracking Down on Internet Payday Loans By Gordon Gibb (Nov-29-13)
- Two California Restaurants Fined Almost Two Million for Violations By Gordon Gibb (Nov-24-13)
- Workers Sue Employer for Off-the-Clock Work By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-13)
- Washington Overtime Lawsuit Filed against Les Schwab By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-13)
- Urban Outfitters Faces California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Nov-12-13)