Legal News Articles - Employment
July 19, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Overtime and Wage Violations Seen in Unlikely Places ]
Cleveland, OH When it comes to Ohio overtime and wage violations, one can be forgiven for thinking that the majority of culprits are businesses looking to save a dollar or two by not properly paying their employees. But as a recent Ohio overtime lawsuit recently in the news shows, even governments can get the law wrong. Meanwhile, Major League Baseball faces a lawsuit alleging it doesn’t properly pay its minor league players.
LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Attorney Roy Pollack About The Recent Microsoft Wrongful Termination Lawsuit Decision
July 16, 2014. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Attorney Roy Pollack About The Recent Microsoft Wrongful Termination Lawsuit Decision ]
After a drawn-out legal battle in Texas, a decision for the plaintiff was returned by the jury in the Microsoft wrongful termination lawsuit. LawyersandSettlements.com recently interviewed one of the plaintiff’s attorneys, Roy Pollack, to learn more about the case.Austin, TX (July 16, 2014):
July 14, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Overtime Law Applies to Group Homes ]
Los Angeles, CA As Felix can attest, it pays to know your rights and act upon them when it involves California overtime law.
July 11, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Is Your Internet Payday Loan Provider Legal Where You Live? ]
New York, NY It’s little wonder that more and more consumers strapped for cash and turning to the online payday loan industry for help, soon turn to a payday loan lawyer. That’s due to the number of online payday loans that are illegal: they are not licensed in the state to which their marketing is directed, and from which loans are sourced.
July 6, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Supreme Court Rejects Presumption of Prudence in ERISA Lawsuits ]
Washington, DC In ERISA stock drop lawsuits, a common allegation is that the ERISA plan fiduciary has failed to act prudently by investing plan assets in company stock. Plaintiffs argue that their employee stock plan or savings plan assets would have been more prudently invested in other stock. One of the defenses to that claim is that unless the company is in particularly bad times - such as bankruptcy - the fiduciary is believed to have acted prudently by investing in company stock.
July 1, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Plaintiffs in Texas Lawsuit Seek Pay for Riding Company Bus ]
Beaumont, TX A large number of Texas-based employees associated with RMF Nooter Inc. are unhappy with their employer with regard to a lack of compensation for travel time, and are participating in a class-action lawsuit citing violations to Texas Employment and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
June 30, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California Labor Lawsuit Filed by Caregivers ]
San Francisco, CA A California labor lawsuit has been filed by caregivers who allege their employer violated California labor law and federal labor law by denying them proper wages, breaks and overtime pay.
June 28, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Petco’s Motion to Dismiss Overtime Pay Claim Denied ]
Oakland, CA An overtime pay lawsuit, alleging Petco willfully violated the Fair Labor Standards Act when it came to overtime pay laws will be allowed to continue after a judge denied Petco’s motion to dismiss. The lawsuit alleges Petco does not pay its managers overtime because the managers were improperly classified as exempt from overtime pay, despite performing many non-exempt tasks.
June 25, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Settled ]
Orchard Park, NY An unpaid wages lawsuit alleging police officers were not properly paid for time spent donning and doffing their uniforms has reportedly been settled. Meanwhile, a similar lawsuit has been thrown out of court, continuing the confusion over when employees should be paid for putting on and taking off uniforms and when they should not be. Recently, unpaid wages claims have also been filed by plaintiffs who allege they should be paid for time spent waiting for mandatory security checks when they leave retail establishments.
June 19, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Healthcare Contractor Hit with Unpaid Overtime Lawsuit, Plaintiffs Allege Missed Breaks ]
Oakland, CA As the mean population of the nation continues to age and baby boomers begin to live out their retirement years, an increased focus is placed on nursing and extended care facilities for the elderly, the residents they serve and the caregivers who work there. To that end, an unpaid overtime lawsuit was filed this week in California alleging that workers have been denied breaks and overtime pay, in violation of overtime pay laws and other statutes.
- $1.2M Settlement for Best Buy Worker Who Slipped Out of Unsafe Harness By The National Trial Lawyers (Jun-19-14)
- Internet Payday Lender May Owe As Much As $20 Million to Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-15-14)
- Cleveland Settles Ohio Employment Class Action with Municipal Workers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-14)
- Texas Employment: Construction Workers Subject to Violations of Their Rights By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-14)
- ERISA Lawsuits: DOL Taking Action against ERISA Violations By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-14)
- Snoop Dogg Dodges California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jun-9-14)
- Contractor Hit with Lawsuit for Ohio Employment Violations By Gordon Gibb (May-31-14)
- Texas Employment Law: Independent Contractors vs. Employees By Heidi Turner (May-29-14)
- California Lawsuit Results in $21 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-28-14)
- Bullied Microsoft Employee Gave His “Heart and Soul” to the Company By Brenda Craig (May-23-14)
- Plaintiffs in Texas Employment Lawsuit Settle “Souper” Wage Dispute By Gordon Gibb (May-15-14)
- Boeing Faces ERISA Suit Linked to Autism Coverage By Heidi Turner (May-15-14)
- Credit and Debit Card Companies Aiding the Fight against Predatory Internet Pay Loans By Gordon Gibb (May-14-14)
- Microsoft Hit with $11.6M Verdict for Wrongful Termination of Star Salesman By The National Trial Lawyers (May-13-14)
- Staples Subsidiary Hit with Off-the-Clock Work Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (May-9-14)
- Strippers and Health Care Workers File California Overtime Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (May-6-14)
- Texas Wage and Hour Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Apr-30-14)
- Social Worker Takes on California Hospitals in Overtime Pay Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Apr-26-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Accused of Charging Minnesotans Predatory Interest Rates By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-14)
- Withholding Paychecks a Violation of California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Apr-19-14)
- Texas Employment Lawsuit Alleges Wage and Hour Infractions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-16-14)
- DOL Forces Advisor to Pay for ERISA Violations By Heidi Turner (Apr-15-14)
- Hollywood Faces More Overtime Complaints By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-14)
- Tyson Foods Off-the-Clock Work Settlement Is Approved at Nearly $19 Million By Gordon Gibb (Apr-4-14)
- Feds Stick Up for the Little Guy and Ohio Employee Rights By Gordon Gibb (Apr-3-14)
- Minor Leaguers Accuse MLB of Not Playing Ball in Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-28-14)
- Landmark Ruling Threatens Internet Payday Loan Loophole By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-14)
- McDonald’s the Latest Corporation to Face California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Mar-21-14)
- Are Many ERISA Plans Being Run Improperly? By Heidi Turner (Mar-12-14)
- What Assemblyman Fox Has in Common with Chipotle Restaurant: California Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-10-14)
- Supreme Court to Hear Unpaid Wages Claim By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-14)
- $3.2 Million Settlement in California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-28-14)
- Unpaid Wages Lawsuits Filed against Call Centers By Heidi Turner (Feb-19-14)
- Banks Accused of Aiding and Abetting Predatory Internet Payday Loans By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-14)
- Employee Appealing to Florida Labor Law in Wrongful Termination By Jane Mundy (Feb-15-14)
- Misclassification Attempts to Avoid California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Feb-8-14)
- Excessive Fees ERISA Lawsuit Filed against Fidelity By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-14)
- The Untold Super Bowl Story: All the Super Bowl Lawsuits... By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-14)
- Giving and Taking Away Travel Time Violates California Overtime Laws By Jane Mundy (Jan-29-14)
- Denied New York Overtime a Real Problem for Reality TV Writers, Producers By Gordon Gibb (Jan-27-14)